Boston bound (Read 673 times)

qvision100

Hi: I was planning on taking the commuter rail to the start of the marathon in Hopkinton. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the Southborough stop to the Hopkinton state park and the bus pickup. Is it close enough to walk? Thanks Smile
      For someone with the ability to run a marathon, just about ANYTHING is walking distance.
      Tremont

I don't know the answer for your specific question but there are free shuttle buses in the morning from near the finish in Copley Square in Back Bay to the start in Hopkinton. I don't know where you're coming from but maybe it'd make more sense for you to take the Commuter Rail into Boston instead. Good luck in the race!
          For someone with the ability to run a marathon, just about ANYTHING is walking distance.
          Maybe before hand - but i've had some shocking struggles walking from the finish line to the car after the marathon!!! Big grin Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I have run 2 marathons and many half marathons before. None of them hurt as much as the half marathon I was forced to WALK due to a knee injury! My hats go off to the people who can endure 5+ hours of walking!
              It definitely looks close enough, depending on if the bus pickup is on the north side of the park or south side. Here is a map from the MBTA: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/stations/?stopId=24151&lat=42.267518&lng=-71.523621 I assume it would be right by the station, so you should be all set...
              PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season
              sluggo

John

Hi: I was planning on taking the commuter rail to the start of the marathon in Hopkinton. Can anyone tell me how far it is from the Southborough stop to the Hopkinton state park and the bus pickup. Is it close enough to walk? Thanks Smile
                I think your plan might be possible but still be a bad idea. Traffic around Hopkinton on Marathon day is severely restricted. I would figure that the MBTA buses from the Southborough commuter rail station will NOT be going anywhere close to the marathon start. I guess you could walk from the Southborough station to the start - it looks like it's about 2 mi - but I think it is a bad idea. Take one of the official buses from Boston. The bus will get you to the athlete's village with little fuss. You will also have your bag with desired clothing waiting for you at the finish. Another possibility is to take a running club bus to the start. I joined the Greater Lowell Road Runners last year and took their bus to Hopkinton. This worked out great. I was able to stay in a nice, warm, dry bus with its own porta-potty and watch the high wind and heavy, cold rain drench everything outside. hmmm - are you planning to join the race as a bandit? The official buses are normally restricted to official entrants. I have no idea how the bandits get to the start. I do know that the BAA would prefer they not show up at all.

John
                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"