Which would you rather PR, a 5K or a 10K? (Read 241 times)

npaden

Thought of this the other day on a run.  I'm in a marathon training session so plenty of time to think about things on runs.

I have a net downhill race coming up back where I grew up with a 5K and 10K option.  Both are extremely flat for the first 2 and 5 miles respectively with a 200' elevation drop on the last mile to the finish.

I'm already pretty close to PR shape for both, but I'm pretty sure the downhill at the finish would allow me to really hammer a PR in whichever distance I end up running.  I've been running for 5 years now so my increase in performance is starting to get offset by my increase in age so my PR's are getting harder to come by lately so whichever one of these I choose may end up being my all time PR for that distance.

My 5K PR is pretty recent at 21:12, based on my last race just Saturday (a 5 miler) the calculators say I should be able to sneak in under 21:00

My 10K PR is about my oldest PR at distances I regularly race at and the calculators show I would be right at my PR on it based on this last race.

I guess either PR would have an * beside it because they are downhill, but I didn't even realize that when I decided to run this race, it was because it was in the town I grew up, not because it was a downhill race.

Our local running club has 1 5k and 2 10k each year but if I'm working on a PR I can usually find another 5K to race pretty close.

I had originally planned to run the 10K on the race coming up and wasn't even planning on working on it as a PR race, but after finding out it was a downhill race I started thinking about PRs and the idea of going sub 21:00 on a 5K sounds appealing.

Lots of rambling like my usual posts.  Anyone have any input that would help me make a decision?

Thanks, Nathan

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

catwhoorg

Labrat

I just set a 10K PR last weekend, so based on the fact it is now older, the 5K would be an easy choice for me.

If it was a tossup I would always go with the more aged PR.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Well of course it's totally a personal preference. My only points would be:

- If you are currently in marathon training, racing a 10k might be a more appropriate workout.

- Based on your other PRs, I'd guess you'd more easily take a bigger chunk off the 10k PR.

- If you are looking for AG placing, my general experience (based on no data) is that the longer distances at a given event are more competitive. So you might be able to place better in the 5k.

- IMHO, 5k times are a more widely used currency - everyone knows what good 5k times are, 10k less so. I'd personally feel better about a strong 5k PR than its equivalent 10k time.

So if you're keeping score, that's 2 points in favor of 5k, 2 in favor of 10k. Glad to help.

Our PRs are pretty close; I think you'd probably be able to go sub-21 and sub-43. Good luck in whichever you choose!

Dave

Joann Y

5k. I think it would be easier (for me anyway) and it would be more an indicator of basic speed.

delicate flower

With a 200' drop the last mile of either distance, you'll be able to chop a greater percentage of time off your 5K.  Figure the last mile of a 5K is 33% of the race, and the last mile of a 10K is 17% of the race.

I like the 5K distance better, so I'd choose that one.  I'd probably feel the same way about PR'ing a race like that as I would if it was a looped 5K that measured short.  I had a 19:23 "PR" on a race that measured 2.95 miles.  It took me a couple of years to finally break it on an accurate course.

<3

#artbydmcbride

I would rather PR ..in this order:

Marathon

Half Marathon

10 miler

mile

If I can PR a marathon, I can also PR a half,

If I can PR a 10K, I can also PR a 5K

the reverse is not true...for me

Runners run

My 10k PR is much older and probably higher in quality but I'd still rather PR in the 5k. It's more iconic. Plus if I could PR in the 5k I'm pretty sure I'd have to be in shape to PR at both.

Neither seems likely for me.

Runners run

npaden

Another option that I've been toying with is running both races.

The 10K starts at 8:00 and the 5K starts at 9:00.  They are point to point races, but the start is only about 1 mile from the finish.

If I had someone lined out I could finish the 10K, get someone to drive me to the 5K start and then run the 5K.

If I did that I doubt I could PR the 5K, but it would be kind of fun to see how it went.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

The 5k, also. I see that PR the instant I think about racing again.

By the way, the 10k, is to me, the hardest and most mind-bending "common" race distance. Kudos to those who focus on it; for real.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Another option that I've been toying with is running both races.

The 10K starts at 8:00 and the 5K starts at 9:00.  They are point to point races, but the start is only about 1 mile from the finish.

If I had someone lined out I could finish the 10K, get someone to drive me to the 5K start and then run the 5K.

If I did that I doubt I could PR the 5K, but it would be kind of fun to see how it went.

If you raced them seriously, it would be a workout of workouts. But I cannot imagine your racing a 10k all-out, sitting in a car, then jumping out and PR'ing in the 5k.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

delicate flower

<3

npaden

It would be unbelievable to PR in both races back to back like that though!  The 10K will be more difficult to PR than the 5K like Baboon mentioned because the downhill accounts for much less % of the race.  Looking at past results I would have a pretty good chance of finishing in the top 10 in both races even if I don't end up with a PR in the 5K.  Might take a little bit of the whole "*" for it being a downhill race out of the equation.

I would have a whopping 15 minutes to recover between races.  It only costs $5 to enter more than one event (They also have a bike ride that starts at 9:30).

I'm really thinking that might be an option.

200 feet in the last mile. Whoa.

So, I ran a mile road race last year (and will again this year) that was a 140 drop start to finish. It was ridiculous. Like 25 seconds (at least) faster than a perfect flat mile. I do not count this as a PR. It is definitely a "fastest run mile", but not a real PR (to me).

200 feet - will be difficult to just keep from falling over yourself. That's a big asterisk but I will tell you it WILL be fun. Just going that fast is fun, even if it's aided.

Just random thoughts above. No opinion on which you should do.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

So, I ran a mile road race last year (and will again this year) that was a 140 drop start to finish. It was ridiculous. Like 25 seconds (at least) faster than a perfect flat mile. I do not count this as a PR. It is definitely a "fastest run mile", but not a real PR (to me).

Oh, hey, I ran that too and it broke me for the rest of the year. Probably tore a muscle in my lower abdomen. It was fun though!

Runners run

- If you are currently in marathon training, racing a 10k might be a more appropriate workout.

This.

Good luck with your race(s)?  If you decide to do both I would use the 10K as a warm-up.  Have fun.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt