New insoles - hurt my legs (Read 993 times)

Question: I have custom orthotics I've had for years, but they're starting to give me blisters. They, for some reason, have a top "layer" on them that is slowly coming off. I think, but haven't tried, I can just rip that part off and they'll be fine. I'll try that. But first, I went to a running store and got some new insoles. I tried on all kinds, and ended up with the ones with the stiffest arch, that mimicked my orthotics the best. Tonight I ran with them, and they were great for about 2 miles. At mile 2.5 I decided to stop, because I could fel shin splints coming on, so I walked the rest of the way home. My husband, who used to be a track star extraordinare, said to work through the pain, but sometimes he's an ass about stuff like that. Wink But is he right? he says to keep wearing them and ease them in slowly. Right? Wrong? Suggestions? with luck my customs will be ok after I do some doctoring but if not, do I continue with these ones, and "break them in"? I don't know much about insoles. Brand is Sole Custom Footbeds, if that makes a difference. I know the package says "your body may need time to adjust" - but as my body is already used to something that feels nearly identical with the arch support, does that still apply?

Michelle

the insoles need breaking in just like shoes...running a long way probably isn't the best idea... I used contact cement to reattach the top layer to the bottom and it has worked fine...
      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Be careful! I'm in PT as a result of putting new orthotics from the running store in my running shoes and not breaking them in (I took them home and ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill - the next day I couldn't walk). I was told by PT that you need to walk in them for awhile before you even think about running. I'm now getting used to my new custom orthotics, but the sports doc won't let me even think about running yet.
          I used contact cement to reattach the top layer to the bottom and it has worked fine...
          That's a good idea. I don't know that I need that top layer of the custom orthotic though... it's more like a shiny pretty layer on top of the meat of the thing. I think tonight I'll see if I can get that layer off and stick to those until after my race on 3/16. Then I'll try breaking in the other ones. Thanks!

Michelle

that nice shiny layer keeps your foot moving over the orthotic. Mine are full length ones and so I need the full length cover to keep the rest of it together. Contact cement is what they put it together with in the first place (or so I think from looking at the residue)

Double IPA Please!

Now see, I ran my first easy run today with my new inserts and I was not told nor did I know I needed to break them in. Who knew? However, I had not an issue running 4 miles in them today. I guess time will tell though. Undecided

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

So I took off the shiny layer and ran only 2 miles last night, and my shins were killing me. My husband says I should have stuck with the new insoles... I figured going back to what my feet/legs already know (I had only run without them ONCE) would be better. They're fine today, no pain. I won't be running until Monday now (learning how to xc ski tomorrow, then snowshoeing Sunday). We'll see...

Michelle

I ran with some new insoles and it banged up my arches so bad that I couldn't run again for a week or so. Go slowly...