Best post run recovery foods/drinks (Read 1662 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

In-N-Out Burger.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

wbudde

runwietecha

I'm not big on recovery foods because I feel like they really don't impact things very much.  But if I'm running a hard workout and am away from home, lately I'll mix a little whey protein with some homemade Gatorade.  I try to stay away from antioxidants before and after a run because there's some mixed research about their effectiveness for endurance athletes and some research shows they can even hurt adaptations..

I'm not big on recovery foods because I feel like they really don't impact things very much.  But if I'm running a hard workout and am away from home, lately I'll mix a little whey protein with some homemade Gatorade.  I try to stay away from antioxidants before and after a run because there's some mixed research about their effectiveness for endurance athletes and some research shows they can even hurt adaptations..

I agree about recovery foods not being important though there may be a distinction to be made: between a normal everyday workout and one where you really overdid it or got a huge PR or something.

The supplements industry would like us to believe we need all kinds of fancy stuff every single day. When I've tried it I've noticed no difference at all. Maybe there is a difference and it is really subtle, or maybe it's just all bogus. I can't tell and I really don't care. 

But once in awhile there is a day when I know at the end of the run that I just pushed too far. Maybe I bonked or maybe just overdid it. I know that I'm going to be in trouble tomorrow. What seems to happen is that if I just leave it alone I get sick or injured. Taking some carbs, protein, electrolytes, and Vitamin C with a bunch of water and then getting an hour nap seems to help a lot. There is nothing subtle about this.

xor

I'm not particularly an expert in anything.

But for races longer than 50K, I always suck down a DQ Blizzard later. For short races I just don't bother: I'd rather try not to get fat.

YMMV,

When I can find a DQ (which is easy peasy in Texas), this is on my list.  Yessir.  And of all the myriad mix-ins, I like that dip chocolate stuff the best... you know, the stuff they dip soft serve ice cream in and it firms up a la magic shell.  That stuff in a blizzard is LA BAMBA.

As for in-and-out burger, I've only done that at Southern California races and wasn't super impressed.

Dirty Grace Flint pointed me toward cheese curds at Culvers.  That's the next odd food on my post-race list to try.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dirty Grace Flint pointed me toward cheese curds at Culvers.  That's the next odd food on my post-race list to try.

They are good, but A&Ws are better...Culver's uses breading, rather than batter--go to any bar in WI and curds will be batter-fried.  Their frozen custard would be my pick from anything off their menu.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Ok.  But there ain't no A&W in Lawrence that I know of.  Culvers it is!

However, I guess now I have a reason to stop at an A&W elsewhere.  I don't think I have in, hmmm, 25 years maybe?  It doesn't help that they are sometimes two-fer'ed with Long John Silvers.  Love chicken planks, but I can't stands the smell of LJS.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok.  But there ain't no A&W in Lawrence that I know of.  Culvers it is!

Yeah, our nearest A&W is an hour away, I think.  We actually had one 5 minutes away for a while, but it closed...which is a good thing.  Nearest Culver's is still 35 minutes away.

Ooh, but we are getting a Panera 25 minutes away.  I think the first thing I will order is a blueberry "bagel." Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

However, I guess now I have a reason to stop at an A&W elsewhere.  I don't think I have in, hmmm, 25 years maybe?  It doesn't help that they are sometimes two-fer'ed with Long John Silvers.  Love chicken planks, but I can't stands the smell of LJS.

Oh, man, I used to LOVE the shrimp at LJS...and those battered fries!  Then I started getting hives and allergy symptoms at least half of the time I'd eat shrimp and that's a particularly dangerous food allergy, so I haven't had it in years.  Man, I miss it.  Our A&W was also paired with a LJS.  Yeah, just as well that it's gone.  That retail space has been empty for a long time.

~ Sarah Kay

jules2

Follow Chrissie Wellington advise " After the last ironman of this year's season in Arizona she demolished two burgers, three plates of chips and 15 donuts

She's quite a girl and this link is well worth reading,

http://jonathaninthedistance.blogspot.com/2011/01/chrissie-wellington.html

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Shoe

Chocolate or strawberry milk is often mentioned, though that is because it has a 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio that has been shown to increase glycogen synthesis and has the added perk of being tasty and easy to eat even if you don't feel like eating anything.  I was also told by a sports dietitian that routinely eats within an hour after working out will burn more fat and store more glycogen than one who goes without.  I don't remember her saying it was a huge difference, but it is an easy thing to do for any type of little boost.  I haven't gotten around to following that advice yet because I am so not hungry after running, but it's worth a thought.

When I can find a DQ (which is easy peasy in Texas), this is on my list.  Yessir.  And of all the myriad mix-ins, I like that dip chocolate stuff the best... you know, the stuff they dip soft serve ice cream in and it firms up a la magic shell.  That stuff in a blizzard is LA BAMBA.

My Grandparents and parents use to own a DQ for over 20 years in the Sacramento area.  I grew up in that place.  I was even in a commercial.  I was jumping on my bed with those baseball hats for sundaes in the background.  Fun times.  My dad use to take us to several different DQ conventions...one of which was in Hawaii.

I tried the specialized recovery drink with the 4:1 carb to protein ratio, then found that a can of canned fruit with several glasses of water and maybe a glass of OJ worked just as well.  After losing 5 to 7 lbs on a warm day medium or long run, rehydration is more important than carb/protein ratios.  YMMV, 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Culvers raspberry shake.  DQ Oreo Blizzard.

I'm with OTH on not buying the supplement industry's hocus pocus.  Still, I don't mind Juice Stop's concoctions without the Magic Powders added.

Imminent Catastrophe

As for in-and-out burger, I've only done that at Southern California races and wasn't super impressed.

Well, it wasn't Ivar's. 

Hal Koerner recently had In-N-Out burgers delivered to an aid station. Awesome.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016