Running Shorts (Read 2353 times)

Beware, batbear...

So, now that summer is here, I think I figured out why long running shorts are a bad idea.  With all the sweat, they get really heavy.  Anybody got any advice on where to get good (cheap) running shorts (and what to buy)?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Lazy idiot

I buy the Champion running shorts at Target.  Maybe $12-15-ish?

They don't hold much water at all.

Tick tock

The shirtless wonder

I used to buy the Champion shorts from Target and they are pretty good.  Then I was lucky enough to get a pair of Mizuno Mustang shorts for free when a Mizuno rep visited my local running store.  Once I started wearing those I started to hate the Champion shorts.  The Champion/C9 shorts don't breath.  Compared to the Mizunos it is like running in a plastic bag.

Greg

#artbydmcbride

Go to Ross or a TJ Maxx store and check out the men's sportswear section.  You should be able to find some brand name running shorts at discount prices.   I've bought Nike, Puma, and Addidas there.

Runners run

Go to Ross or a TJ Maxx store and check out the men's sportswear section.  You should be able to find some brand name running shorts at discount prices.   I've bought Nike, Puma, and Addidas there.

Do you have a running store town?  I tend to find their prices very comparable to big box stores when it comes to apparel.

Otherwise, Kohls has good stuff at good prices, too.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

Kohls, Marshalls, TJMaxx can yield buried treasure.  But you have to subject yourself to going through aisles and aisles of useless, fugly crap that no one would wear and you may find something good once every 2 or 3 trips.  And the one good item you find WILL be in some bright color that can be seen from space (I think we had this discussion before).  I can't bear to be in those places so now I just buy decent shorts at a local running store, pay up and I'm outta there and can go run.

Hey Batensmack,

Beside's shoes, shorts are probably the area where I am most likely to buy a name brand (like Nike or Asics) and not pinch pennies.  They just seem to fit better than champion and others I've tried.  Good news is that if you wash properly, they last a long time.

Besides what's mentioned here, you can try outlet stores (if you live near a tourist trap) as well as online (Dick's or other similar big box stores will work).  Zappos.com has running clothes too.

That said, If cost is extremely important (don't flame me people for this!), I would avoid specialty running stores unless you can catch good sale.

steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

i sacrificed the gift

USMC PT shorts are my favorite.  They're regular running shorts, semi-splits with a liner, the US military just has weird names for things.  They're as good as anything Nike and friends makes and cheap as can be.

I get them from here: http://www.usmcblues.com/ptgear.html

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                  Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                  Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

an amazing likeness

Save the $, run nekid. 

Flapping in the breeze is the way to go.

Like truck nuts.

That, or go for Nike Dri-Fit.  Good stuff.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

not quite naked, but soon ...

so, i come up from my basement treadmill the other day (long day at work, so ran at home) and, despite a dehumidifier and fan,  and only boxers, i was drenched. my wife says, is that sweat? eeeeehwhhwhhwhwwh gross. why don't you just run naked.

believe i will be doing that. save on laundry. (i think she just may have the hots for me though )

otherwise, yeah, as cheap as i can get. like the pockets in the mid back when i can get 'em.

marshalls. tjmaxx. outlets (we have some near us) and i try to support my local running store.

I need to buy my man some new running shorts.  Why are they so expensive? 

Can you still buy the Champion ones at Target?  Are they decent still ?    

That's where I've been getting my tech stuff for myself lately.

- Anya

In my experience, the Champion shorts, well, ride up and bunch in uncomfortable areas.  They are very slow to dry compared to stuff from Saucony, Nike, Adidas, though they are better than the "basketball shorts" I ran in before I lost weight.

Of those, I like Saucony best--the Inferno stuff in particular.  Entirely worth the money.  Nike's Dri-Fit shorts are fine but, well, I wear a small in them for my waist (I hate having extra fabric cinched up tight).  But I'm 6' tall.  I'm okay with short shorts...but DAMN does getting them in small push the limits.  Have them, wear them, but prefer Saucony.  Hind stuff has been pretty nice, too--when I can find it.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

I see, would like to find some awesome shorts that are at least under $30 !!!  

But, I understand that if you invest in a couple of good pairs, they will last.  I'm just trying to find a bargin , I guess. 

- Anya

I see, would like to find some awesome shorts that are at least under $30 !!!  

But, I understand that if you invest in a couple of good pairs, they will last.  I'm just trying to find a bargin , I guess. 

RunningWarehouse: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRA-SMISS12.html (Infernos are $31.95--they have discount codes for 10-15% off online to take that down to just under $30.).  I also really like the Inferno "short tights," but I know not everyone likes compression: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRA-SMIFTS4.html

They've also got some limited stuff on clearance, too.  Check out their main-page "apparel specials" link.

Hope that's at least a little helpful Smile.

MTA: linkification

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

MrH

I find Nike Dri-Fit shorts great. They are often under $30 at Dicks Sports. I have about half a dozen pairs and pick them up whenever I see them on sale there.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.