How much faster was your second marathon? (Read 321 times)

xhristopher

How much faster was your second marathon?

Wing

Joggaholic

I stupidly ran a couple of 26 miles "training runs" before my first marathon race, I wonder if those count as 1st and 2nd marathon?

Training run 1: 4:32

Training run 2: 4:22

Race 1: 4:07

Race 2: 3:59

32 seconds, scarred me enough that I haven't run another since, probably won't for a while.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I trained my butt off using the Pfitz 18/55 plan for my first marathon and ran a 3:24:24, good enough for a BQ. I did not train specifically for the LA Marathon (but I had a good base) and melted in the heat, 4:09:23.

bhearn

Pfitz 24/55 for first marathon, Victoria, 3:12, BQ

Pfitz 18/55 for second marathon, faster training paces, Boston, 3:43 (blew up in the heat)

Feeling the growl again

2:53 --> 2:37 = 16 minutes, probably as much better pacing as anything else.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Need to set the poll categories so they don't overlap (e.g. like age groups). I went from 4:16 to 4:06, wasn't sure whether to check 5-10 or 10-20. Had to go back & look at the seconds, sadly it was 5-10.

Better training, specifically mileage volume; 1st was pretty ill-advised to run at all. Conditions for the 2nd were actually significantly worse, ~20 deg warmer & hillier.

Dave

BeeRunB

4:14 to 3:45

I think my body liked Vermont and Ben & Jerry's better than Cape Cod and cranberry juice. 

Had to go back & look at the seconds, sadly it was 5-10.

You did the right thing by checking. The integrity of the data in this type of poll is critically important.

Runners run

You did the right thing by checking. The integrity of the data in this type of poll is critically important.

Well yeah, it's that whole butterfly effect thing.

Dave

First 3:16:19 and a solid BQ.....Second 3:12:54 with some pacing and fueling mistakes.

4:31:09-->3:32:01  Went out too fast in the first and run/walked it from mile 9. Ugly. #2 was run 9 years later.

MTA: A better comparison would be between the second and third, an improve of 2 minutes after another year of solid running.

No Talent Drips

As with cigarettes, I understand the first and the third. But why oh why the second?

Dei Gratia

Slower in marathon #2.

First marathon 3:18 (1997 Portland, OR) vs. 3:21 one year later (1998 Victoria, BC)

slower by 2 minutes in #1.

1985, 3:01 (major crash at mile 20 - took 60 minutes for the last 10k)

1995: 3:03

Then, not another until about 2008.