How much faster was your second marathon? (Read 321 times)

X - I'm happy to report that I fall into the 0-5 club.  Although I improved a little in my marathon times between #1 and #2, what I really improved on was increasing my positive split times.  

You know when you set a half PR during a marathon you are going to either have a really great race or blow up big time.  Unfortunately it was a big blow up for race #2.

xhristopher

Need to set the poll categories so they don't overlap (e.g. like age groups).

You should have seen the first draft of the poll. I was just nuts.

Actually I think I made it a little more robust since I hope to submit my scientific findings without any peer review for publication on the website of a Navy Seals trainer who is qualified by virtue of having a website and being a Seal trainer to vouch for the thruthyness of the study in order prove that ostriches run faster than people. After that I'll post the link right back here to prove my point and call you all names. Got it? Thanks.

delicate flower

#1:  4:16 - Oct 2011

#2:  3:58  (18 minute improvement) - May 2012

#3:  3:45  (13 minute improvement) - Oct 2012

#4 is in 10 weeks and should easily be my biggest improvement yet, barring a disaster.

<3

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

11/12/2011   --  4:01:53

03/17/2012  --  3:56:46

And since, it's been all down hill.

I blame Trent.

steph  

You should have seen the first draft of the poll. I was just nuts.

Actually I think I made it a little more robust since I hope to submit my scientific findings without any peer review for publication on the website of a Navy Seals trainer who is qualified by virtue of having a website and being a Seal trainer to vouch for the thruthyness of the study in order prove that ostriches run faster than people. After that I'll post the link right back here to prove my point and call you all names. Got it? Thanks.

Actually if you just trade email with a former Navy Seal turned fitness trainer and he mentions the email on a message board, we'll call it good.

Nice work here, x.

Runners run

3:42 in 2003 - for my first marathon, training averaged 26 miles per week of running while alternating days with cycling.

3:17 in 2005 - waited 2 years before trying another marathon.  Had given up bike racing by this point.

Last marathon in 2013 was 2:46.  I'll see if I can come closer to taking an hour off my first one this year at Boston.

joescott

12 minutes as I recall.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

spinach

There was a 26 year gap between one and two for me, and that also about how much my time improved.  I had a few second improvement from 2 to 3.

Stef

Number 6 and 7 planned this year so far. Hoping to finally crush 4 hrs.

It always seems impossible, until it's done. ~ Nelson Mandela

jfa

4:22 to 4:11. Then Monkey (can't train for that one), then 3:59. Have not really improved since then (4 years ago) but trying for a big PR this fall.

Prince of Fatness

I have only run two and doubt that I'll ever run another.

18 minutes.  Should have been more but life events got in the way for the second one.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

The secret to really good improvements is to run the first one REALLY undertrained.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xhristopher

The secret to really good improvements is to run the first one REALLY undertrained.

Damn straight!

I ran my first when I was barely ready to cover the distance. Thankfully I ran it smart and steady. I then trained for another full year and dropped over 45 minutes. Since I haven't dropped 10 minutes in seven tries.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Went from the Couch to the marathon in 9mos.  Wasn't so much undertrained as didn't have the base to start with and was still at the start of the power-curve.  Dropped from 3:32 to 3:08 in the next attempt 7mo later.  I trained hard as I could for the first one and harder for the second.

But if I had skipped the first race and only run the second, I don't think I would have been under 3:20.  I learned a lot from the first race -- and learned even more about training after I started with a coach.  I think you learn a lot about the pain and psychological challenges you go through after mile 20.  Helps you prepare for them in the second race.

I don't have a running background, so maybe the late-race effort is known even for those who did shorter distances in a previous life.  To me it was a surprise.  I'd read all the literature beforehand; I "knew" what to expect, but only in the sense that a teen reading about sex knows what to expect from his/her first orgasm.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

L Train

4:28 to 3:45.  Both undertrained, both disappointments.  But I suppose I could always view myself as undertrained.