How much faster was your second marathon? (Read 321 times)

Prince of Fatness

4:28 to 3:45.  Both undertrained, both disappointments.  But I suppose I could always view myself as undertrained.

Then you really should be U Train.

Not at it at all. 

jfa

For those of you that improved, what was the biggest reason(s) for your better times?

running metalhead

For those of you that improved, what was the biggest reason(s) for your better times?

Pfizinger!!!!

I went from 4:00:18 (Amsterdam 2011) to 3:21:47 (Utrecht 2012).

Pity that he has no plans for ultras.... anyway, I'm happy with my current one, wont get me a first place in the UTMB but I'm really enjoying the change in perspective a lot.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

joescott

I actually made an honest effort to train.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Prince of Fatness

Better base going into the training cycle.

10 - 15 mpw more during the training cycle.

More structured training cycle (I actually did some workouts vs just putting in the miles).

10 - 15 pounds lighter on race day.

Another interesting data point ... I did 2 20 milers before the first one and no 20 milers before the second (maxed out at a little over 19).

Not at it at all. 

Running Rev'd

#1 - 5:07, probably undertrained due to work scheduling plus stomach issues/heat for the last 7-8 miles. Fun!

#2 - 4:47, technically a training race, much more consistent training, cooler temps, and better fueling

That was 2012. Using FIRST/Run Less, Run Faster, I knocked my marathon time down to 4:27 this past October.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Feeling the growl again

Better pacing, higher mileage, longer tempos.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Higher quality meth.

Higher quality meth.

Still funny.

2003: 4:57:39

2004: 3:51:01

Biggest differences:

Had run >10 miles in a single day prior to the race in 2004.

Didn't get hit in my leg by a molotov cocktail three weeks before the race in 2004.

kcam

My 1st to 2nd improvement was 15 minutes on a much tougher course (Austin vs Big Sur).  I think I might have run a little more but I'm not sure about that as I lost my logs from back then.  I do remember that I went out MUCH easier in the second one and was able to cruise in on the 2nd half of Big Sur.

bhearn

My 1st to 2nd improvement was 15 minutes on a much tougher course (Austin vs Big Sur).  I think I might have run a little more but I'm not sure about that as I lost my logs from back then.  I do remember that I went out MUCH easier in the second one and was able to cruise in on the 2nd half of Big Sur.

I've run Big Sur four times, and I still cannot figure out that damn course.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

1st 3:36  18 wks of running (running injuries and a non running surgery preceding training), poorly executed, went out at 3:15 pace despite aiming for a 3:30 time. Had a 15+ minute positive split and shear agony for the last 7+ miles. Very painful recovery. Maybe could have run a 3:25 if I was pacing better

2nd 3:15 10 months later on steady training and perfect pacing. Never had any doubts during the run. Maybe could have squeezed a few more minutes. But my recovery was easy.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Charles G

1st  3:21:45 Ocean State 1983

2nd 3:16:59 Cape Cod 1984

I had already run 50 races before my first and I trained better than any other marathon except my PR.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

12 minutes

#1:  4:30, severely undertrained, used a HIgdon plan; went out too fast in the beginning, everything started seizing up on me starting at mile 15, and it was death march from mile 19 on.  It sucked.

#2:  4:18, used Pftizinger's 18/55 plan, but tweeked it a little bit; I also paced better in the beginning, despite it being downhill for the first 10 miles.  No real issues to report other than both ITBs being shot once I crossed the finish line.