What next? (Read 269 times)

StumpyGirl

Hello!

I just joined up and have uploaded some stats.  I am not one of nature's natural runners, but I like to be healthy and to challenge myself so I aimed for 10k in 1 hour and then 5k in 28.5 minutes which I have hit using the 10k and 5k pacer iPhone apps, which schedule an interval run, tempo run and long run every week.  I'm pleasantly surprised at having achieved those times, but from reading around recently, I think I've been pushing it more than I should have.  The app says to run "easy" with "slightly faster (15 seconds/mile faster)" intervals, but I think I've been using "moderate" and "couldn't keep that up for long" paces every session.  I did one long run at my true "easy" pace the morning after a hard evening run, and it was over 11:00 mins/mile instead of the 9:30 I'd done the week before. When I did my fastest 5k I took my heart rate on the treadmill, 15 minutes "easy" had me at 165 bpm, 3 minutes "slightly faster" took me to 172 bpm, another 15 minutes "easy" and I was up to 176 bpm which sounds like it might be a bit too much really!  I don't think I would get a race time any faster than my training times.

I don't know what to do now, if I drop it down to true "easy"/"slightly faster" paces I may lose my sense of progress as my times will be much slower and I may get bored.  I would join a club for company and interest but they tend to run on pavements and my knees only like grass or treadmill.  I can see it might be time to go back to "easy" pace and build up the distances instead, but really an hour's running is enough for me, I don't want to spend my whole life plodding round the park in circles!  I am not bothered about doing official races.  So if I do keep following the pacer apps which have kept me motivated, do you think I should really drop right back to "easy" and "slightly faster", if so should I "race" myself every now and then to keep that sense of achievement that motivates me to run, and if so how often should I do that?  Or shall I quit while I'm ahead, as my stumpy little legs may have achieved what they can in terms of running already!  Or do you have any other ideas for keeping myself interested and motivated please?

Thanks!

Stumpy

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

OK... so, you have neither a problem nor a goal.

If you're happy with what you're doing, keep doing it.

Liz

pace sera, sera

npaden

Everyone is different.  Only you know what will really motivate you and keep you running.  That's the long term goal for me.  Just keep running.

For me, adding in true easy runs really made the difference in my enjoyment of running.  Now it is simply a time management issue with when I can work in the time to get my run in, I don't dread running at all and actually enjoy it a little.  When every run was an effort I tended to dread going on a run and would come up with excuses to not get the run in.

If you start running easy you might be surprised that your knees might be able to handle some different terrain also.

Running with other people can really help in motivation as well for some people.

Good luck.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Half Fanatic #846

should I "race" myself every now and then to keep that sense of achievement that motivates me to run, and if so how often should I do that?  Or shall I quit while I'm ahead, as my stumpy little legs may have achieved what they can in terms of running already!  Or do you have any other ideas for keeping myself interested and motivated please?

You could quit if you have no desire to improve, no other motivation such as maintaining fitness, and don't enjoy "plodding round the park".  What do you mean "quit while I'm ahead" - ahead of what?  You have not even come close to reaching your potential.  Are your 5K and 10K just part of a "Bucket List"?

Before you finally decide what to do, you could sign up for a real 5K Race, preferably one benefitting a charity - not a time trial, not a treadmill run, not a "race" by yourself.  Afterward, If you decide this isn't for you, you will have at least contributed to a worthwhile cause and probably found out a few things about yourself. Whatever you decide, please let us know how much you beat your previous time by.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sounds like your app is confusing you.  Why not drop it and just run the way you want to run?

Around here, the advice you'll get is to run lots, mostly easy, sometimes fast.  Enough said.

Member Since 2008

It sounds like you need to leave your gadgets at home and just go out for the love of running.  Soak in your surroundings and be happy that you can do something that most people in the world can't.  This is just one man's opinion.

StumpyGirl

Thanks guys.  Sorry if I came across like a big whinger!

So from what you've said it sounds like I should be safe to carry on doing like I'm doing without going slower, but could add in easier runs as well.

Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet brerfootbill!  I guess I feel like I've reached my potential as what I can do now seemed totally unimaginable to begin with, but thanks for your faith in me, maybe I do have more in me yet!  I don't have a bucket list, the 10k in an hour was just something that always impressed me when people could do it as I have always found running so hard.  I shall find a 5k race and keep you posted as requested.

I have had another look and a women's club near me does park runs every Saturday so hopefully I could join them at least for those.  I do think that having a social side to it would help my motivation, even this bit of chat here has helped!

Go PRE I like your advice best of all.

Thanks,

Stumpy

StumpyGirl

Ok so I went and did a 5k Park Run today, not exactly a hardcore race but it is timed and involves people other than me, and on grass so knee-friendly!  Very nice atmosphere and a beautiful day in the park.  I left my gadgets at home and got a time of 30:05 which is not as fast as my fastest treadmill one, but there were some little hills so that's ok.  Afterwards I felt like I could have run longer but not faster.  Although if I knew about those 5 seconds at the time I would have knocked them off somehow I'm sure!  Smile

I think I have decided, my winter plan is:

1 long run on grass every weekend unless I'm away, take them pretty easy and start adding a little distance each week, there's no reason not to, I do have time at the weekends, and I often finish a run feeling like I could go longer once I catch my breath.  I've downloaded the app that takes me 10k-21k so I have something to tick off each week, it is satisfying!

Throw in some 5k timed park runs on saturdays every few weeks for fun, but not every week as a 5k race Saturday and long run sunday might be a bit much and I want to keep the long runs.

While the weeknights are dark, do as much treadmill as I can enjoy which is probably a couple of nights a week no more than half an hour at a time.  One intervals, one tempo run from the 5k pacer app, taking the easy parts easier than I have been.  These might get swapped out if I have more fun/sociable kinds of exercise to do.

Then once the evenings get light again I can ditch the treadmill and go park the whole time.  Yay!

Smile

Half Fanatic #846

Sounds like you're enjoying it, that's the most important part!

Here's a suggestion - Your app might to be too aggressive for right now. Even if you ran seven days a week, three hard runs is probably too much (long, tempo, interval). For every hard workout, you should consider having one or two easy runs. I would suggest dropping the tempo or the intervals; or alternating one each week. You'll still see improvement, and have less risk of injury. Just my 2cents worth.

And don't get caught up in "racing" your park runs, or comparing them to your PR. Unless it's the occasional time trial or official race, they should be easy pace. Use most of the timed park runs to confirm you are running these easy runs slow enough to be easy pace. Or, you could simply turn your park runs into your tempo day and bump your long run day up to midweek.

Whatever you do, good luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

StumpyGirl

Thank you brerfootbill.  I think with the midweek runs I will see how I feel each day and take some of them easy.  Though the good thing about the app is that going at different paces breaks up the treadmill monotony a bit.  Once the evenings get lighter it will be much better and I will get some longer runs into midweek.  I didn't get off to a great start with my planned longer run today, one knee was hurting so I decided not to extend the distance this week but have been and bought myself some new trainers which were due so hopefully that will help and I can go a bit further next week.  I don't think I would enjoy doing the timed park run at my easy pace as I would be last to finish and wouldn't enjoy that, but I can do it on my own instead.

endurancenerd

Chief Endurance Dork

I would agree that originally your app was a bit on the aggressive side.  But it sounds like you're on the right track.

A long run (on a soft surface if you can manage it) is a good addition.  I would encourage you to not be afraid of slower runs sprinkled in.  Your easy runs (long and short) are where you're really building your aerobic engine.  The more efficient you get, the faster you can run at a lower heart rate.

Most of the injured runners that I see got that way from running tempo too often.  Their tempting -- tempo runs feel good, they feel like we're getting something significant done, but when you do them too often they work against us.

It also depends on how many days a week you're running:

If you're out there only 3 days a week, then I wouldn't do a long run and your (1) tempo run should be pretty short; other two runs are slow and easy.

4 days per week -- maybe a long-ish (the scientific term ;-)) run, a short tempo run and two slow and easy runs.

5 days per week -- 1 long run, 1 tempo, 3 slow and easy

6 days per week -- 1 long. 1 tempo, 1 speed. 3 slow and easy

7 days per week -- almost no one should run 7 days per week (at least consistently)

an amazing likeness

7 days per week -- almost no one should run 7 days per week (at least consistently)

Data behind this, please?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

runmichigan

Why do you say this?

Half Fanatic #846

There goes my holiday streak.

Data behind this, please?

Well, almost no one does (in the grand scheme of things.)

Runners run