Sub 4:00 Mile Training Advice (Read 121 times)

Riman643

Hi all,

I had a previous post about this about a year back. I am really trying to give my best effort in the mile with ultimate goal of breaking 4 minutes. I am really less concerned about actually breaking 4 minutes but at least trying my absolute hardest to train for something, give it my best shot, and have the chips fall where they may. Unfortunately, my last post seems to be lost in the ether and all of the valuable advice I received has been lost. So I am stuck trying to remember the fragments of knowledge that I remember reading about. Right now I have broken up a proposed roadmap to follow based on the advice I got last time.

(1) Build up weekly mileage to 35 km a week

(2) Build up weekly mileage to 35 mi a week

(3) Cut weight and improve diet

(4) Build up weekly mileage to ?? mi a week

(5) Start training specifically for the mile

So what I remember from last time, and it really kind of blew my mind, is that building up a weekly mileage is key for running, even for the mile. At my peak at almost 3 years ago (yikes!) I was running 5 miles every day with really no goal or strategy. Just simply running. I am hoping to get back to that through my own custom plan. This past summer I tried jumping into it with running 5 km every day and it really messed me up. My right leg still has issues because of it. This time I am taking my time and slowly building up to running 5 km every day. I am now in week 8 in my plan and running 4 days a week. In these runs I am slowly increasing the distance I am running and then walking the rest of the way. For instance, today I ran 1.34 km  and walked the remaining 3.66 km and on Tuesday I am going to increase that to 1.42 km running and walking 3.58 km. These are minimal distances but given the fact that my leg still has problems, I am the heaviest I have ever weighed, and I am in the worst shape I have ever been in, I feel like this is what will work best to slowly get me back into things. On my off days I will either take them completely off or just walk for an hour which is usually just the 5 km course I run/walk on my training days.

Once I am comfortably running 5km everyday I am going to transition to 5 mi everyday. Hopefully this transition will be much faster as I will be in the swings of running everyday and can safely increase distance weekly without too much wear and tear. I am hoping whatever is bothering my leg just disappears completely on its own.

After building my mileage up to 5 mi a day, I think I will definitely focus on my weight and diet next. Right now I am 5'8" and fluctuate from 235 - 240 lbs which is horrendously awful. I am hopeful that by the time I am running 5 mi every day I will be slimmer, and with that daily exercise it will make dropping weight easier and I will just have to maintain my cardio and focus on diet.

Once I am at a good weight (I think I remember being told 130 - 145 was optimal) I will then increase my mileage to whatever the consensus is from this forum. I cannot remember for the life of me what was recommended last time but I believe it was 70+ mi a week, but I could be completely wrong. Hopefully you guys can help me with that.

Then finally training specifically for the sub 4:00 mile will be the last leg. I am sure that training for a fast 4:00 min mile has different cycles and stages and I remember one member on this forum gave a really good guide that I can no longer find so if any of you could give some insight into a good training program you all have used for this middle distance type stuff that would be great. Also at this point I might consider joining a local running club, just to help me with fundamentals. Right now I am just running on pure will and I have no idea if my bio mechanics are good or if my breathing technique is good and stuff like that.

So basically, for now this is the plan. Please feel free to comment and give any suggestions. I waited a bit this time before posting because I wanted to make sure I had a track record of consistency (currently now at 8 weeks of consistent and intentional runs/walks) so that I don't wast all of your time. Thanks in advance for reading and giving me tips. I truly appreciate it!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Rest days are important. If you don't rest, you won't recover, and you won't improve.

And getting trapped in a 7 day training cycle simply because it fits on the calendar doesn't make much sense. Body feedback like resting heart rate are better than the rise and fall of the Sun in determining recovery and readiness for the next hard workout.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Just remember that while running training is formulaic, especially for beginners (it's not hard at all for a new runner to improve) - as you get closer to the elite level (and sub-4:00 is unquestionably elite) training is art as well as science.

There is no combination of weight loss plus mileage plus workouts that is guaranteed to get you to sub-4, or even near that.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Riman643

Did you mean this thread?

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/789ad42e63e04a8daaf3c5b8a2f4b775#focus

Yes! Thank you. For some reason I cannot access it in my history of posts or through the search function.

Riman643

Rest days are important. If you don't rest, you won't recover, and you won't improve.

And getting trapped in a 7 day training cycle simply because it fits on the calendar doesn't make much sense. Body feedback like resting heart rate are better than the rise and fall of the Sun in determining recovery and readiness for the next hard workout.

How much should one rest per week? 1 or 2 days?

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

At least one and on your easy days or shorter runs they should be very slow and easy

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

every other day. Easy day, hard day, easy day, hard day. And most people take one day a week off totally from running. I'm currently taking 5-6. 

Some elites only have one or two hard days a week, all the other days are jogging lots of miles at a pace slower than most racewalkers. Oh, and crosstraining, of course. Lots of core work.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's mostly a personal decision.  The focus should be on recovery.  That does not require a day off, but does require days with less effort.  That can be a day off, but can also be a short, easy run or walking.  If you find yourself running too hard or fast on days that should be easy for recovery, then it might be better to take a rest day.  Personally I find one or two rest days a month enough, and I take them more for a mental break, crappy weather, or other life events interfering.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So, at the moment you are unable to run a full mile without getting injured. Last year you ran 5ks every day until you messed up your right leg after 10 consecutive days. In addition you have gained 30-40 pounds. Your A-goal is a 4 minute mile.

I like it - sounds like a David vs Goliath or Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson. Keep us posted!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

CalBears

So, at the moment you are unable to run a full mile without getting injured. Last year you ran 5ks every day until you messed up your right leg after 10 consecutive days. In addition you have gained 30-40 pounds. Your A-goal is a 4 minute mile.

I like it - sounds like a David vs Goliath or Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson. Keep us posted!

Please don't discourage people - one thing I miss so much from old RWOL times is the threads like this, that makes forum much more interesting. Reading stuff from boring people like us is so boring.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Please don't discourage people - one thing I miss so much from old RWOL times is the threads like this, that makes forum much more interesting. Reading stuff from boring people like us is so boring.

Fair enough. When is your sub 2:00 marathon thread coming? We know you have it in you 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Reach for the moon!  Even if you miss, you will land among the stars. 👊

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Fair enough. When is your sub 2:00 marathon thread coming? We know you have it in you 

I told you - I am boring, no imagination. Plus, even if I target sub 2 (of course, you should remember for my AG I should only run slow 2:21 marathon), what about Mikkey - who he will be competing with next Boston?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I will be reaching for the moon at Boston 2022.

The world is my oyster.

I can, and I will.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)