trail running vs. road running question (Read 800 times)

Runner

Just curious. I have started doing my long runs on the trails and it seems that they are causing pain in my right knee. It is not a pain like an injury pain but rather a pain that feels like tightness and maybe a little swelling in an area I don't notice when I run on the roads. Does anyone else ever experience this. I did a 20 miler today on a trail(probably longer than I should have gone but I feel pretty good, and my knee isn't very sore at all now but there is zero pain when I run roads. (I keep doing it because I figure and want validated) My hypothesis is that I am strengthening a weakness in my knee and it is letting me know it. Thanks for any responses or thoughts.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

finney

Resident pinniped

I'm not a huge fan of trails. I seem to get LOTS of ankle problems when I run on them. It might be an issue of weakness, adapting to the uneven surface, or whatever else. I'll do it once in a while for variety, but they just don't agree with me overall.

Half Fanatic #846

About 2 years ago, I decided it would be fun to do a 4 mile trail run instead of my usual road run. It was fun, but I was sore for two days Surprised (from dodging rocks and limbs, turning sharply, tripping, even falling - using some different muscles). Then two months ago I began running trails once a week for variety, and those little pains and nicks from running differently over a much different terrain are much better now than when I first started. I still trip and fall once in a while when I don't pay attention... I peeked at your log and my 2 cents worth is that you doubled your trail mileage since the last trail run - maybe ease up on the trail mileage (as you suggested) and increase gradually, because it can be so much different than the road. Be careful! There's probably a fine line between "strengthening a weakness" and becoming injured. I look forward to my trail runs more than any other now! Big grin Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Ostrich runner

I love trail running, but it is best to not pay attention to pace or distance--only pay attention to effort while trail running, especially over trails that are new to you.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

A Saucy Wench

Just curious. I have started doing my long runs on the trails and it seems that they are causing pain in my right knee. It is not a pain like an injury pain but rather a pain that feels like tightness and maybe a little swelling in an area I don't notice when I run on the roads. Does anyone else ever experience this. I did a 20 miler today on a trail(probably longer than I should have gone but I feel pretty good, and my knee isn't very sore at all now but there is zero pain when I run roads. (I keep doing it because I figure and want validated) My hypothesis is that I am strengthening a weakness in my knee and it is letting me know it. Thanks for any responses or thoughts.
            Be careful. My friend was training for a marathon last year and was doing her long runs on trails. One day things just went horribly wrong. I cant remember if it was while running or she just woke up one morning and things were seriously pissed. She couldnt run for weeks after that and the PT and sports doc said it was from too many trail miles - you have to add them slower than road miles because the stability muscles are not usually ready to ramp up like that.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Imminent Catastrophe

Trail running definitely takes some time and distance to adapt to, but it will really strengthen your legs once you get enough miles in. Yes, there's greater chance of a traumatic injury like a sprain or falling on your face (you must never lose concentration on the trail or you will pay the price), but less chance of chronic injury like road running can cause, IMHO. Be careful, it can be addictive.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

First, trail running is a great way to get long runs in and are a staple of my training. However, you shouldn't just jump onto a trail and replace your long run with no buildup, as perfesser said. Basically, on the roads every step is the same, so you can get an ultraefficient running stride (not that you will, but you can.) You can also get chronic over use injuries very easily. Running on trails requires you to take a different step each time, angling your legs and ankles in such a way that you are less likely to get repetitive motion injuries. You also get less force returned from the ground when you push off so you have to work harder to run on grass or on trails than you do on the roads. The corrallary to that is that there is less pounding and you can recover faster from equivalent workouts, assuming that you have the strength to do that workout on the trails. If your knee is hurting after long trail runs, I'd hold off on doing them for a little bit. Try running a shorter run each week on the trails, and then work up to 2 short runs or a medium run. Eventually you'll be doing your long runs on the trails pain free. Also be aware that your road shoes may not be appropriate for trail running, and might contribute to your problems with your knee. That'll depend upon the types of trails that you run and the style of running you use. Here are a few basic articles on migrating to trails that is centered on road runners: Trail Running 101 Trail Running for Road Runners

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Top 'O the World!

Yep! What Blaine said....plus add balance type cross training to your workout week to strengthen muscles that are "underused" in road running......your lungs will also appreciate the break from exhaust fumes if you tend to be more metro...
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group