Enough base for a HM? (Read 693 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I guess I just need some opinions about whether I have enough base mileage to handle a HM. It isn't scheduled until December and I should have around 500 miles under foot by then. I've done 2 5ks, a 10k, and a 10 mile run to this point. Looks like I'll probably do another 5k and 10k in the months before the half. Don't know why I'm suddenly unsure about my prep, but I am. I'm not looking to win the half, just finish in something around 2:10. Input?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Lia's Daddy

Based on your training log I think you could certainly finish a half. I think you could really enjoy it if you start upping your weekly mileage.
      "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
      theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, runningwild. With the schedule I'm on to prep for the half, I'll be running 25-30 mpw in the last month and a half before the HM. I'm trying to not add too much, too fast, but I agree that my mpw needs to be higher. I have never run before I started in April, so I'm wide open to suggestions.

Paul

Based on those tempo paces you have the speed to finish under 2:00, when I did my first half marathon this April, the fastest I ever ran was about 9 min/mile with my longest run being about 11 miles and finished around 2:05 and could have run a couple of minutes faster if that was not my first. So yes, if you increase the mileage to about 25-30 MPW, you can aim for under 2 hour finish.
          theyapper

On the road again...

That makes me feel a bit better, thanks. Looking at your log, it appears you had between 500 and 600 base miles, too, when you ran your half in April. Thanks for the encouragement.

Paul

Dave

Take a trip back in my log to March 2007. Look at my mileage before that half. I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Lazy idiot

Take a trip back in my log to March 2007. Look at my mileage before that half. I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done.
                Same thing for me prior to September 2007. I'll recommend anything, but I'm not exactly of sound mind. Good luck.

Tick tock

theyapper

On the road again...

I've just had a rough week running wise. I guess that happens, and I needed to know I wasn't shooting for the impossible with a half in Dec. Thanks for the help!

Paul

Think Whirled Peas

I had to look back, but you're right about where I was when I did my first half last year. It can be done, and 2hrs is possible. Be smart, and go for consistency, run as often as you can. That helped me a TON for my second one. That said, I wish I would've waited a bit longer to start going for the longer races. If I could do it all over again, I'd focus on getting faster at the short distances before moving on to the long races. Again, if you're going to do it, don't get too hung up on weekly mileage, try to run most every day. The mileage will naturally follow.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I had done about 800 miles before my first half, but finished in 1:55-I was 56 years old, you are 42, makes a difference! You are in good shape for a 2 hour finish-just do a few longer runs out to 20k if you can. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Simon. My long run the week before the HM will be a 12 miler.

Paul

YES - you can do a HM now with your mileage... Big grin NO - I doubt you will really enjoy it as well as you should... Black eye Agree with others that you can do one and complete it, but i dont think you will run as well as you want to......I personally think you should hold off and get your mileage up a little bit more unless you are going to run the HM as a training run, and if thats the case, just hit the back of the pace, chuk your distance and enjoy the training..... Tongue

Champions are made when no one is watching

theyapper

On the road again...

I personally think you should hold off and get your mileage up a little bit more unless you are going to run the HM as a training run, and if thats the case, just hit the back of the pace, chuk your distance and enjoy the training..... Tongue
                            The emphasized part is the plan. As I said in the OP, not trying to win, just looking to hit somewhere around a consistent 10 m/m pace. Basically a long run that happens to be a HM.

Paul