first 21 k after 18, oops, should be 14 years! (Read 831 times)

finished 21k race in sub 2hrs after a year of prep... Yes race website: http://www.pnpmarathon.co.za/Content/GenericContent.aspx?eid=6&group=Home&name=N/A time 1:54:30 Big grin actually 1:54:24! Clowning around OK so its not superfast, but I am pleased with this and now intend to build-up to Marathon in November. 2009 Shy Ultimate goal is Comrades ulta (89k) in 2010 ..... Smile
    Lincool ;)
      No need to be superfast when your ulitmate goal is an ultra, just steady as you go. Congrats on your return to running, and best of luck with your training for Comrades '10! MTA: my shins are hurting just thinking about covering 89K

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Think Whirled Peas

Right on! Nice job, and keep it rolling, Lincoln. 89K will not run itself, so you've got plenty of motivation!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

hey thanks for the motivation guys, feels good to be "back" Smile Any tips for a novice wannabe marathoner? Hey D and Q impressive milage you guys doing. Where do you find time? I was happy with 200k in december, you guys keep it up well above 200k per month! Motivation?!
          Lincool ;)
            Motivation?!
            For me, motivation started as a circled date on a calendar. Calendar entries are driven by my perceived limit, currently two marathons a year. With that in mind, I try to look about six months ahead. A couple nights ago I was positively drooling over the slideshow in the middle of the Mount Desert Island Marathon homepage (if for no other reason than the rare sighting of bloody nipples on the winner's stand, it's worth a look). Unfortunately it conflicts with volunteering at my club's BayState Marathon so I can't run it this year. I'll probably pencil in the Hartford Marathon soon. Once the target is set, I write my training schedule on the calendar and usually find that I'm a couple of weeks behind. Clowning around It took quite a while for me, but these days addiction = motivation. Somewhere along the line, I went from scheming reasons to skip a run to scheming ways to get a run in. If I get in a quick five in the morning, drive to my son's soccer match, then do another five when I get home... When I started this thing, I never woulda thunked it. Run easy and MTFU (mileage the heck up). Be careful Lincoln, addiction could happen to you. MTA: hanging around RA is another OUTSTANDING source of motivation. For one good example, you can find POQ's first marathon report on my homepage's favorite links. Smile

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The big sur looks great, our equvalent to that will be the Two Oceans race (56k) run every April / May in Cape Town South Africa. That's on my to do list for 2010. I think the addiction is already pleasantly present, need to resist the temptation to push too hard, though. Just posted my fastest month for a while, though distances are short the speed is already improving. Easy runs are now clooser to 5min/k pace, wanna do that Soweto Marathon http://www.sa-venues.com/events/gauteng-event-description.php?id=499in under 4 hours...
              Lincool ;)