Non-name Brand Running Clothes (Read 508 times)

rrr0005

What are your thoughts on the non-name brand running brands out there? Like Target's Champion, Academy's BCG, and so on. The name brand stuff is pretty expensive, but are they worth the money?

Thoughts and experiences with these non-name brands are appreciated.

Thanks!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have a lot of C9 stuff. Its worked well for me. I do find that for cold weather stuff, the more expensive stuff has some subtle differences (thumb holes being the main one). That said, I rarely pay full price, instead I buy it at outlets or TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc. I haven't noticed the C9 stuff wearing at a faster rate.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That^^^. I have no problems with C9 stuff.

kilkee

runktrun

For hard workouts in shit weather, I find that I am most comfortable if I stick with running-specific clothes (NB, Mizuno, Sporthill, and sometimes Nike).  I do have a champion bra that I like a lot, and CuddleDud base layers (no cotton!) that keep me warm for about $20 a piece, but when I'm dropping sub 6:00 miles in sleet and wind in winter, I want to feel as comfortable as possible and I have noticed the premium brands often feel the best and last longer.  I have tights and tops that I've been wearing every winter for 5+ years.  To me, that is worth the money.  I got nasty frostbite on backs of my knees from kicking up slush in the winter while wearing basic 50/50 cotton/stretchy leggings.  Purple bluish blistered skin that died and peeled off.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

The Machine

I have a lot of C9 stuff. Its worked well for me. I do find that for cold weather stuff, the more expensive stuff has some subtle differences (thumb holes being the main one). That said, I rarely pay full price, instead I buy it at outlets or TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc. I haven't noticed the C9 stuff wearing at a faster rate.

TJ Maxx and Marahalls and those stores are great for me. I have found an abundance of running shirts, shorts and other gear there for a very cheap price

kcam

I have non name-brand running stuff (some of the brands you mentioned) and it's ... adequate.  At the same time, I don't think it's coincidence that all of my favorite running stuff is brand-name and not for reasons of being fashionable.

Half Crazy K 2.0

One thing with TJ Maxx, Marshalls and the like, you cannot be picky about colors. I really like Nike Pro zip tops in winter. I would prefer not to have a bubble gum pink one, but it was $20 versus the $50-60 full price.

DDXD

Slower than I look

I broke down a few years ago and bought all UA gear.  Almost 3k miles later and it all is still holding up fantastically, despite being sweated in and washed every week.  Whereas my old, non-name brand stuff would usually wear out in 6 months.  I'm sure there is some quality stuff out there to be found at a discount, but I don't regret my investment.

The Running Stan

I have a mixture of brand name and non brand name.  And many of my brand name stuff can from outlet stores (both UA and Nike have outlets if you are close to an outlet store) and many big races at their expos have clothes at a discount.   It's where I get my shoes at a lot of times.  To be honest, there's not too much a difference in my opinion between the 2.

+1

I have a mixture of brand name and non brand name.  And many of my brand name stuff can from outlet stores (both UA and Nike have outlets if you are close to an outlet store) and many big races at their expos have clothes at a discount.   It's where I get my shoes at a lot of times.  To be honest, there's not too much a difference in my opinion between the 2.

I have a mix as well, mostly technical shirts from races for everyday workouts.  Like others have said, I am pickier for cold weather gear with a lot from the Asics Thermopolis line.  I particularly find it's worthwhile to have good gloves and well made sunglasses.  If you're not picky on colors, I get a lot of gear from Active GearUp which I think is powered by LeftLane sports.  They tend to have decent deals on good gear and they pretty frequently run 25% off sales if you get their emails.

For the cheaper technical shirts that often come from races, I find they hold the "stink" more though I haven't tried the special sports detergents or washing them with vinegar.  When I start to offend myself I throw them out.

RunningSavage

I've designed some no-name brand bad ass running tanktops and tees to boost your confidence and make your run even more fun!

They're limited edition, high quality fabrics and start at $21.99

You can check them out here if you want to :) https://teespring.co...-savage-you-are

Cheers!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

All my running clothes are old school- cheap t shirts and sweat clothes.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

RandyP

Most of my name gear like UA and Nike have been gifts from family. I like the C9 stuff and don't see much difference in quality. I also like Russell sleeveless tanks for summer.

NorthNorthwest

I've even gotten some pretty good stuff from Old Navy in the past. All my tights are from there - ones where I don't care about warmth...just want to protect from the wind. I have a couple Old Navy half zips I really like, too. Their selection from year to year and store to store and really vary, though.

Agree with everything said about the Target C9 stuff. Holds up remarkably well, especially summer stuff where you don't care about insulation. I just bought some new C9 shorts on end of the season 70% off markdown.

I have a few nice/expensive Nike pieces that I save for long weekend runs in the cold when performance especially matters. That, and so I can look good passing all the training groups around town.