Old Man Winter's just around the corner... (Read 1040 times)

Hubby recommended Gore-Tex socks, too.
    those work well for keeping the wetness out, but also are great at keeping the wetness in (depending on how much your feet sweat). I definately wear a pair of trail shoes for winter running. There are also clip-on spikey things you can buy that attach to your running shoes and provide more traction. For apparel I have 2 rules: layer and if possible, buy everything craft-- it outperforms all other winter gear I've ever tried. http://www.craft-usa.com/
      Oh, hah! I think that was Newcastle Brown Ale...man, if I filled my Camelbak with that I don't think I'd feel any pain during a run...probably wouldn't care about finishing time, or even IF I finished, either, LOL! Big grin k
      Newcastle Brown - ahh, I remember it well, drinking a pint in Newcastle, England of all places. Perhaps you should think about only filling your Camelback with a half pint then you might at least care about one of your goals. One half pint usually is followed with another half pint and then you say to yourself "I should have just gotten a pint". Oh hell - fill er' up with pint already. yyz
      FDYYZ
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Newcastle Brown - ahh, I remember it well, drinking a pint in Newcastle, England of all places. Perhaps you should think about only filling your Camelback with a half pint then you might at least care about one of your goals. One half pint usually is followed with another half pint and then you say to yourself "I should have just gotten a pint". Oh hell - fill er' up with pint already. yyz
        Ha! I like the way you think! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I layer, Kirsten. Most every day I ran last winter, I wore wicking long underwear, then a thicker pair of running pants and a fleece lined wind breaker...or a fleece & a wind breaker. 9 times out of 10, I shed the fleece & wind breaker. I also wore an ear band & gloces or mittens, but usually dumped those too. As for my feet, same shoes & just a pair of my beloved SmartWool's. There were only a couple of days when I was cold & left all layers on. And you've seen where I run. What little protection the corn fields provide from the wind is gone after they harvest the corn. I mostly run in howling winds & blowing, drifting snow. Couple that with glaring sunshine (when we actually get sun) off the snow covered fields, and mud & slush from unpaved roads, mixed, it's a joy. Of course, if the sun isn't shining & it is too cold for slush, I have dirt roads glassed over with either ice or packed snow or a combination thereof. This can pose a problem for my rather uncoordinated self, but I'm more dangerous with the spikey shoe strap on things (just gives me a way to cut myself when I fall!) Shy Thanks for this most depressing topic, Blondie! I'm really looking forward to running now. Thank God for gym memberships! During the summer, cross training is forgotten because I just can't give up a day of running to go lift weights or swim. Last winter I said I'd run in anything above 10 below. Maybe this winter it will be 10 above & gym days other than that.
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
            Now yyz knows how to cheer things up!! If we fill up our Camelbak's with beer, we can blame our staggering on the strong winds!! Tongue
            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3

Diesel Power

I am new to RunningAhead.com as well as the forums, so please forgive me if this has already been asked: Aside from Craft, are there any suggestions on where to buy winter running clothes?
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've had good luck finding great clothes at good prices at Campmor.com, Sierra Trading post (.com), and even Amazon. My favorite running pants are currently only $12.50 at Amazon (down from $60). I also found a great pair of Avalanche Wear power stretch fleece pants at TJ Maxx, of all places. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay