yet another shoe question... (Read 769 times)

For all you people who run like 50 miles a week: Wouldnt that mean you have to replace your shoes like every couple of weeks? if the avg shoe gets like 400 miles on them you would need a new pair like every 8 weeks? this is insane to me - but my first pair of running shoes - mizunos seem to be topping out at 250 miles (thank god i only run like 11 miles a week!!) geesh, adding together all the dough i spend on clothes, shoes, garmin, and other misc running crap, this sport can get a little pricey!
      For all you people who run like 50 miles a week: Wouldnt that mean you have to replace your shoes like every couple of weeks? if the avg shoe gets like 400 miles on them you would need a new pair like every 8 weeks? this is insane to me - but my first pair of running shoes - mizunos seem to be topping out at 250 miles (thank god i only run like 11 miles a week!!) geesh, adding together all the dough i spend on clothes, shoes, garmin, and other misc running crap, this sport can get a little pricey!
      Well if you promise not to tell...... I have just about burnedup 3 pair of $150 shoes over this past winter. I'm desperately hoping they can last to the end of March. Then I'll be buying 2 more pair at $200 each, but what the heck, I'm healthier.....

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

The Greatest of All Time

Yep, about 8 weeks and mine are retired.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Runner

Well at least the price of shoes doesn't fluctuate like gas prices. So no matter if you run 11 miles or 50 miles per week you get the same actual time of usage out of them actually being on your feet.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

GULP! I suddenly feel so guilty! I guess I won't be trying to increase my mileage anytime soon. I'm poor!! oh yeah - and you guys are insane
              Well if you promise not to tell...... I have just about burnedup 3 pair of $150 shoes over this past winter. I'm desperately hoping they can last to the end of March. Then I'll be buying 2 more pair at $200 each, but what the heck, I'm healthier.....
              There have been several posts from other GTA runners who have saved a ton of cash buying shoes online. Check out the thread below. Where to buy shoes for cheap?
                Thanks for linking back to that other post. That reall helped me, but I think I still have to venture to the local running store this weekend. I am just too inexperienced in shoes to try and order something online. plus, i cant stand returning stuff via mail. I'll just suck it up until I find a shoe I am completely satisfied with.

A Saucy Wench

I usually replace mine at about 300 miles. I'll putter along trails and stuff for another 400 so yeah...I go through a lot of shoes. Thats why I buy and rotate 2 at a time...it makes me feel like they last longer. And after awhile the rest of the misc running crap peters out. Clothes for the most part last forever (except for socks and bras) Garmin lasts awhile and you dont HAVE to have the latest gadget (but it gives the spouse something to get you for Xmas). But then you will start racing more and that can get pricey. I'd guess running overall costs me about $1200/year if I do all local races. I'd like to travel at least once a year but waiting until my kids are older Still cheaper than diabetes and heart disease.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hoodoo Guru

My local running store has a wall of discounted shoes (last year's models I assume.) They usually have one or two pair that work for me. I typically pay between $40-$60 a pair.

The tangents are moot.

There have been several posts from other GTA runners who have saved a ton of cash buying shoes online. Check out the thread below. Where to buy shoes for cheap?
                      Thanks Homey, I'll keep it in mind.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

My local running store has a wall of discounted shoes (last year's models I assume.) They usually have one or two pair that work for me. I typically pay between $40-$60 a pair.
                        Canada gets screwed on shoe prices for some reason, even on clearouts of last year's models the price is never below $99 + 13% in taxes.....flagship shoes from all the manufacturers are $200 plus up here Black eye

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My shoes go to 300. When I am really running, that is 6 weeks. I have 2-3 pair of shoes. So I am buying shoes every few months. But it is well worth it. This works for me. Most importantly, do you like monkeys?
                            The Preds are leaving Big grin

NO! I dont like monkeys! Stop asking! Wink

Half Fanatic #846

Once I got fitted for the proper type of shoes at a specialty running store, I eventually started buying them on sale on the 'net. I go thru a pair every 10 weeks or so. I just bought 2 pr online at 30% off. Most places are really good about returns. Sometimes I'll call my local running store to see if they have any on sale, which they sometimes do - usually they're last years models. Hope this helps! Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!