Covid 19 (Read 474 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

You've fallen for a half-truth/conspiracy theory.

Thankfully Medicare isn’t the ONLY insurance policy in the United States.

edit

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/verify/verify-do-hospitals-get-more-funding-by-marking-deaths-covid-19-related/103-36834bad-1113-4f67-8804-5d97e6593745

Claims after September 1, 2020 are eligible for an extra 20% payment thanks to the CARES act.

https://www.cms.gov/files/document/se20015.pdf
    Due to public health emergency Medicare pays more for covid 19. Imagine that. It’s almost as if you don’t want to believe the truth that covid 19 diagnosis paid more and you’ll search the internet to find supporting evidence.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 51

5k19:35 | Marathon 2:59:10

an amazing likeness

First, You seem to be assuming I'm attempting to correct you, when, in reality, I'm attempting to factualize your points.  Secondly, you are correct -- the CARES act increases payments for inpatient treatment by 20% for patients with proven positive COVID test.

So, while there is a semblance of truth in your statements, to this reader, the facts seem a far cry from your statement:

"If it happened in 2020 and they tested positive for COVID 19 they would have been counted as a COVID 19 death"

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Elite Jogger

Do you understand how variants happen? You don't seem to really want an end to this if it means the slightest inconvenience to yourself.

So do the vaccines not work for these latest “variants”?  Absolute bullshit. It’s time to get back to normal and follow the Florida governor and take a healthy dose of common sense. 👍

Edit: an example of Florida guy using common sense...

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/florida-governor-bans-transgender-women-girls-school-sports-n1269238

and interesting reading....

https://lockdownsceptics.org/2021/06/02/almost-40-of-recent-covid-victims-died-primarily-of-other-conditions/

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I cannot tell what is being claimed to be absolute bullshit. If you are going on a rant, try to be coherent so we can follow. Are variants bullshit or are vaccines bullshit? Or are Covid restrictions bullshit? Because here is the thing... they are all connected and there is something you can do about it but apparently you would rather just complain and not be a part of solving anything.

You actually could educate yourself on how variants form. You have passion, so use that energy to learn. It might do you good to know that the more potential hosts out there, the more potential for future variants, which are not easy to predict. Nobody has a crystal ball to know if a future variant will be more resistant to vaccine.

Aside from being decent to humanity, it's really the main reason why the rich countries of the world should try to get decent vaccines to the 3rd world. It could help us all. It's also the reason why many of us want to see the holdouts get a vaccine, not to put microchips in their arms, but to potentially save another person's life. We realize the odds that it could save your life are very slim, but it could save someone else more vulnerable. So try and be a bigger person.

Running Problem

Problem Child

First, You seem to be assuming I'm attempting to correct you, when, in reality, I'm attempting to factualize your points.  Secondly, you are correct -- the CARES act increases payments for inpatient treatment by 20% for patients with proven positive COVID test.

So, while there is a semblance of truth in your statements, to this reader, the facts seem a far cry from your statement:

"If it happened in 2020 and they tested positive for COVID 19 they would have been counted as a COVID 19 death"

I have had enough discussions with you to know you're going to be correct about anything.

Mikkey we need another lockdown in America. Too many people out there with masks on. The news has stopped reporting fully vaccinated and is now focusing on how many people have received at least one shot. It's gone from "we need 75-80% fully vaccinated" to "about 50% of americans aged 12 and older have at least one shot" and we have so much surplus President Joe Biden is sending it to other countries.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 51

Elite Jogger

I have had enough discussions with you to know you're going to be correct about anything.

Mikkey we need another lockdown in America. Too many people out there with masks on. The news has stopped reporting fully vaccinated and is now focusing on how many people have received at least one shot. It's gone from "we need 75-80% fully vaccinated" to "about 50% of americans aged 12 and older have at least one shot" and we have so much surplus President Joe Biden is sending it to other countries.

I’ve always thought that vaccination roll out should be distributed equally across the world to the elderly and most vulnerable who are most at risk of actually dying from covid.

In the UK the government is now asking the 30yo+ folk to be vaccinated. That’s fine, but if they refuse then that’s their decision end of.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Edit: an example of Florida guy using common sense...

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/florida-governor-bans-transgender-women-girls-school-sports-n1269238

Yes, it's always AWESOME common sense to ban something that isn't a problem just to appease the fearmongered.

MoBramExam

I don't think you can 100% say that the numbers are anywhere near correct.  It became political and anything related to that stinking pile is suspect.  There are lies, damn lies and statistics.  As an auditor when using statistics we incorporate a + or - degree of confidence in the numbers.  Typically you want no more/less thank 5% either way but that's assuming your population is anywhere close to reasonable.  My dad had underlying heart issues and died in May....if they took his body and did a Covid test (probably not in MS) and he tested positive I couldn't say that Covid caused it.  It may have contributed but the underlying true cause was heart failure.

Every state was calculating deaths differently, some states have an elected coroner, some are appointed, some are hired.  Some counties were overwhelmed.  Given all the "possible" mistakes, miscalculations, and just flat out lying going on the numbers are best guess at best. 

Think your observations are spot on.  Well said.

Elite Jogger

Yes, it's always AWESOME common sense to ban something that isn't a problem just to appease the fearmongered.

Not quite sure what you mean by that post. I personally think that girls should compete against other girls. When it gets to elite level it gets more complicated.

If you were a professional boxer would you want to get in the ring with someone who was born a man with more natural strength?  Totally unfair.

dhuffman63

Trails

But don't they take hormones to make them more "female" like?  If that's the case and they have very little testosterone would they not them mimic what a "natural" female had?

Elite Jogger

But don't they take hormones to make them more "female" like?  If that's the case and they have very little testosterone would they not them mimic what a "natural" female had?

You need to ask Joe Biden. 👍

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’ve always thought that vaccination roll out should be distributed equally across the world to the elderly and most vulnerable who are most at risk of actually dying from covid.

In the UK the government is now asking the 30yo+ folk to be vaccinated. That’s fine, but if they refuse then that’s their decision end of.

The United States is offering a ticket into a $1,000,000 USD lottery in a few states, guns, etc.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=covid+lottery&cvid=1e0c9ebe047445cba1836bc6afc581fe&aqs=edge..69i57j0l2.2283j0j1&pglt=299&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=HCTS

Gavin Newsome was facing a recall. He announces a COVID 19 lottery, and hands out more money and his numbers improve.

United States says anyont 12+ can get vaccinated free. I can't say I've ever seen so much propaganda for a vaccine. It is ridiculous.

I am waiting to hear about the transgender athletes wanting to participate in male athletics. It only seems to affect female sports from my lack of resarch on the subject. I'm still too busy staying home and staying safe for two weeks to help flatten this curve and slow the spread. In a month the pandemic is over and I am required to work out of an office of strangers I haven't been around for 15+ months. Crazy times I live in.

VDOT 51

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So this is where it gets complicated.  There are different positions:

1) all athletes should compete only in the gender that they were raised as (interestingly, this is the position intrasex Caster Semenya takes - that she should compete as a woman and absolutely cannot compete as a man, because athletes should only compete in the gender they were raised in, and she was raised female);

2) that all athletes should compete as the gender they identify as, without limitation; or

3) that gender and sex are different, and athletes should compete in the category associated with their sex, with recognition of the ability to change sex via hormones, surgery (of course, this then has the associated question - "what defines one's sex."

Unfortunately, in today's discussions, any one who takes position 3 often gets lumped in with position 1, even though they are very different.

(BTW, if you want to read a book on this topic, I really recommend "Sporting Gender" by Dr. Joanna Harper.  Dr. Harper is a distance runner, a exercise physiologist, and a transgender woman - and she's spent a lot of time researching and writing about these issues.)

I'll disclose that I fall into position 3, and (based on Dr. Harper's writings) I am absolutely in favor of transgender women competing in the women's division of distance running, including competing against (and possibly beating) me  IF they have undergone hormonal treatment and meet World Athletics standards for testosterone.  I do not believe that transgender women who do not meet that standard should compete in the women's division.

In the NCAA, it gets more complicated.  My understanding is that the NCAA  requires hormonal treatment in order for transgender athletes to participate as the gender they identify with, but (unlike World Athletics) does not set a standard.  So there is room in there to abuse the system.

And while I absolutely do not believe that any athlete would choose to identify as the other gender just to win, I also don't doubt that it would be very tempting for a transgender woman to go a little light on the hormone therapy to retain an advantage.  She would be no different from the cis-women who dope with testosterone and accept male characteristics in exchange for enhanced performance.  Transgender women are women, and no more or less likely to cheat than cis-women.

High school adds another layer of complexity.  As a friend of mine (a transgender woman) pointed out - transgender kids rarely if every have the resources (financial or emotional) to transition before they are 18.  And this is also the time when they are arguably most emotionally vulnerable.  Plus HS sports are often about inclusion as much as competition.  For this reason, I'm fine with kids competing as their gender identity regardless of whether they have transitioned.

Thus endeth my brain droppings.  Congratulations if you made it through all that.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

So this is where it gets complicated.  There are different positions:

1) all athletes should compete only in the gender that they were raised as (interestingly, this is the position intrasex Caster Semenya takes - that she should compete as a woman and absolutely cannot compete as a man, because athletes should only compete in the gender they were raised in, and she was raised female);

2) that all athletes should compete as the gender they identify as, without limitation; or

3) that gender and sex are different, and athletes should compete in the category associated with their sex, with recognition of the ability to change sex via hormones, surgery (of course, this then has the associated question - "what defines one's sex."

Unfortunately, in today's discussions, any one who takes position 3 often gets lumped in with position 1, even though they are very different.

(BTW, if you want to read a book on this topic, I really recommend "Sporting Gender" by Dr. Joanna Harper.  Dr. Harper is a distance runner, a exercise physiologist, and a transgender woman - and she's spent a lot of time researching and writing about these issues.)

I'll disclose that I fall into position 3, and (based on Dr. Harper's writings) I am absolutely in favor of transgender women competing in the women's division of distance running, including competing against (and possibly beating) me  IF they have undergone hormonal treatment and meet World Athletics standards for testosterone.  I do not believe that transgender women who do not meet that standard should compete in the women's division.

In the NCAA, it gets more complicated.  My understanding is that the NCAA  requires hormonal treatment in order for transgender athletes to participate as the gender they identify with, but (unlike World Athletics) does not set a standard.  So there is room in there to abuse the system.

And while I absolutely do not believe that any athlete would choose to identify as the other gender just to win, I also don't doubt that it would be very tempting for a transgender woman to go a little light on the hormone therapy to retain an advantage.  She would be no different from the cis-women who dope with testosterone and accept male characteristics in exchange for enhanced performance.  Transgender women are women, and no more or less likely to cheat than cis-women.

High school adds another layer of complexity.  As a friend of mine (a transgender woman) pointed out - transgender kids rarely if every have the resources (financial or emotional) to transition before they are 18.  And this is also the time when they are arguably most emotionally vulnerable.  Plus HS sports are often about inclusion as much as competition.  For this reason, I'm fine with kids competing as their gender identity regardless of whether they have transitioned.

Thus endeth my brain droppings.  Congratulations if you made it through all that.

ditto

55-59 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Interval Junkie --Nobby

To complicate matters, Harper's research indicates that even long-term hormone therapy does not ensure _all_ previous-sex advantages are nullified.  Specifically: bone-density, muscle mass and height.  That's not to say a female-at-birth couldn't exceed those numbers for any particular male, only that those values fall in different places on the bell-curve for each sex.

Further, a court case in CT was just dismissed as moot, that involved HS track and two trans-girls who "dominated".

Personally, I haven't come to any personal conclusion about this difficult issue.  "Fair" is such an odd term when so many factors play into someone's advantage that aren't just "hard work".

But I think we all need to agreed that Testosterone is a PED.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do