Covid 19 (Read 327 times)

an amazing likeness

LOL how is liquor store guy keeping these days?  Still jogging loads of marathons but never actually training properly for one?  

Thanks for this great contribution Mikkey -- very nice of you to add value to the RA community. Love it,man. Bingo to you!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Running Problem

Problem Child

*HIPAA

thanks man. I don't work with it and I'm not in the medical field so the spelling kind of gets past me. I also didn't research it (the spelling) before posting.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'll ignore your personal dig and diagram your post to see if I can follow your logic:

1. NY had a COVID death rate of 0.2175% of the NY population

2. For CT the COVID death rate was 0.235% of the state's population

3. For TX the COVID death rate was 0.17%

4. That 0.17% of TX people who died from COVID is "ONE HALF" of the 0.3% transgender rate in "sports"

So my question to you, Mr. Clear Logic that you are, is this:  You've diagrammed over 100K deaths in your statements 1-3. WTF does any percentage of transgender in sports have to due with COVID death rates?

Answer: Nothing. Zero. Nada. There is exactly 0% correlation.

I remain unsure of what the hell point you are trying to make.

I guess since it's off topic we'll have to lock this thread down until the participants can keep things focused. Oh wait this thread is filled with the OGs. I'm free to keep this discussion going because at least I'm talking about COVID 19.

I was, and you missed it, pointing out how the discussion about transgender athletes participation/representation has NOTHING to do with COVID 19. Simply by saying the participation of transgender athletes was double the number of deaths from COVID 19 you should have been able to see how the discussion went away from COVID 19 (the actual topic of this thread) and I was pointing it out. It went WAY over your head, and after typing out the logic outlined above you were finally able to make the connection. It is as if you're actively putting in effort to misunderstand what is written, while doing absolutely nothing to gain clarification. I find it amusing how you can label what I said as a "dig" on you (it wasn't. I'll make that crystal clear right now so you don't misunderstand it) yet keep doing exactly the same thing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

Elite Jogger

Thanks for this great contribution Mikkey -- very nice of you to add value to the RA community. Love it,man. Bingo to you!

Always a pleasure. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

an amazing likeness

"Around the world on Sunday morning, there were 173 million known cases of COVID-19 and 3.72 million deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. The United States had 33.3 million cases and 597,377 deaths."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

"Around the world on Sunday morning, there were 173 million known cases of COVID-19 and 3.72 million deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University. The United States had 33.3 million cases and 597,377 deaths."

Nothing to see here. Move along. No pandemic, no danger. Go about your business. Pay no attention to the hospital beds behind the curtain.

55-59 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

It is a common error. HIPAA is very frequently misspelled AND misunderstood, with too much emphasis placed on the security aspects and not enough on the "portability" aspect.

thanks man. I don't work with it and I'm not in the medical field so the spelling kind of gets past me. I also didn't research it (the spelling) before posting.

Elite Jogger

Nothing to see here. Move along. No pandemic, no danger. Go about your business. Pay no attention to the hospital beds behind the curtain.

I thought you worked in theatre?  If so then you’d be desperate to have all restrictions lifted so that you could actually break even and make a living! In England we’ve got Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber who is preparing to open up theatres to full capacity and willing to get arrested for it. Total respect to him. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57410819

Meanwhile in Florida with a strong leader.... they are enjoying life again. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Come to Massachusetts and high vaccination rates. The full reopening without the ignorance of Florida leaders.

JMac11

Taper Czar

Come to Massachusetts and high vaccination rates. The full reopening without the ignorance of Florida leaders.

Yeah pretty much all of America is open at this point. I went to the Knicks game a couple weeks back and it was electric being in such a large crowd. Haven't felt like that since I was a little kid. Boy did we botch the COVID response, but the vaccination has been an unbelievable success. Outside international travel, life is basically back to normal.

I did see a poll though that continues to show the partisan divide. I couldn't believe this when I read it (it's from Gallup, so legitimate polling): 71% of Democrats still believe people should stay home as much as possible. What is wrong with this country? We get people on the front end who are out partying and gathering indoors like nothing is going on when we have 250K cases a day, and now people on the back end say we should still say home even though they're vaccinated and case counts are down 95%?

The lack of nuance in our politics and public discussion apparently is also applying to our risk management as a society.

As seen previously, there is a substantial partisan divide on the advice question, with 87% of Republicans versus 64% of independents and 29% of Democrats recommending people should strive to lead their normal lives. Conversely, 71% of Democrats believe people should stay home as much as possible, although this is down from 85% in April.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:15:28 (3/20)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Next Race: Whatever COVID-19 will allow me to run 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I agree with you - I don't understand people.  I was a strict mask wearer, but now with an incredibly tiny breakthrough infection rate, I see no need for vaccinated people to wear one AT ALL.  I was at an outdoor ice cream stand two days ago and a woman came up to order, wearing one.  What??  And I don't think it's the unvaccinated folks wearing masks, for the most part.

I guess it's what people get used to.  I keep posting that it's much more dangerous to drive across town than to not wear a mask.  It fascinates me that people are willing to drive at all, when they are so worried about much safer activities.

Yeah pretty much all of America is open at this point. I went to the Knicks game a couple weeks back and it was electric being in such a large crowd. Haven't felt like that since I was a little kid. Boy did we botch the COVID response, but the vaccination has been an unbelievable success. Outside international travel, life is basically back to normal.

I did see a poll though that continues to show the partisan divide. I couldn't believe this when I read it (it's from Gallup, so legitimate polling): 71% of Democrats still believe people should stay home as much as possible. What is wrong with this country? We get people on the front end who are out partying and gathering indoors like nothing is going on when we have 250K cases a day, and now people on the back end say we should still say home even though they're vaccinated and case counts are down 95%?

The lack of nuance in our politics and public discussion apparently is also applying to our risk management as a society.

As seen previously, there is a substantial partisan divide on the advice question, with 87% of Republicans versus 64% of independents and 29% of Democrats recommending people should strive to lead their normal lives. Conversely, 71% of Democrats believe people should stay home as much as possible, although this is down from 85% in April.

dhuffman63

Trails

Perhaps protecting herself from the unvaccinated?  I'm not obese or even mildly fat but I do have an autoimmune disease (Graves Disease) and I have kidney disease.  Sure I'm vaccinated but it's not 100% and there still so many not vaccinated and new variants that could or could not break through.  That lady may be taking autoimmune suppressants or she may have cancer.

Half Crazy K 2.0

There's definitely nuance missing. I work in a sort-of medical setting and also am dealing with family in a long term care setting. The guidelines for these places are strict, the lifting of mask requirements doesn't apply. Symptoms or exposure, forget it, you can't come in.  Work will clear me with a negative test. The long term care center, it doesn't matter that DH and I are fully vaccinated, if we have symptoms or an exposure, we cannot enter for 2 weeks. So, despite being vaccinated, I feel like I need to continue to be careful in indoor settings.

Interval Junkie --Nobby

If there's not a cloud in the sky, do you folks get miffed by people who carry around umbrellas?

If people want to continue to wear masks for the next five years, let them.  It affects zero people.

The anti-mask folks have gone from "I cannot breath with this annoying thing that is supposed to protect other people, but does nothing for me" to "it annoys me that other people are still wearing the mask that I couldn't breath in because I need everything to look like it did in Jan 2020."  or more likely, "I need to find a way to continue to make partisan arguments about how the libs are dumb, but over precautious masking is all I got right now until Biden bans another Dr. Suess book."

Anti-masking was a problem because it put public heath in danger.

Over-masking causes no problems for anyone.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do