Covid 19 (Read 473 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

RP I don't think it's people like you that are causing the heartburn, it's the vocal minority who are spreading bullshit for their own gain.  Yes I'm vaccinated and yes I wear a mask in crowded indoor places and I wish everyone would but I don't attack those who don't and I don't want them to attack me just because I don't.  While I'm not the poster child for unhealthy (I weigh what I should, don't smoke, don't drink, eat relatively healthy, exercise all my life) I do have through no fault of my own underlying health conditions-Graves Disease which causes hyperthyroidism and kidney disease.  Since your thyroid regulates pretty much everything and it's an autoimmune disease I'd rather not get Covid, or any other virus.  I've had pneumonia in the past and it really sucks.  Last Feb I caught a cold and had bronchitis and thought I would die cause it hurt so bad to cough and breathe. If enough people got vaccinated then maybe like smallpox this would not be such a problem. Virus's don't care about your political stance, your religion, whether you are male or female, old or young....all they care about is replicating and spreading to as many hosts as they can.

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

Oh, I don't know. EVERY person choosing not to vaccinate potentiates this disaster.

While the virus, especially delta, can spread among vaccinated, it spreads much more readily, mutates more frequently, and causes more serious disease among the unvaccinated. The next serious variant is likely to come from an unvaccinated population just as the prior ones have. But mostly, the unvaccinated are currently overwhelming hospitals so that assholes like me who have not managed ICUs in over 20 years have to manage the overflow ICUs so that the few critically ill patients who actually can get a hospital bed can get some modicum of care even as many others cannot get a bed. So many stories about people with serious illness who cannot get care because there is nowhere that has patient capacity.

RP, I see bitterness in your words. I'm sorry some random TV personality vocalized a specific comment about unvaccinated people not taking up hospital beds when they are ill. His words don't represent policy, are not likely intended to generalize to every preventable disease (including smokers), and don't speak for the majority of people who are just tired, frustrated, and wish folks would get vaccinated like the rest of us have done so we can all get back to some modicum of a normal life. We took our shot, we made our sacrifice (that, frankly, is not a sacrifice), and are exhausted hearing people make excuses for why they won't. That is all.

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

Or, as one of my closest friends just the moment shared with me -

I just found out a few days ago that a dear family friend had passed.

[name], she was formerly head of UT's student advising center, her husband is [name], former treasurer of UT.

They were both vaccinated and very careful.

They had both retired just a few years ago and were looking forward to spending their golden years together; their youngest just got married this summer.

They were incredibly careful, but once things opened up a bit this summer, before Delta hit hard, they started venturing out. Around a month ago, both of them got it.

He recovered after a few days, however, she began a decline, probably exacerbated by the fact that she had been managing leukemia for 7 years with meds that additionally suppressed her immune system.

They tried to move her from her local hospital to UT Hospital, but it was clogged up with unvaccinated idiots. By the time they got her on a vent, things were looking pretty bad.

She passed three days ago.

This was the woman that met my mom in her home and stuffed her freezer full of lasagna after my brother was killed. She was also one of his biggest champions.

Now her husband and daughters are alone.

There are a lot of ways you could push back on this..."but they were vaccinated" "but she had leukemia" "but they were old". Sure. But the fact is, the virus is still spreading widely in the community and variants like Delta exist both because of the large numbers of unvaccinated people (especially in states like mine). If the virus were not circulating as widely, these folks would not have been exposed and she would still be with us today. Even mikkey understands - this woman didn't survive.

Ireland reaches 90% vaccinated. What are they doing right?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0910/1245864-covid-figures-friday/

the majority of people who are just tired, frustrated, and wish folks would get vaccinated like the rest of us have done so we can all get back to some modicum of a normal life. We took our shot, we made our sacrifice (that, frankly, is not a sacrifice), and are exhausted hearing people make excuses for why they won't. That is all.

This. Almost every covid death or very serious case is preventable at this point and most people just want all of the suffering and dying to end because it can. We are blessed to live in a country where the solution is free and available and yet people still won't do the absolute minimum, and a group of politicians and partisan media personalities (most of whom are hypocrites because they themselves are vaccinated and/or work for media companies with vax requirements) are working to make sure it stays this way for their own political or financial gain.

Over 600,000 Americans have died from this disease, which is a tragedy, but what's much, much worse is that another 100,000 are going to die by Christmas and every one of those will have been entirely preventable.

And, as others have said it's not just a matter of survive or not--there are serious consequences for people who survive as well, including for some of the people in this forum. It's all so unnecessary.

And we should worry about hurting the anti-vaxxers' feelings? Stop it.

Runners run.

Me, every time I pull up to RA to find one of the OG's has disappeared

I thought for sure they were going to make "Good Will Hunting 2: Broke Down in Missouri". Because there is no way that piece of shit car of his made it to Cali.

I thought for sure they were going to make "Good Will Hunting 2: Broke Down in Missouri". Because there is no way that piece of shit car of his made it to Cali.

Probably more like broken down in Des Moines or North Platte because a New Englander trying to get to SF on a schedule would take I-80.

Runners run.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I’m not ‘sticking it’ to anyone and this is the attitude I’m talking about. Negativity. Towards me. Because I’m not like you and don’t want to be like you. It absolutely has a role in my decision. I choose to be part of the 30% not required to be vaccinated. Im too stupid to know what that means though and I’m sure it is on purpose.

Weren't you the guy ranting about how his small child's daycare wasn't taking adequate measures to prevent RSV spread, thus sickening said small child with a potentially deadly respiratory virus? Yet small child's own father is also failing to do the bare minimum to protect offspring not old enough for Covid vax...?

'21 Goals:

No published goals...not going to jinx things • $500

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

And we should worry about hurting the anti-vaxxers' feelings? Stop it.

Exactly.  I am not a BIden supporter AT ALL but I am thrilled he is requiring all federal employees and any contractor who works for the government to be vaccinated, period.  And all employees at companies larger than 100 need to be vaccinated or tested WEEKLY.  If people are going to act like five-year-olds, they will be treated that way.

Prince of Fatness

majority of people who are just tired, frustrated, and wish folks would get vaccinated like the rest of us have done so we can all get back to some modicum of a normal life. We took our shot, we made our sacrifice (that, frankly, is not a sacrifice), and are exhausted hearing people make excuses for why they won't. That is all.

Hopefully this helps my buddy Trent get a hat trick but yeah, exactly this

Another thing that gets me is this whole rights and flag waving stuff. With many of these vocal antivaxers I get the vibe that this is a matter of convenience to them. I’m pretty sure that I care more about the rights of these people than they do of mine. 

They tell you that we should respect the troops and the police. Well of course we should. Then tell me why you mock and in extreme cases threaten those on the front lines of this pandemic, those putting the lives of themselves at risk as a service to their communities?  Why?  And they won’t get vaccinated. Getting vaccinated is giving of yourself for the good of your community. It is in that sense an act of patriotism. And you can say we’re not at war. OK, but this non war has killed more Americans than all of the wars in my lifetime combined.  

If you’re going to politicize this pandemic then please just come out and say it. I mean, I still think that it’s a dumb thing to do but I’ll respect your honesty. Get vaxed or don’t. But stop with the  lame excuses please.

Not at it at all. 

dhuffman63

Trails

I'm not a healthcare worker or scientist so Trent or anyone who is chime in...so fantasyland here but let's say by some miracle we get to the 70% so called herd immunity sooner rather than later.   99,874,521.90 is 30% of the estimated 332,915,073.00 people in the US.  For simplicity assume the 70% is fully vaccinated and the 30% is not.  So 99 million potential incubators of the virus in which it's shown remarkable ability to mutate.  That's the US...there are billions of other people in other countries who either won't or can't be vaccinated.  So it will continue to circulate, continue to sicken, continue to kill, continue to mutate - MU is already in the US.

So what's with all the bitching and moaning about wearing a mask?  This one is I believe political in nature and can be traced back to the orange menace.  The one that continues to piss me off are the people in the stores throwing fits about wearing a mask.  Good lord if you are shopping and spend more than an hour and can't wear a mask for that time there's something very wrong with you.

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

We don't know the actual number. Estimates are now that it needs to be higher. 80+%

The point of herd immunity is that if enough people are immune, the virus WON'T circulate. But yea, the rest of the world is an issue, which is why the entire world needs to be vaccinated. Just like with polio and smallpox.

the 70% so called herd immunity

Ireland reaches 90% vaccinated. What are they doing right?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0910/1245864-covid-figures-friday/

Being a tiny, homogeneous island nation that's too small to be a major media market for Rupert Murdoch's empire? Just a guess.

Runners run.

The point of herd immunity is that if enough people are immune, the virus WON'T circulate. But yea, the rest of the world is an issue, which is why the entire world needs to be vaccinated. Just like with polio and smallpox.

I've thought maybe the USA should just say get your first shot by 11/1 because after 12/1 our vaccine supply is going to every country that wants it south of our border.

Then watch the FOMO happen as some people suddenly see things different and think "no damn Mexican is gettin' my shot!"