Covid 19 (Read 473 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

LOL Doug now that would be hilarious.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Exactly.  I am not a BIden supporter AT ALL but I am thrilled he is requiring all federal employees and any contractor who works for the government to be vaccinated, period.

It is notoriously hard to get hired by the Federal Government. The joke around town is that this just made it a bit easier.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

"any contractor who works for the government" is a lot of people.

I feel guilty replying to this post Big grin

I have 'escaped', but do lurk periodically.

Being that I'm in taper and race pace strategy planning mode right now, my eyes are drawn to historical items, some of which reside within RA, and the forum topics become visible.  I know "COVID 19" is polarizing, and I have my thoughts on this subject and it's best for me to stay away from it other than to chime in a big #communityimmunity along with the quick hello and encouragement for all.

--

I am super excited to be racing this weekend.

I was active until I got COVID.

I was sick July 15 of 2020 and was sick until early August with 102.5 - 104.5 fever.

For recovery, I napped and rested for 3 months straight (3 hour naps every day for 3 months + 10+ hours of sleep at night).

In early November, I was tired of being tired and feeling completely defeated... I decided I wanted to try a comeback and took my 17:00 walking pace walk for a 1/4 mile run at 10:00/mile.

That's the first time I did anything besides walk since mid July.

A couple days later, I signed up for Ironman Florida for November 2021.  I gave myself 365 days to get myself ready for another Ironman, and this is a test race coming up on Sunday.

I've had bumps and tests along the way (ie. full cardiology tests including stress test, a mammogram due to active lymph nodes and concerns regarding cancer, major battles of coughing and shortness of breath in the evening hours, etc).... Yes, I'm a guy who's had a couple of mammograms thanks to post COVID complications.

But I've steadily progressed to the point of having confidence that I can make it to the starting line.

I've biked 2500 miles.... I've swam enough.

I've run 450 miles over the past 10 months (I know it's not much).

And I've supplemented all of that by walking 700 miles since the beginning of November.  Low HR, but time and miles on my feet being aerobically active.  "Every" day, getting out and doing something to regain my health.  Over these last 306 days, I've logged either a swim, a bike, a run, or an aerobic walk for 302 days.

I had resigned myself to retirement from sport last year following COVID.

Everything was way off for a long time.

I'm grateful to be back to sport, and wish nothing but health and wellness for everyone here.

BTW, Julia1971, how are you doing?  Your post is what caught my attention and led to me posting within this forum.  Are you doing ok?  Recovered?

Cheers, Brian! I'm glad you're on the mend and even back to racing. Though for your own good I'm not sure I'm happy to see you back in this morass--I thought you escaped, man.

Me, every time I pull up to RA to find one of the OG's has disappeared

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

But you lived, so nothing else matters! amirite Mikkey?

Julia1971

BTW, Julia1971, how are you doing?  Your post is what caught my attention and led to me posting within this forum.  Are you doing ok?  Recovered?

I am so happy for you!  I can only imagine how satisfying it must feel every time you're able to exercise after it was almost taken away from you.

I am doing great - thanks for checking.  I have been symptom-free for about 2 days now and the county health department/my employer freed me from isolation yesterday.  Psychologically, it's been humbling.  I'm not invincible.  And, I'm definitely more appreciative of my loved ones.

As I mentioned, I didn't have respiratory problems, so I wasn't overly concerned about trying to run once I felt better.  Plus, I'd still like to run Boston if I can.  Only one of the runs has been "bad" and I told myself, "You're recovering from a deadly virus - what do you expect?"  But, it's also reminding me of a health issue I had this time two years ago where I went from running 9:00-pace easy to almost collapsing on the ground from fatigue after 4 or 5 miles.  Long story short, I saw my doctor and in addition to high blood pressure and low Vitamin D, tests indicated I had some type of auto-immune thing going on, suggestive of Lupus.  Follow-up tests with a rheumatologist were negative and then COVID brought everything to a halt so I never follow-up with additional tests.  So, part of me is concerned about whether COVID might "trigger" whatever auto-immune thing was going on with me before. But, most of me realizes my body is probably just recovering.  I have a complete check-up scheduled in two-weeks because I turned 50, so I should find out if anything is out of whack now.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

May be an image of text that says 'If you are not a scientist, and you disagree with scientists about science, it's actually not a disagreement. You're just wrong.'

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

So this sucks, and this is what I've been talking about. This is why unvaccinated folk are a problem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/09/10/cullman-al-man-dies-hospitals-full-icus-turn-away-covid/8281712002/

The family of a man who died of heart issues in Mississippi is asking people to get vaccinated for COVID-19 after 43 hospitals across three states were unable to accept him because of full cardiac ICUs.

Ray Martin DeMonia died last week in Meridian, Mississippi. He was three days shy of his 74th birthday and a well-known native in Cullman, Alabama, his family said.

DeMonia suffered from a cardiac event, and emergency staff at Cullman Regional Medical Center had to bring him to the nearest available bed, which was nearly 200 miles away at a Mississippi hospital.

(Hey Mikkey, this guy died. Sounds like he was vaccinated and died as a result of COVID even though he did not have COVID. We should be sad about this, right?)

Andres1045

I’m not ‘sticking it’ to anyone and this is the attitude I’m talking about. Negativity. Towards me. Because I’m not like you and don’t want to be like you. It absolutely has a role in my decision. I choose to be part of the 30% not required to be vaccinated. Im too stupid to know what that means though and I’m sure it is on purpose. It is sad when I live in a country where people want to restrict travel for an entire group based on their vaccination status. Maybe we need to go back to segregation and have ‘vaccinated’ restaurants and the unvaccinated pick up their take out behind the front entrance so no one has to eat with the unvaccinated. Maybe we should make it illegal for the unvaccinated to associate in public too.

If you ignore the lame joke in the first two sentences, it's really hard to see that post as negative towards you. I don't care at all whether you are like me, vote like me, enjoy what I enjoy, or anything else, including whether you're vaccinated. I just had hoped you weren't making the decision to get vaccinated or not based on political BS instead of other reasons. But it seems like you are. And ultimately, whatevs. At least you own it. I respect that to some degree. It's better than coming up with "the Chinese used Italian satellites to alter our election" level theories as to why no one should be vaccinated.

Upcoming races: Boston

Elite Jogger

If you ignore the lame joke in the first two sentences, it's really hard to see that post as negative towards you. I don't care at all whether you are like me, vote like me, enjoy what I enjoy, or anything else, including whether you're vaccinated. I just had hoped you weren't making the decision to get vaccinated or not based on political BS instead of other reasons. But it seems like you are. And ultimately, whatevs. At least you own it. I respect that to some degree. It's better than coming up with "the Chinese used Italian satellites to alter our election" level theories as to why no one should be vaccinated.

Yep, your posts are always worth reading and non judgemental/preachy which I like.  Of course adding in a joke can always be a bit hit or miss on the internet. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Where's the unity in the US to fight against this pandemic like we had after 9/11?

2021 Races:

10/07/21 - One Day at the Fair 12-Hour (Thursday)

11/20/21 - Crooked Road 24

Possibly on this forum. I have no idea who a lot of the posters are on this thread or their running history as they only seem to unlurk here. Pretty sad really.

I logon and read through but just don't seem to have the energy to suffer fools like I used to and lurk on.

Relative to covid ... Two of my wive's contemporaries died this year, both in their 40s. Both have obits that read something like "after a short illness..."

The most recent one died Tuesday. He was 47. I've met him and know his stories. He was a character who annually built a hockey rink in his yard so big it had a webpage and tournaments. He was fit and had no known pre existing medical issues. In the last 5 years he drifted away from many of his friends and isolated himself among those who politically aligned with his views, including anti vaccination.

When he caught covid he didn't seek medical help. Ultimately he collapsed in front of his mother and was DOA by the time the ambulance got him to the hospital.

He left two teen boys and a kindergarten teacher wife to make their way in life without his support and handsome engineer salary.

Some people will do anything for their kids and family but... Well, not really.

Some folks aren't into collectivism but don't realize that begins across the dinner table with your own family.

Lately it seems someone in my circle has a shitty covid story every other week. It's getting old and avoidable. Instead of having sympathy I just get angry.

I have two uncles. The young and healthy one was unvaccinated and spent 11 days in the hospital with covid and another 2 months before he could return to work. The older less healthy and vaccinated one got breakthrough covid and recovered at home while walking his dog, mowing the lawn, power washing the house, yammering on the phone with everyone, and generally catching up on things. That's how it's supposed to go.

Oh, what was I saying?? Oh, I unlurked and it's pretty sad. I guess that's it.

Elite Jogger

Where's the unity in the US to fight against this pandemic like we had after 9/11?

Well the US unity “fight” against 9/11 didn’t end well, did it?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Prince of Fatness

Well the US unity “fight” against 9/11 didn’t end well, did it?

You got all of the answers. What would you have done?

Not at it at all. 

Elite Jogger

You got all of the answers. What would you have done?

If you don’t realise the damage your President has done then you are beyond help.