Covid 19 (Read 473 times)

Elite Jogger

Good thing with the COVID 19 vaccine the transmission doesn't change based on vaccination status. I always thought the point of being vaccinated was so you don't die from it, but apparently spreading it is the point. I was totally find with businesses shut down, people locked indoors, and events canceled until COVID 19 went away but stupid me couldn't understand how my life choices affect society. Yes I'm being a smartass about this, and no I don't see how vaccination is important when masks and lockdowns worked previously to stop the spread. This is the longest two weeks of my life.

Yep, the original idea was that all 70+ and vulnerable folk get the vaccine, now kids between 12/15yo will be offered the vaccine and allowed to make their own choice!  And being vaccinated doesn’t seem to stop you catching or spreading covid.

In one of the breakfast news channels yesterday they did a comparison...

12th September 2020 - 2656 cases - 18 deaths - 218 hospital admissions.

12th September 2021 - 29,173 cases - 56 deaths - 1073 hospital admissions. (that’s with 81% of the adult UK population double vaccinated and 89% with one dose.)

Their conclusion was that measures need to be tightened again rather than loosened. Boris is holding a briefing later today which should be worth tuning in for, just for the entertainment value.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

A bit off topic, but genuinely interested in this...you write "in one of the...channels". Is this the common idiom there? That something happens "in" a channel, vs "on" a channel as we typically say in the US? Maybe it's short for "in a segment on"...? Or would you typically write "In a segment in one of the news channels"? (vs. "In a segment on one of the news channels"). Though now that I think about it, maybe "on a segment on"...would be more correct, though what happened was within the segment, so in is probably good there. Of course, now that I'm reading it again, "channel" must mean the equivalent of "show" and not "channel" as we think of it here. Because it would be ridiculous to have a whole channel (in the US meaning) devoted to breakfast news. I mean, breakfast generally ends at sometime in the morning. What programming would the channel broadcast the rest of the day? I suppose they could repeat the show. I can't imagine that would get very good ratings. I don't think in vs. on makes much difference, but I would like to know if channel means "show" or if it's the same there that shows are broadcast on channels. Or if you just were typing fast and while you maybe didn't type precisely what you meant, the meaning was clear enough for an audience generally familiar with channels and shows and ins and ons to understand your meaning. Also, I suggest getting the vaccine in your arm, to prevent the dying.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

I say "standing in line," but I hear "standing on line" a lot.

My unvaccinated aunt with COVID has now been taken to the ER.  And yes, I'm angry at her and my uncle for being irrational.  They endangered themselves and my father.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yep, the original idea was that all 70+ and vulnerable folk get the vaccine, now kids between 12/15yo will be offered the vaccine and allowed to make their own choice!  And being vaccinated doesn’t seem to stop you catching or spreading covid.

12th September 2021 - 29,173 cases - 56 deaths - 1073 hospital admissions. (that’s with 81% of the adult UK population double vaccinated and 89% with one dose.)

Their conclusion was that measures need to be tightened again rather than loosened. Boris is holding a briefing later today which should be worth tuning in for, just for the entertainment value.

Imagine that. Elected officials feel they need MORE authority not less and freedoms are not for everyone. Just what I'd expect after a year of riots where poor treatment of people was the biggest reason for the riots. Thankfully lockdowns haven't resulted in mass riots and looting...I mean "peaceful protests."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 51

5k19:35 | Marathon 2:59:10

Running Problem

Problem Child

I say "standing in line," but I hear "standing on line" a lot.

My unvaccinated aunt with COVID has now been taken to the ER.  And yes, I'm angry at her and my uncle for being irrational.  They endangered themselves and my father.

I hope you told the ER to deny her treatment.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 51

Running Problem

Problem Child

This remains unclear.

Not according to anything I see. Transmission is way worse from the unvaccinated than the vaccinated. CLEARLY the unvaccinated are spreading it based on the MSNBC/CNN/New York Times/SF Chronicle/Detroit Free Press articles.

VDOT 51

A bit off topic,

Speaking of journalism, Kevin, last night on one of the mainstream news channels (it has "news" in it's name so it must be news, right?) a young frozen fish heir did a segment on Nicki Minaj's cousin's friend in Trinidad who has likely has contracted an STD:

Now the chyron is a bit misleading because it wasn't Nicki's cousin's testicle that got swole, but her cousin's friend's. But these are the kinds of mistakes that sometimes happen when you're trying to cover important stories and bring the news to the people.

Runners run.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did AC/DC predict the future...?

'21 Goals:

No published goals...not going to jinx things • $500

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

taking random snapshots is no way to do statistics since spike in hospitalization and deaths follow cases by several weeks, but ignoring that, doesn't seeing Death/Cases down from 0.7% to 0.2% mean something good? How many times do we say "if it only saves one life..." and yet maybe vaccinations are saving 100 lives every day in the UK and you see this as bad?

dhuffman63

Trails

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Someone needs to inform them that Ivermectin ≠ vitamin.

This image is crazy to me. https://twitter.com/benmeyerink/status/1437783211703246861?s=20

'21 Goals:

No published goals...not going to jinx things • $500

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Elite Jogger

taking random snapshots is no way to do statistics since spike in hospitalization and deaths follow cases by several weeks, but ignoring that, doesn't seeing Death/Cases down from 0.7% to 0.2% mean something good? How many times do we say "if it only saves one life..." and yet maybe vaccinations are saving 100 lives every day in the UK and you see this as bad?

I only posted the data as the discussion caught my attention whilst busy multi tasking yesterday morning (eating cornflakes/combing my hair/putting feet into shoes)  I was surprised at the higher cases considering the amount of people double vaccinated and it would be interesting to know the percentage reduction of transmission between vaccinated and unvaccinated folk.

Kevin - Thank you for you witty response and I apologise for not being clear...the discussion was on a breakfast show on ITV called Good Morning Britain. It's normally a bit lightweight/mainstream for my liking, but I’m sure the data I posted is legit.  And also, just because someone asks questions regarding data and has some empathy and understanding towards people who choose not to have the vaccine - that doesn’t automatically make them an anti-vaxxer. Try to remember that. 👍

I must be getting old as I had no idea who Nicki Minaj was until today. She was even mentioned in the Boris briefing this afternoon. Damn it, I might have to check her out on Spotify now. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

Snapshot or not, I find the point troubling, assuming it's accurate. I wonder about the 81%/89% numbers. I have no idea if this site is accurate or not, but I've been looking at ourworldindata.org to see vaccination status of different countries. To compare it across the board, they keep it simple. Instead of using "adult population" or including people who have recovered from covid as part of those that are immune, they simply take the entire population of a country and then the number that have a single shot (of a double shot vaccine) and the number of those that are totally vaccinated. That makes it easier to compare country to country.

Reading some newspapers, it makes it sound like Israel and the UK have an extremely high percentage of people vaccinated, yet struggle to keep their numbers down. But according to that site, Israel is 63% (totally vaccinated)/69% (at least one shot). For the UK, it's 65/71. Definitely better than the US, but still that's a lot of people that aren't vaccinated.

I still hold out hope that vaccination is our way out of this. But if countries like Spain and Portugal, that are now in the 75-80% range (and rising) of fully vaccinated populations, have another wave, I'll have some serious doubts.

Upcoming races: Boston

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

One factor that needs to be taken into account with year over year comparisons is that the Delta variant is many times more contagious that the original virus.

2021 Races:

10/07/21 - One Day at the Fair 12-Hour (Thursday)

11/20/21 - Crooked Road 24