Covid 19 (Read 473 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

My wonderings are if you don't believe in the Covid vaccination as a way to help in a public health way do you believe in all the other vaccinations that are required?  How about all the other health issues?  Should we just say F it and do what ever we feel like cause you know "freedom".  What if I sill had school age children and said F it no vaccinations for them?  Course then they couldn't go to school but F it they don't need to go to school since all they teach is lies.

I think every single person who can get the vaccination should.  If you've had Covid and can prove you have the antibodies then that would give you a medical exemption.  And masks should be worn whenever out in public.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Speaking of journalism, Kevin, last night on one of the mainstream news channels (it has "news" in it's name so it must be news, right?) a young frozen fish heir did a segment on Nicki Minaj's cousin's friend in Trinidad who has likely has contracted an STD:

Now the chyron is a bit misleading because it wasn't Nicki's cousin's testicle that got swole, but her cousin's friend's. But these are the kinds of mistakes that sometimes happen when you're trying to cover important stories and bring the news to the people.

What is the misleading part? The fact he said it was her cousin's friend's testicle, or the fact it was her cousin's friend's testicle? I'm confused as to what the mistake was.

here is the actual comment since someone can't even include it with their...oversized screen shot. See if you can figure it out before misinformation is spread.

https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/1437532566945341441?s=20

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 51

5k19:35 | Marathon 2:59:10

taking random snapshots is no way to do statistics since spike in hospitalization and deaths follow cases by several weeks, but ignoring that, doesn't seeing Death/Cases down from 0.7% to 0.2% mean something good? How many times do we say "if it only saves one life..." and yet maybe vaccinations are saving 100 lives every day in the UK and you see this as bad?

Another random snapshot is that 99.51% of covid deaths in England this year were not fully vaccinated.

Relative to transmission changing based upon vaccination status... I think we will see some interesting numbers come in this Fall from colleges that are fully vaccinated and still doing weekly surveillance. My son's college is 99.5% vaccinated and testing all students, faculty, and staff weekly. Their rolling 14 day positivity rate is 1/8th the rate of Massachusetts. (It's probably much lower since weekly testing is universal and catching mostly asymptomatic cases.) Their rolling breakthrough positivity rate is almost 1/2 that of our state. (Again, probably lower due to universal testing catching mostly asymptomatic cases.) Soon, I think we'll see some good numbers with statistical significance that show that covid simply struggles to survive in environments where vaccination is extremely high.

Here's another stat I think might matter. DeSantis won Florida by 32,463 votes. To date, Florida has lost 49,251 lives to Covid and over 18K in the past six months with vaccines widely available. Based upon the demographics of the willingly unvaxed, it will be interesting to see how many elections swing based on those numbers. It's going to happen but will it just be in a few small elections or something consequential? Let's check back in a little over a year and find out. In the meantime, the unnecessary deaths will continue. Sadly.

Running Problem

Problem Child

My wonderings are if you don't believe in the Covid vaccination as a way to help in a public health way do you believe in all the other vaccinations that are required? 

yes

How about all the other health issues?  Should we just say F it and do what ever we feel like cause you know "freedom". 

yes

What if I sill had school age children and said F it no vaccinations for them? 

Do you mean like the parents who literally do this and their kids are sent home because of a Whooping Cough outbreak? They're YOUR children. Not Karen's, not Kyle's, not Devin's, and not Sandra's. Yours.

Course then they couldn't go to school but F it they don't need to go to school since all they teach is lies.

Plenty of children are allowed in school without vaccinations.

I think every single person who can get the vaccination should.  If you've had Covid and can prove you have the antibodies then that would give you a medical exemption.  And masks should be worn whenever out in public.

So if I think you SHOULD carry a gun to protect those around you would you agree? At what point do YOUR freedoms end and MY rights begin? The word SHOULD does NOT mean must. Don't your remember the mask mandate President Joe Biden passed then "violated" except his mandate said people SHOULD wear masks at Federal buildings/locations then he was photographed at the Lincoln or Washington Memorial without a mask on and said "well it was just for a quick photo."?

Amazing what SHOULD vs MUST means. WE SHOULD, but we don't have to.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 51

5k19:35 | Marathon 2:59:10

I only posted the data as the discussion caught my attention whilst busy multi tasking yesterday morning (eating cornflakes/combing my hair/putting feet into shoes)  I was surprised at the higher cases considering the amount of people double vaccinated and it would be interesting to know the percentage reduction of transmission between vaccinated and unvaccinated folk.

And do number of deaths in the UK matter to you?

Half Crazy K 2.0

Has there been anything that shows what level of antibodies are protective from a past infection? If so, do people need to get blood drawn on a monthly basis to continue to prove immunity? That addes more work to the medical system.

What is the misleading part? The fact he said it was her cousin's friend's testicle, or the fact it was her cousin's friend's testicle? I'm confused as to what the mistake was.

Where do you see the word "friend" on that graphic?

Elite Jogger

One factor that needs to be taken into account with year over year comparisons is that the Delta variant is many times more contagious that the original virus.

Yep that’s a good point. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Here's another stat I think might matter. DeSantis won Florida by 32,463 votes. To date, Florida has lost 49,251 lives to Covid and over 18K in the past six months with vaccines widely available. Based upon the demographics of the willingly unvaxed, it will be interesting to see how many elections swing based on those numbers. It's going to happen but will it just be in a few small elections or something consequential? Let's check back in a little over a year and find out. In the meantime, the unnecessary deaths will continue. Sadly.

I have wondered about this. It is probably too cynical to say that right wing politicians didn't care about deaths if the deaths were largely among people in the cities (as was the case in early 2020). But then again, I think they are starting to notice that their constituents are dying at a higher rate now. It's a self inflicted wound if you tell your voters that there is nothing to fear and they should be encouraged to be on the side of Covid transmission.

“All I can say is that on this earth there are pestilences and there are victims– and as far as possible one must refuse to be on the side of the pestilence.”
                    ― Albert Camus, The Plague

Elite Jogger

And do number of deaths in the UK matter to you?

Dear lord, I give up with you. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

I give up with you. 

Wait. Is this possible? Sign me up!

Somebody get me a like button, damnit.  Eric : ) ?

Prince of Fatness

At what point do YOUR freedoms end and MY rights begin?

This question can, and should, be asked in both directions.

Not at it at all. 

The trick is to ask a question twice apparently.

He dodged it the first time when I said his data showed that perhaps 100 people per day were alive because of the drop in death rate which may be due to the vaccine. So I thought I would ask him again. I didn't realize there would be such a benefit to asking twice.

Elite Jogger

Snapshot or not, I find the point troubling, assuming it's accurate. I wonder about the 81%/89% numbers. I have no idea if this site is accurate or not, but I've been looking at ourworldindata.org to see vaccination status of different countries. To compare it across the board, they keep it simple. Instead of using "adult population" or including people who have recovered from covid as part of those that are immune, they simply take the entire population of a country and then the number that have a single shot (of a double shot vaccine) and the number of those that are totally vaccinated. That makes it easier to compare country to country.

Reading some newspapers, it makes it sound like Israel and the UK have an extremely high percentage of people vaccinated, yet struggle to keep their numbers down. But according to that site, Israel is 63% (totally vaccinated)/69% (at least one shot). For the UK, it's 65/71. Definitely better than the US, but still that's a lot of people that aren't vaccinated.

I still hold out hope that vaccination is our way out of this. But if countries like Spain and Portugal, that are now in the 75-80% range (and rising) of fully vaccinated populations, have another wave, I'll have some serious doubts.

Well this is the official government website.  Do we believe government statistics as I’m guessing you would know more than me Smile

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

Elite Jogger