Covid 19 (Read 469 times)

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

‘I don’t want it. I’m not afraid of catching Covid and I accept death as a possible outcome.’

A lazy answer, but ok.

Which leads to the question: acknowledging that you are willing to accept death as a possible outcome, are you also willing to pay all the excess costs from severe and/or long COVID - should you get it - out of pocket?

dhuffman63

Trails

Anyone know what the average cost is for a covid patient who is hospitalized and has to be put on a vent?  I passed out at work in March and spent 10 hours in the ER having all sorts of tests and it cost my insurance $16,907.  Luckily they found nothing and it was probably due to the fact that the waiting area in the vault was hot and since it was so early I hadn't had anything to eat.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

10. Crippling phobia of needles.

I was going to add this.  Subcategories:

a. Afraid of the needle itself.

b. Afraid of getting "stuff" squirted into one's arm.

Trent

Goodnight Monkey

Looks like a mean $20k-$28k. Several sources, here is one from the gov.

A challenge is that the mean (average) may not represent well the sickest of our patients who can spend 20-40 days in the ICU on the vent at an average cost of $1k-$10k per day.

Running Problem

Problem Child

A lazy answer, but ok.

Which leads to the question: acknowledging that you are willing to accept death as a possible outcome, are you also willing to pay all the excess costs from severe and/or long COVID - should you get it - out of pocket?

Thankfully the Affordable Care Act was passed so "Insurance will pay for it" is my response. This would require I first contract covid 19 while following all COVID 19 protocols in place, then suffer from this "long COVID" you speak of.

If I get a blood clot, Myocarditis or Pericarditis do I get money from the pharmaceutical companies to pay for the damages they've caused to my heart, and if I die because of their vaccine are they financially responsible to provide for my family financially and emotionally for the next 60 years? If they don't have to pay, why should I?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 51

5k19:35 | Marathon 2:59:10

Running Problem

Problem Child

Other reasons:

8. being advised by one's doctor not to get it, or to wait a certain period of time before getting it.

9. not being able to take the time off of work for the vaccination and possible recovery period after.

10. Crippling phobia of needles.

11. Fears of being picked up due to one's undocumented status in the US.

This was a MAJOR one I saw. Massive pushes in the "latinx" communities to get vaccinated and a strong reluctance due to immigration status.

Time off work was just annoying. My office said last year you'd get 2 weeks admin leave if you were sick with the covid, and could have a few days off if you were vaccinated. Now...testing for unvaccinated and if you're positive you must use sick time. Admin leave if you test positive and are vaccinated. Benefits of being vaccinated are clear. It might explain an increase in "breakthrough cases" when people are given admin leave just for testing positive. "hey boss I'm vaccinated and just tested positive so I need that two week admin leave. Oh yeah I see Labor Day weekend is coming up too. It's just a coincidence I guess."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 51

dhuffman63

Trails

This actually popped up today in the Tulsa World.

According to Fair Health, the total average charge per COVID-19 patient requiring a hospital stay is estimated at around $73,300, and the total average estimated in-network amount per insured patient is $38,221.

The article did bring up the possibility of the employers insurance increasing premiums to cover the additional costs which would then flow down to the employees kind of like what Delta did.  This is just the impact for the insured...what about those who are uninsured?  I worked at a very small CPA office and we had no insurance coverage and this was before the ACA.  I live in rural OK and if I had a heart attack or stroke or even a serious auto accident I would have to be medi-vacced as the hospital here can't deal with that.  When my daughter and her friend were in a car accident her friend had to be life flighted out and my daughter sent by ambulance to Tulsa.  I'm not sure what would happen now if that happened as the hospitals in OK are kind of full right now.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I like to limit my contact with others to less than 15 minutes while indoors and within 6 feet of each other while wearing masks. No I’m not joking. 

Honestly, if you take those precautions all the time, you're doing something to help (that whole swiss chesse model).

I'm more frustrated with people who aren't vaccinated, won't wear a mask, won't distance, refuse to test for symptoms and refuse to be a part of contact tracing.

Running Problem

Problem Child

This actually popped up today in the Tulsa World.

According to Fair Health, the total average charge per COVID-19 patient requiring a hospital stay is estimated at around $73,300, and the total average estimated in-network amount per insured patient is $38,221.

The article did bring up the possibility of the employers insurance increasing premiums to cover the additional costs which would then flow down to the employees kind of like what Delta did.  This is just the impact for the insured...what about those who are uninsured?  I worked at a very small CPA office and we had no insurance coverage and this was before the ACA.  I live in rural OK and if I had a heart attack or stroke or even a serious auto accident I would have to be medi-vacced as the hospital here can't deal with that.  When my daughter and her friend were in a car accident her friend had to be life flighted out and my daughter sent by ambulance to Tulsa.  I'm not sure what would happen now if that happened as the hospitals in OK are kind of full right now.

Did it say anything about vaccinated people costing less?

VDOT 51

Running Problem

Problem Child

Honestly, if you take those precautions all the time, you're doing something to help (that whole swiss chesse model).

I'm more frustrated with people who aren't vaccinated, won't wear a mask, won't distance, refuse to test for symptoms and refuse to be a part of contact tracing.

Swiss cheese is so 2020. 2021 is about brute force.

VDOT 51

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Did it say anything about vaccinated people costing less?

Vaccinated people are much much less likely to require hospitalization.  So from that sense, yes, they will cost less.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Elite Jogger

Beam me up, Scotty.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Call me a pragmatist, but I just don't see why people would avoid getting vaccinated in the absence of a valid health reason.

The reality is that vaccination is highly likely to be required for most international travel. Hell, in parts of Europe it's already required to access community swimming pools and other facilities.

It reduces the chance you'll catch Covid.  It reduces the severity of the symptoms if you do catch it.  It reduces the chance you'll pass it on.  There's a minor risk of side effects, which is no worse than any other vaccine and frankly is probably still a lot lower than the chance of having a car accident or various other day to day risks that no one thinks twice about.

Maybe it's the lockdown Stockholm Syndrome talking but honestly I see it as a bit of a no-brainer.  Frankly it seems like a very small price to pay for returning the world to some semblance of normality.

5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20) | 10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) 

HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Meridian Hydro Half Marathon (trail), 7 Aug, 1:19:44 (2nd)

Up next: Run Orewa 10km, 17 Oct (COVID-permitting)

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Call me a pragmatist, but I just don't see why people would avoid getting vaccinated in the absence of a valid health reason.

One thing I've learned  - the more you pressure and harass and lecture people to do something, and the more that you tell them that they're stupid for not doing something... the less likely they are to do it and the more likely they are to dig in their heels.

We're seeing that play out in the US.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One thing I've learned  - the more you pressure and harass and lecture people to do something, and the more that you tell them that they're stupid for not doing something... the less likely they are to do it and the more likely they are to dig in their heels.

We're seeing that play out in the US.

AKA toddlers and adolescents.

'21 Goals:

No published goals...not going to jinx things • $500

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay