Covid 19 (Read 346 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Raise your hand if, prior to this year, you had no idea who developed and/or manufactured any of the vaccines you received.

*raises hand*

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Raise your hand if, prior to this year, you had no idea who developed and/or manufactured any of the vaccines you received.

*raises hand*

Raise your hand if you never knew how few people get the flu vaccine before COVID 19 published the statistics on flue vaccination rates.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I never looked at the print out with all my flu vaccine info to see where it came from. Most people probably know of Pfizer for their little blue pill.

I did know about the lousy numbers on flu vaccines. It's why for the last 7+ years, if I want to continue to work at my job, I have to get one.

JMac11

Taper Czar

I did know about the lousy numbers on flu vaccines. It's why for the last 7+ years, if I want to continue to work at my job, I have to get one.

Got the flu vaccine last year, came down with the flu. They actually hope some of this mRNA technology being developed here will make the flu vaccine much more effective in future years. I will say though that it was way more mild than what you would expect with the "real" flu, which is the ultimate hope with COVID after being vaccinated: even if you catch it, it will be mild.

I am going to return to normal life 2 weeks after my 2nd shot, e.g. going back to dining indoors, which I haven't done since March 2020. If I get COVID, so be it. I was reading a recent survey of epidemiologists, and 26 percent are still cleaning their mail. I firmly believe in following the science. This is not following the science (long ago disproved that fomite transmission was occurring with COVID). It makes me cautious directly following their advice of how to resume life after vaccines if they're effectively hermits in their own lives. Some said they wouldn't resume any "risky" activities until they had their vaccine and herd immunity was reached, which honestly may not occur for years, if ever.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:15:28 (3/20)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Next Race: Whatever COVID-19 will allow me to run 

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I think it is interesting that there have been zero flu related deaths reported this season.  Which, unless you're conspiracy minded, either means COVID gets to people first, or precautions for COVID make the less virulent Flu unable to flourish.  If so, it would mean saving Flu lives is 100% possible, but as a society we choose not to (possibly for good reasons).

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This is not following the science 

The problem with "following the science" IMHO is that there is no real solid science (by which I mean large scale double blind studies) for anything except the vaccine.  Everything else is just observational.

This post brought to you by a woman who has gotten pissed off at the people who insist that everyone should be masked at all times when outside of the home, and that the basis for this is "following the science."  If your definition of science is loose enough (and this is directed at the mask-at-all-times types, not Jmac) then you can find science for just about anything.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

Taper Czar

DW - totally agree. I actually think it's become a political statement for people. They follow the science they like, not what it actually says. Whatever conforms to their view (COVID needs to be avoided at all costs to society, or it's a hoax)

My view was that being overly conservative was correct early on, but as more evidence has come into how this is transmitted, we can be more targeted. You're not getting COVID from your Amazon package and you're not getting it passing by each other for half a second on the street without a mask. I agree this isn't a double blind study, but it's the best we can do, although to your point it gives people an out to argue whatever side they want.

I'd also say on the other side, I keep hearing "masks don't work". Why can nobody recognize that some masks don't work at all (bandana type and other very thin cloth, or dick-nose wearers), some masks work VERY well (N95), but most masks provide some protection. The lack of nuance in all of our conversations these days is an awful development over the last decade.

stad - posted something earlier in this thread on that, I found it fascinating. There are some competing theories on whether it's all of our actions that have done this, or whether it's because COVID has crowded out all other viruses. There were some studies early on (before serious lockdowns started) that showed people with COVID were much less likely to have the flu. My guess is we could eliminate a vast majority of it going forward. It's always what bothered me early on in the pandemic though that we said we were putting the economy ahead of grandma. Um, we've been doing that for thousands of years.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:15:28 (3/20)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The lack of nuance in all of our conversations these days is an awful development over the last decade.

Sing it, brother.  This is true for all sides, and all quarters and most conversations in the public sphere.

My outlandish proposition is that people should read more poetry: the language of ambiguity and nuance.  I say this as an engineer.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've gone back and forth about the always mask outside the house, less for science and more for clarity. If the rule is you must wear a mask when outside the house, it's clear. If the rule is wear a mask outside when social distancing isn't possible, that gets interpreted 100 different ways. Something I read back in the summer was you want to have simple public health guidance.

It seems common around here that races require a mask at the start and after finishing, plus any time when social distancing cannot be maintained. I'm curious, if you are racing, what would this mean to you?

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It seems common around here that races require a mask at the start and after finishing, plus any time when social distancing cannot be maintained. I'm curious, if you are racing, what would this mean to you?

It means when I'm huff'n-and-puff'n up to someone's shoulder I shout "PUT YOUR F'N MASK ON, MATE, SO I CAN PASS YOU!" Wink

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm just happy because I was an over-controlling mother and found my 23-year-old kid a vaccination appointment for April 10, hours after the state announced that all adults were eligible.  Yeah, I should have let her do it.  But this year has SUCKED for her, and she has kept a remarkably positive attitude the entire time.  She deserves a break.

If I can't find something closer in the meantime, it will mean a 4-hour round trip for her (twice), but as she pointed out, her older brother is seriously considering flying home from LEBANON to get vaccinated, so this trip would be nothing.

I've been lucky to race 6 times since October. Some courses had out and back sections, so when approaching each other, many would pull up a buff when passing, then pull down. Other loop courses, same thing when over taking. A few runners wearing masks gun to tape, others not so much.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

flavio1980

Intl. correspondent

Italy has banned all races since the beginning of October. ALL races.

100 people elbow to elbow in a bar or restaurant is fine. 100 people in the theater is fine.

100 people running outdoors, naturally separated, and the group least likely to catch it? GOOD LORD SOMEBODY GUILLOTINE THOSE BASTARDS!

The rules are very smart.

If you live in Italy, then you're supposed to stay at home at all times unless you have to go to work or the hospital.

There's no control though, it's all based on the honor system 

But the flights from the UK are banned so surely we're safe from the UK variant right?

Actually no, if you are coming from abroad there are no restrictions, just please bring in your covid.

Of course if you fly to Switzerland then cross the border then you don't have covid.

80% of the current cases are the UK variant 

Maximum is they'll ask you to please quarantine for 14 days but again there's no control, so do as you please. Wanna go to the pub every day to spread covid? Be our guest.

Vaccination? They're still vaxxing over 80s. To be fair, that's like 80% of the population in Italy 

People don't respect the rules because they're stupid. It's like the government is in a competition to see how they can be as incompetent and useless as possible.

I'm just pissed off that we could be traveling around in our extremely low profile non covid or other virus spreading way (like it's always been before) and we can't due to the rules.

Yet the covid spreaders are living their lives as if nothing changed and there are no enforced rules to stop them.

So I say just lift the stupid rules and let the people be. The good thing about no rules is that covid spreads like wildfire burns through a population and then stops soon after. The smart people are doing the basic to protect themselves (like not going to private parties for 3 to 4 hours unmasked).

/rant

PRs: 5K 17:56.7 (2021) 9.86K 36:40 (2020) HM 1:21:59 (2021)

Up next: 3 countries marathon - Oct 10th

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

Taper Czar

A+ rant

Half Crazy K 2.0

We're in the middle of a spike in cases in MD. Our governor encouraged residents to travel to the beach for the holiday weekend, but to stop by a mass vaccination site on the eastern shore because they now accept walk ups. Maybe, just maybe, it would make sense to send the shots to the more populated parts of the state. He also said to go get French fries & brunch while at the beach. At least the fries you eat while sitting or walking along the boardwalk.

There is actually a fairly large (for covid times) race by the vax site tomorrow. Looks like you can pop into the parking lot for the civic center right around mile 1. And as I just typed that, I can only imagine the cluster of lots of out of towners trying to find the place while roads are closed for the race, although I think that will re-open fairly early since it's by mile 1.

To add to the rant, which I agree with, how after over a year is contact tracing basically worthless. There is nothing telling me where/how people are getting sick unless cases get traced back to a particular event. Maryland tells me what activities people reported doing, but that doesn't mean it's how they got sick. And when you only ask for close contacts and if you went to work, well, that doesn't mean much.