CamelBak or GoLite backpacks (Read 1098 times)

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I am thinking of purchasing a CamelBak or Golite hydration backpack and was looking for any input from people that have used these products. I plan on using it for not just my long runs, but also biking and hiking, so I am pretty sure that if I do purchase I would want a backpack model with at least some storage space for lunches, gear, etc. All models, brands, experiences that would help me with my research phase would be greatly appreciated.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The needs for running and biking differ from hiking. With hiking you need to maximize storage and support. With running you need to maximize compactness. I have a small camelback that I use only for very very long runs, such as unsupported ultra distances.
        Ditto Trent. I have a camelbak flashflo. Holds @ 45 ounces. Waistbelt only. Holds keys, small camera & wallet and/or gels. Also have a larger camelbak that hold 70 ounces, has shoulder/chest/waist harnesses (harni?) also has a bellows back, but when full, you can't really put any more "other" items than in the flashflo. I have run/biked with both. When I hike, I just toss the big one in my old-school*, but funtional Lowe backpack. I haven't hiked since buying the flashflo, but I'm sure I could do the same. Another option if you already have a backpack: Just buy a bladder and shove it in there. All the major playas sell replacement bags, er, reservoirs. Platypus also has some cheap, er, affodable options. I have a Platypus bag going 10 years now. That way, you can buy a running specific one, where fit/comfort may be more important than in hiking. * Many newer backpacks have hydration systems.
        mbk

I have a CamelBak M.U.L.E. (a couple of years old). Haven't used it much for the reasons Trent cites (I usually plan my routes to pass by my car or some refueling options, so I only need a waist pack or handheld bottle or, in some cases, both). But when I have used the MULE I've been happy with it. It holds 70 oz. of fluid and has lots of extra room for storage of minor supplies, sandwiches/snacks, etc. It has a couple of different external and internal pockets so all of your gear is not jumbled together in one big pile. It also has compression straps to hold a jacket or extra clothing. I've also attached an extra pocket to the front (Amphipod has one that works well, or a cell phone holder designed for outdoors) to hold frequently accessed items like electrolyte caps or gels.

A Saucy Wench

For running I hate the backpack model, I love my waistpack camelbak....which would not work well for biking But biking i have bottle holders on my frame and hiking the waistpak works fine. Mine is about 10 years old..a 50 oz bladder.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I have the Nathan HPL 020 Race Vest that I use for long ultramarathons and mid-length unsupported runs. It rides MUCH better than any of my other smallish packs (I also have 5 GoLite packs, 2 Camelbacks, and one Gregory pack in the "small hydration pack category"). Actually, for fit and ride, there is absolutely no comparison between it and my other packs. It's great for running because it doesn't bounce, the straps are very wide and secure, and there are front pockets for gels and stuff (so you can eat w/o taking it off). http://www.zombierunner.com/store/brands/nathan_sports/product932.html The pack itself is *very* small. It can only fit a few bars, phone, map, jacket, gloves, and hat in it, so it's not big enough for really long unsupported wilderness runs, but it's good for stuff in the 6-ish hour and under range in good weather. I've heard a LOT of recommendations for the Ultimate Direction WASP pack for runs that require a bit more storage, but I haven't tried one yet. http://www.zombierunner.com/store/brands/ultimate_direction/product630.html - Chris

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I have the Nathan HPL 020 Race Vest that I use for long ultramarathons and mid-length unsupported runs. It rides MUCH better than any of my other smallish packs (I also have 5 GoLite packs, 2 Camelbacks, and one Gregory pack in the "small hydration pack category"). Actually, for fit and ride, there is absolutely no comparison between it and my other packs. It's great for running because it doesn't bounce, the straps are very wide and secure, and there are front pockets for gels and stuff (so you can eat w/o taking it off). - Chris
                Thanks for all the replies. One thing I didn't mention for why I am looking at backpack types, all the way back in junior high track I tore up both my hip flexors (audible pop when in happened, no surgery or anything but crutches for 1-3 weeks and lots of using handicap rails on the toilet to get up). So I can't stand anything around my hips adding extra weight, pressure etc. There is even a huge difference between shorts and layers for me, thankfully it is finally spring. While I am pretty sure it is just a fear thing, I don't think a waist pak would be for me. Although I will at least try them on at the store. Chris, wow why do you have so many packs. Are you willing to part with any of them? I would definitely be willing to pay a reasonable price for a good condition used pack.
                  I like my Gregory packs (Iso, Reactor) better than my Camelbak packs since they're lighter and hug my body better, although I find the Reactor too short for comfort (waist strap is too no where near waist). I'm adding shoulder pouches for more front pocket space. I've not tried a Golite, but have looked at them. Most of my races have little to no support, so have to carry a bunch of gear with me. Otherwise, I'd look more seriously at one of the vest-type systems. Something I don't like on the newer cb's is the narrower waist strap where pouches don't sit very well (old straps were about 1.5 in and held UD pouches), the added weight in accessories (not a big deal to a biker, but an issue for runners), and those sleeves for the tube that make them useless for winter use. Something I do like on newer ones is a larger small pocket that can hold food and first aid stuff. CB models I have include really old Cloudwalker and old Lobo, plus MULE (heavy; lighter packs can more volume), TrailBlazer (used for trail work), and Rim Runner (I think, got on closeout for a larger pack, not for running). I can't answer for Chris, but many trail and ultra runners tend to have an assortment of packs (back, waist), bottles, etc as they've tried various packs and looking for one that works for them and/or have packs for different durations (3 hr vs 13 hr) or purposes (running, trail building, summer / winter, whatever). Getting a good pack that works for you is like looking for shoes. Depends on your size, body shape, biomechanics to some extent, and purpose of pack. (Sorting through my collection of packs for potential items for our trail group's gear swap: what didn't work for me for running, but ended up getting used for something else, or just sits there unused and no hope of ever getting used.)
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    I can't answer for Chris, but many trail and ultra runners tend to have an assortment of packs (back, waist), bottles, etc as they've tried various packs and looking for one that works for them and/or have packs for different durations (3 hr vs 13 hr) or purposes (running, trail building, summer / winter, whatever). )
                    Yeah... you hit it exactly... all slightly different... always looking for the "perfect pack" and there's bound to be a pack for the right occasion, plus some are/were my wife's packs. It doesn't help that GoLite is located just a few miles away and they have a huge warehouse sale twice a year. Shocked GoLite is very very good at making my wallet lighter... I just can't say "no" to the insane deals. Big grin

Hawt and sexy

I had a nasty hip felxor injury in college during track season. After good PT there should be no problems. i have the flashflo and I love it for running. I have a Coleman backpack model I use for my trail runs. Meh. It's ok, it holds a ton, but my back sweats a lot. I have other hydration belts too. Yeah, I like hydration.

I'm touching your pants.

...It doesn't help that GoLite is located just a few miles away and they have a huge warehouse sale twice a year. Shocked GoLite is very very good at making my wallet lighter... I just can't say "no" to the insane deals. Big grin
                        That sounds truly dangerous. Smile Our stores (40 mi away, REI, hiking, camping, running stores) don't have a lot of Golite stuff, but I've picked up a shell on sierratradingpost. There's several items I would definitely look at if there were a store near me, esp. their lightweight stuff.
                        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        db7

I personally own two camelbaks but I hear great things about go lite. They are made just down the road here in Boulder. If I buy another backpack, it will be golite. Depends on what you need. Check out their website if you havent already. golite.com DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ