Ice, Ice, Baby (Read 134 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Was wondering if anyone had a product selection regarding reusable ice packs.

I used to use an old ice-bladder like you'd see in Bugs Bunny.  Fill it with ice.  Twist the cap.  Add a bit of water for contour.  Worked great.  Unfortunately, making ice that fits inside has become an issue.  Freezing water in it makes it unmalleable.  Breaking the ice inside, cracks the bladder.

I've also tried a few reusable "ice" packs.  Invariable they don't seem to be cold enough.  My skin gets cool, but I'm not convinced anything is actually happening regarding swelling.

So, two questions:

1) Anyone have an products to recommend, or ice-tricks that don't involve cubes?

2) If there's a doctor in the house: is there any merit to my feeling that some of these ice-packs don't actually get cold enough for any significant benefit?  Seems like they don't do much more than get my skin cool.

*context: I got a knee that needs a little love

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Ziploc bags?

Dave

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Ziploc bags?

I've tried this method: the general problem is that once the bag is frozen you need to break the ice so it will wrap around the knee.  This usually breaks the bag.  I'm hoping for a less wet solution.

2 parts water, 1 part alcohol. Put it in dave's ziploc (or your old lady water bladder thing). Put it in the freezer.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

A PT told me to add 1/2 water and 1/2 rubbing alcohol to a zip lock bag and keep it in the freezer. They stay soft and are easier to use than ice.

You can add the mixture to regular ice bags too.

an amazing likeness

Highly recommend buying a soft knee ice pack rather than trying to strap on ice cubes. They have reusable wrap-around cold packs, and lots of adjustability to get the cold where you need it and keep it there.

I use this one from Coreflex...it works, it has lasted 4-5 years, it's really versatile.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Highly recommend buying a soft knee ice pack rather than trying to strap on ice cubes. They have reusable wrap-around cold packs, and lots of adjustability to get the cold where you need it and keep it there.

I use this one from Coreflex...it works, it has lasted 4-5 years, it's really versatile.

Agree with the reusable wrap-around cold packs.  There are a variety out there.  A PT I worked with years ago had a selection of gel filled moldable ice packs in different sizes that worked well.

Failing that I usually go back to the bag of frozen peas or corn.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

I have been a huge fan of McDavid ice pack/compression wrap combo for well over a decade. however, I've had a very hard time finding replacements for the compression wraps. I believe they've stopped making the one I like (They need to be replaced after a few years as the velcro stops working).

I'm looking for a replacement, will update if/when I find one.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

>Failing that I usually go back to the bag of frozen peas or corn.

This. I strap it to the part that needs icing (knee or shin for example) using an old Theraband. A long winter scarf or maybe even neckties you don't like any more would work almost as well. You can buy lengths of Theraband on eBay if you've avoided PT so successfully that you don't own any.

Agree with the reusable wrap-around cold packs.  There are a variety out there.  A PT I worked with years ago had a selection of gel filled moldable ice packs in different sizes that worked well.

Failing that I usually go back to the bag of frozen peas or corn.

Another vote for frozen peas here. When I'm using them regularly I find they need to be replaced every so often because they get chunky from the freeze/thaw cycle, but they're only a couple bucks. I also have a reusable ice pack with a long velcro band, which I agree doesn't get cold enough on it's own, but does do an excellent job holding, you guessed it, the bag of frozen peas exactly where I want it.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Okay.  I'm going to try the Peas.  I've done the iso-propyl but had mixed results for some reason.  Might have had the ratio wrong.  But peas sound easy-peasy.

Prince of Fatness

There, it's out of my system.

Not at it at all. 

Best Present Ever

Was wondering if anyone had a product selection regarding reusable ice packs.

I used to use an old ice-bladder like you'd see in Bugs Bunny.  Fill it with ice.  Twist the cap.  Add a bit of water for contour.  Worked great.  Unfortunately, making ice that fits inside has become an issue.  Freezing water in it makes it unmalleable.  Breaking the ice inside, cracks the bladder.

I've also tried a few reusable "ice" packs.  Invariable they don't seem to be cold enough.  My skin gets cool, but I'm not convinced anything is actually happening regarding swelling.

So, two questions:

1) Anyone have an products to recommend, or ice-tricks that don't involve cubes?

2) If there's a doctor in the house: is there any merit to my feeling that some of these ice-packs don't actually get cold enough for any significant benefit?  Seems like they don't do much more than get my skin cool.

*context: I got a knee that needs a little love

There is little research on icing and most of what there is shows no benefit. It sometimes feels good though. I don't understand how they can argue that deep structures - like the knee joint - ever get cold enough for the ice to matter.

Daydreamer1

Maybe you should reach for the heat pack first.  I stumbled onto an argument the other day on a Medical board and one of the ortho Dr posted this link.  http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ice-delays-recovery.html

Supposedly this is the Dr that actually started the R.I.C.E. and now he's kind of switching things up.

I've been using just heat the past year or two and I definitely heal up faster.

DoppleBock

Ice and Alcohol ... It's Friday baby !

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !