What keeps you motivated when the weather goes to hell? (Read 1202 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For me it's remembering how much faster and stronger I was last Spring--after my first Winter of running. This year I am maintaining about 10 miles/week more than I did last Winter (yay, YakTrax!), so I am really hoping it means '08 is a year of amazing PR races and a strong first marathon effort. Running on snow and ice day-in/day-out can really be brutal, but I keep reminding myself that the beating my legs are taking (even at miserably slow paces) is going to pay off in another month or two. Oh, and the HTFU points. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I prefer running in crappy weather so my motivation is just the tired factor, not the weather. My best run this year was the one in the pouring rain where I stepped into calf-deep water (overflowing storm drain) because I was looking at some cute Christmas lights. When I got home my husband said my eyelashes were clumped together they were so wet, and slightly frozen. It was awesome. I laughed out loud when I stepped in that mini-lake. I squished the last 1.5 miles home, it was very fun. Big grin I'm crazy, I know. But I don't think I'd have the kahones to run in the ice or snow, so my hats off to you, Zoomie!! We don't get weather like that very often. We have lots of ice in the morning but I run in the evening and it's usually gone by then.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pouring rain runs are lots of fun--as long as it's not too cold. I discovered around Christmas that fleece can absorb a LOT of water and gets very heavy! Shocked

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have not seen ANY runners out on the streets the last half of this week - the conditions are just too horrible, even for Mainers (what about you, Blaine?). I'm having to run on the Y treadmill a lot. My motivation is the 5k I signed up for in Austin in April - I have to keep up with my friend who started running two months ago, lol. The half marathon in September is my main motivation, though. I'm determined to run the entire way, which will be a stretch for me. I'm trying to get up to 30 miles per week.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

When the weather sucks, I like to get out there and imagine that my competition is indoors, sipping tea and being all whimp-like. This made sense when I was in high school and there actually was competition. Now, I just rationalize it by thinking that everyone who's out to get me isn't putting in the miles in the bad weather like I am. So when they do come to get me, I can outrun them. Paranoia has its advantages. Clowning around Modified to fix grammatical error

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jeff, I do this too. Then I think about all the people who can take all Winter off and still kick my ass in a race with minimal training...'cause I'm so damned slow. Then I get pissed-off. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Mishka-old log

<cheesy>The joy of running...just knowing I can.</cheesy> When I get a string of good weeks going, I only get hungrier. Injuries have ended my forays sooner than lacking motivation, so yeah...just being healthy is all I've needed.

I have not seen ANY runners out on the streets the last half of this week - the conditions are just too horrible, even for Mainers (what about you, Blaine?).
                  We've had bad weather? I hadn't noticed... I've been out pretty much every day except Wednesday. I figured that 90 minutes of shoveling snow was enough of a workout, and I wouldn't have normally gone running until after dinner when the power was out in my neighborhood and there was an obscene amount of traffic despite the icy conditions - at least half of the traffic being ambulance / fire trucks. At least there wasn't as much flooding near my house as there was closer to town. Besides, it was more fun listening to my otherwise healthy trees drop their 4 inch diameter branches onto my roof, or to watch the walls shake as the snow catapulted itself off of my roof every 20 minutes or so. Last night the weather was pleasant, but the streets in Portland were a mix of fine for running and extremely slick - the worst part was the base of the hill we were trying to do repeats on. I did 2 and then just took it easy the rest of the run. Today was beautiful - got a good lunch time run in. Hopefully its as pleasant tonight. Tomorrow's run at Bradbury Mountain is looking to be a little chilly. Ian emailed everyone saying he was only going to run 10 miles and then do the long run on Sunday, but then he emailed us all again to let us know he had to do 18 miles because his wife called him a wuss and she planned on running 18.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

For me it is the upcoming races in my schedule. ___________ On my way home from work Wednesday, I saw someone running in the rain/slush/ice. My plan was to run on a treadmill in my basement, but first I had to stop the river of water flowing into the garage (not an easy thing to do). I finished the snow/ice trench and (with a surprisingly eerie snap/pop) the power went out. I skipped the run. Happily, the power came back on 22 hours later. Plan to go eight miles after work, and am looking forward to it.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

For me it is the upcoming races in my schedule. ___________ On my way home from work Wednesday, I saw someone running in the rain/slush/ice. My plan was to run on a treadmill in my basement, but first I had to stop the river of water flowing into the garage (not an easy thing to do). I finished the snow/ice trench and (with a surprisingly eerie snap/pop) the power went out. I skipped the run. Happily, the power came back on 22 hours later. Plan to go eight miles after work, and am looking forward to it.
                      Wow, I guess the runners in my town are wimps! I need to find a road that still has shoulders - the snowbanks are taking up all the room.
                        Wow, I guess the runners in my town are wimps! I need to find a road that still has shoulders - the snowbanks are taking up all the room.
                        Try getting out of town on country roads if you can... at least you have ditch to bail to, and there's fewer cars to dodge.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Try getting out of town on country roads if you can... at least you have ditch to bail to, and there's fewer cars to dodge.
                          Yup...and I find that at least half will give me room...the other half get shown their IQ displayed via my right middle finger.

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

My general tactic is to blow off my runs, get out of shape, mildly depressed, and mope around for a while until I get so miserable that the pain of slogging my out-of-shape body down the road looks downright joyful in comparison to the pale, pathetic existence that my life has become.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good morning, sunshine. Wink Are you there, yet? Spring is coming...we just have to be patient! Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Good morning, sunshine. Wink Are you there, yet? Spring is coming...we just have to be patient! Smile
                                Bliss ninny. Big grin