What factors do you consider when running a race? (Read 375 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Cost, location, course.

I am budget conscious. I can remember when 5/10ks were $10-15, $20 was a lot. I'll pay more than that now but reluctantly. If it's $20, I can handle that. $25 makes me consider it carefully. $30 or more for a 5 or 10K means the race has to be really good to have me sign up.

Course: personally I don't worry too much about certified, but I want a scenic course if possible. Race for the Cure in LA County switched from around the Rose Bowl to through Dodger Stadium parking lot and I haven't done it since.

One thing you didn't mention: Saturday or Sunday? I vastly prefer Saturday because I have church on Sunday. If you are in an area that has a high percentage of Sunday morning churchgoers, don't schedule a race for Sunday at 9 AM.

I would not attend the prerace dinner. You don't need a pasta party for a 10K!

I do not care about swag, medal, postrace stuff, and would rather have a cheaper race. And personally I like cotton shirts better than tech.

Cost, location, course.

I am budget conscious. I can remember when 5/10ks were $10-15, $20 was a lot. I'll pay more than that now but reluctantly. If it's $20, I can handle that. $25 makes me consider it carefully. $30 or more for a 5 or 10K means the race has to be really good to have me sign up.

Course: personally I don't worry too much about certified, but I want a scenic course if possible. Race for the Cure in LA County switched from around the Rose Bowl to through Dodger Stadium parking lot and I haven't done it since.

One thing you didn't mention: Saturday or Sunday? I vastly prefer Saturday because I have church on Sunday. If you are in an area that has a high percentage of Sunday morning churchgoers, don't schedule a race for Sunday at 9 AM.

I would not attend the prerace dinner. You don't need a pasta party for a 10K!

I do not care about swag, medal, postrace stuff, and would rather have a cheaper race. And personally I like cotton shirts better than tech.

The first thing I look at is whether it's on Saturday morning, for the reason you mentioned. Also, I do my long run on Saturday, so family logistics-wise, it's easier since I'm expected to be away on Sat. morning. If it is early, short and local (e.g., 5k or 10k beginning at 7 a.m.), then I will do a Sunday race. If it is a goal race, I'll race on Sunday.  I might want to run all the Grand Prix races for my club's scoring, so I may race on Sunday in those cases, as well.

The Saturday thing boxes me out of a lot of races, so I don't really consider any other factors.

I don't care about the goodie bag, either.

MTA: I don't think it's realistic for the OP to consider the religious demographics of the area. Many synagogue and church-goers will make an exception for racing.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think the key to getting a big turn out for this type of event is to try and appeal to non-runners as well.  I already know about pretty much every race thats within 20 miles of me, even if its not well advertised.  Make sure you do not neglect the family/walkers/kids demographic...I think for the most part, they are the ones that make these races possible.

**Ask me about streaking**

jojo61397

To answer the question about the frills-- all the frills have been donated for in kind sponsorships, so the only thing we are really spending money on is the t-shirts, the race organization, etc...  The price rose just to accommodate the cost of advertising, t-shirts, and other factors, but I'm willing to lower the price to get more people in.  We are able to do the timing relatively cheaply, because we live by a military base, and most of us are military, and they provide the clock.  I have the timing software, which was about $15.00.  I don't charge anyone for that.  We do finish cards.  The race is not chip timed, because to chip time a race for the number of entrants we have is just not worth it, and it would drive the price up (it's about $1500 for 475 entrants-- the number of runners we had last year).  The other races are 5Ks, on the same day, at different locations.  We originally had the race the third weekend April, but moved it to accommodate the Destin Charity Wine Auction-- as the charity and many of our non-profit groups participate in the wine auction.  The other courses, including the Grand Prix, are NOT USATF certified.  This is our second race, 8th expo.  The first race had over 400 entrants ( we were expecting 250).  I talked to many of the participants last year, and we were asked to add on a 10K, and the entrants said they would pay more.  We are doing team awards.  And 99.9% of the races here are 5Ks.  Ours is only the 2d 10K this year.  Course is well marked, and because nearly all the 5Ks that are run here, are run on that particular course, most of the runners are familiar with it.

Price point:

5K-- $35/$30 for 5 person team (each runner)

10K-- $40/$35 for 5 person team (each runner)

No prize money...  Though there are auction and raffles.  Winning teams get a trophy (traveling), age group winners get an autism tumbler and bragging rights.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
          Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Reputation of the race, quality of organization, value for money

I won't say course or distance from home since one can change with your goals (sometimes you want a hilly course and sometimes you want a PR attempt) and the other is a luxury of living in a big city (probably a race a weekend through the spring-fall and most are under 10k from my front door). However, the 3 I have listed above are deal-breakers: I'm more inclined to pick the race run by the good organization that is known for excellent chip-timing, accruate courses and put on by great volunteers. If those criteria can be met and the race is of a reasonable price (note: not always the cheapest, hence VALUE for money), then it's a go.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Slo

It's in 7 weeks, I have 3 people signed up, I'm nervous.  Would you run it?

The biggest factor for me in deciding on a race is Do I have the time.

That being said there are a few races that I make the time for. Those generally come down to the race atmosphere itself, mainly what transpires after the race...which usually involves alcohol of some sort.  Some of these the venue itself has planned it, in others it's just become a tradition, same folks, same bar.

In some cases I have traveled 7+ hours for such an atmosphere and cast of characters...Thank you Monkey. Plan on doing it again too.

Other factors, the RD. Some RD's just put on a better race. Orderly, smooth awards ceremony, good volunteers...I tend to put these first.

I really don't care if the course is certified...we're all running the same course. I'm not out for a PR everytime.

For a 5k, 10k, Half...Unless I know it is going to fill up and I really want to be there I don't register until a day or so out. I try hard to hit all of the local races here but I work many saturdays and my weekends can be unpredictable. I'll pay the extra $5 to avoid wasting $25 and sign up late.

Having been on a couple of race comittees I know that you will get the lion share of your runners in the last two weeks prior and upwards of another 20 - 30% possible on race day.

Resurrect this thread a week prior and let us know how your doing.

jojo61397

That's very true.  Every single person on the board has a child with autism or has autism themselves (I have a child and have aspergers).  Since the statistics are 1 in 88, everyone knows someone with autism, so many of our participants know someone.  And most of the families who have children on the spectrum will participate.  It's just the fact that I have so many people saying, "yeah, I'm going to run." But no one is signing up...  My husband is going to run the 10K, and he hasn't signed up yet either.  It makes this momma nervous.

I think the key to getting a big turn out for this type of event is to try and appeal to non-runners as well.  I already know about pretty much every race thats within 20 miles of me, even if its not well advertised.  Make sure you do not neglect the family/walkers/kids demographic...I think for the most part, they are the ones that make these races possible.

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

jojo61397

One other thing that's in our favor.  Our race is located in Fort Walton Beach, FL (so like 10-15 minutes from Destin) over spring break time.  The other races are in Crestview and Niceville.  I live in Niceville, and in order for people from FWB or Destin to get there you have to either drive 45 minutes OR you have to go over the Midbay Bridge (which is $6 round trip).  Crestview is 45 minutes north of Niceville, so all the people who live on the beach will have to drive 90 minutes to do that race.  Many runners live in Niceville, but the vast majority of military members live in Fort Walton Beach (cheaper) and Destin (on the beach).

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

Snowdenrun

I would run this race. It sounds like you've got it planned out very well and the race has benefits over the other nearby races. I wouldn't care too much about the pre and post race stuff but that's only because I'm an introvert. Smile The race is obviously geared well towards runners. But charity running events also attract a lot of walkers. I'd say spend some time trying to get walkers and families interested. Then the entrants who are there to run can be up front and run and still have a good race and you can get a good turn out. Sometimes things like this can be planned out to the T and still not have a great turnout just because people saw the other races first and signed up for those. Hope it works out!

You may find a lot of people wait until the last minute to sign up or just show up on race day. We got most of our entries (mtn bike race) during the last week. But, yea, if you've got established races you're competing with, you really need to have a reason for someone to do your race over the others. Or even to get volunteers, if they are racers.

On your website, have you made it clear that the goodies are all provided by sponsors? That's something I would have wondered about also - how much of expenses going for frills rather than the charity.

None of the items in your original list are things that attract me to a 10k (or probably any race). You mention about this being on a 5k course the runners are familiar with. Does this mean your 10k is 2 laps of a well-used 5k course? (that could be a detractant)

My criteria would be

1. Date - how it fits into training and rest of life schedule

2. Location - as in driving time and hassles

3. Course - scenic, challenging?

4. Loop or point-to-point

Once I've done a race and like the course, I'll be back, even if I have to struggle with my schedule at the time - esp. if it supports a cause I feel strongly about. In my case, it's usually trails, nature centers, etc. If running doesn't fit, I may try to volunteer, but sometimes that doesn't fit either.

Good luck! I know I've always worried about getting enough people to pay our minimal expenses.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      hectortrojan

I havent looked at all replies so this might be duplicate, but I would prefer free pick up of race package on the race day. I am sure that it would be a lot of work for organizer to do so just few hours before the race, but it is not possible for everyone to pick up the race package in given window and free pick up on the race day would be preferable

jojo61397

The courses are a strict out and back.  The 5K turns around at 1.55 miles, the 10K turns around at 3.1 miles.

You may find a lot of people wait until the last minute to sign up or just show up on race day. We got most of our entries (mtn bike race) during the last week. But, yea, if you've got established races you're competing with, you really need to have a reason for someone to do your race over the others. Or even to get volunteers, if they are racers.

On your website, have you made it clear that the goodies are all provided by sponsors? That's something I would have wondered about also - how much of expenses going for frills rather than the charity.

None of the items in your original list are things that attract me to a 10k (or probably any race). You mention about this being on a 5k course the runners are familiar with. Does this mean your 10k is 2 laps of a well-used 5k course? (that could be a detractant)

My criteria would be

1. Date - how it fits into training and rest of life schedule

2. Location - as in driving time and hassles

3. Course - scenic, challenging?

4. Loop or point-to-point

Once I've done a race and like the course, I'll be back, even if I have to struggle with my schedule at the time - esp. if it supports a cause I feel strongly about. In my case, it's usually trails, nature centers, etc. If running doesn't fit, I may try to volunteer, but sometimes that doesn't fit either.

Good luck! I know I've always worried about getting enough people to pay our minimal expenses.

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

jojo61397

There is race day packet pick up.

I havent looked at all replies so this might be duplicate, but I would prefer free pick up of race package on the race day. I am sure that it would be a lot of work for organizer to do so just few hours before the race, but it is not possible for everyone to pick up the race package in given window and free pick up on the race day would be preferable

Jodi

PR:

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub- 125 pounds

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Several of our local races are paired with a 1 mile kids' fun run, which happens just before the longer race.  That might make it more attractive for some families.  Maybe some of the autistic kids could participate.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How much is the discount for signing up ahead of time?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.