Glove/Mitten Recommendation for Cold Weather (20F and below) (Read 145 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I have gloves for 40F, gloves with windbreaker-mitten covers for 20F, mittens for 10F.

The trouble with the mittens is that there's no moisture relief.  I've cut holes in the windproofing layer at the center of my palms; considering cutting right through, to open air when my hand is unclenched.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I use cheap thin cloth gardening gloves from about 45 deg F down to about 15 deg F.  Below that, I start with pile lined leather gloves from the hardware store, then swap them for the cloth gloves after I warm up at mile 2 or 3.  The cloth gloves were not quite warm enough this morning at -23 deg F into a light headwind, so I put the leather gloves back on for a half mile or so.

My wrists get cold when it's below zero, so I put on wrist warmers.  I make them by cutting the toes out of an old pair of socks.  They jam tight between my jacket and gloves, so no cold air leaks through.

I just pull my sleeves down over my hands.  I always make sure my outer layer shirt is big enough to do this without constricting my movement

KCRuns

I'm also a female runner in Chicago.  I use the Mission lightweight performance gloves and they have been fantastic down to single digits.  I actually wore them last week for the F3 Half (feels like -8 at the start) and my hands were toasty warm.  If you also have sleeves with thumbholes, that can add an extra layer if you need it, which is also easy to remove if you get too warm.

robin from maine

Some time ago, I gave up on "running" gloves or mittens for truly cold temperatures (25F or below in my book).  I went to REI and bought a pair of snowboarding mittens.

Best decision ever.  I tuck hand warmers in them, and they've been fine down to 0 degrees F (that's the coldest I've ever run in).

Honestly, we don't really use our hands when we run, so I'm not sure why gloves are essential.

+1 for REI. i break out the mittens when temps are <5° and my hands are warm.

SMART Approach

I have gloves for 40F, gloves with windbreaker-mitten covers for 20F, mittens for 10F.

The trouble with the mittens is that there's no moisture relief.  I've cut holes in the windproofing layer at the center of my palms; considering cutting right through, to open air when my hand is unclenched.

Are you wearing the gloves with mitten covers over them? If you wear a thinner breathable pair of running gloves with some type of larger mitten on top you should be fine. I just wore a cheap pair of fleece mittens over my running gloves. The mittens  got moist with some feezing but that moisture neve penetrated to the inner layer even after 90 min outside. I ran like this Sat at -20 and my hands were only thing warm.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

asteiber

I have definitely learned the hard way that mittens are much more effective in extreme cold. I use Saucony brand. Here's post I wrote on this topic.

https://therealartofrunning.com/mittens-vs-gloves/

JeffWoodland

link spam
                  Wisteria

I wear fleece mittens from the dollar store.  They are perfectly fine and keep my hands toasty warm.  Agree that mittens are definitely warmer than gloves.