Tips to reduce injuries? Form drills? Cross training? (Read 190 times)

tugboat1980

Greetings! I'm new around here. 35-year-old male who, due to family duties and a long commute, only really have time to run on my lunch breaks (a longish weekend run notwithstanding). A couple years ago I was in a good groove running but ended up with a couple aromas of my right foot. I lost momentum running, gained weight, increased cholesterol, I was in general worstI lost momentum running, gained weight, increased cholesterol, I was in general worse health. Now I'm back running, lost weight, lowered my cholesterol but now Dr. Google says that I have an IT band injury. I rested it, ran a 5K this past weekend that I registered for couple months ago, and reinjured it.  Seeing that I have a limited time to exercise, what tips do you all have to possibly improve my form, cross train, and in general minimize injuries so I minimize injuries so I stay exercising? My shoes are stability shoes and only have 100 miles or so on them.

my main constraint is that I only have my lunch break to do it. 30-35 minutes of exercise before I have to shower and get back to work. No gym, weights, etc...

runmichigan

I would suggest two things:

(1) Get a foam roller and do regular rolling of all of your lower body muscles.  This can be done in front of the TV at night.

(2) Go to (back) to a running store (not a big box store or online store) and be properly fitted for shoes.  Be sure to let them know what your injuries have been.  Your current shoes may be the right shoes for you or they may not.

kilkee

runktrun

Appropriate shoes and foam rolling (or light stretching, massage, etc) are wise.

A strength training routine that focuses on stability as well as basic strength is key to avoiding imbalances that lead to injury.  Most overuse injuries are strictly from running too much, but from running too much with an underlying imbalance or weakness.  Glutes and pelvic girdle.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

tugboat1980

Funny enough I used to work at one of those running specialty stores, though I admit an unbiased observer is better than your own self many times. Back in college, and 50 pounds heavier, I ran in the brooks beast but my last trip back there (about 5 years ago or so) my old boss put me in a stability shoe (the Asics 2XXX series...whatever they were on back then) cause I was much lighter.  My last shoe was the Pearl Izumi  stability shoe (about the only option at the local specialty store in my little Podunk town) and I had no problems, especially with my neuromas so I got that shoe again. No neuroma problems but I have the hip/knee problem. I wonder if I should try some orthotic-ish insoles like superfeet of powerstep?

You mentioned strength exercises, I've thought about going back to Yoga once a week as well. That might help strength/balance/flexibility, especially in the hips and lower body.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

A couple years ago I was in a good groove running but ended up with a couple aromas of my right foot. 

I also have aromas of my feet after a good run. My husband always complains about them.

BimBamBooh

foam  roller is a great choice, massage and stretches are also helping a lot. Cross and core training will also reduse chances for injury.

PDoe

Try to figure out what you can do on a CONSISTENT basis and do it. Being cyclical will lead to injuries as you want to believe you can do more than you actually can do.

I've had both aromas and neuromas in my feet. While  the neuromas bother me more, the aromas bother my wife more.

Sorry, it's Sunday afternoon and I've completed my day's workouts and celebrated with a couple good beers. Had to laugh at Erica's comments.

p.s. Never found a shoe that eliminated neuroma problems. They came and went without noticed cause and effect. Stay away from thin soles though.

hectortrojan

You already got some good feedback here.

I am around you age too and I started running regularly a little over 3 years ago. Back then, I was doing more than my body could handle. I paid the price by injuring a foot. As soon as foot felt little better, I started running again before being 100% healthy. I did that for few months. Then I waited till foot felt good. Once foot felt good, I started with less running and increased it very slowly. Now whenever I feel something is coming, I take a day or two off and/or reduce running.

Doing a lot of easy runs is very important IMO. As other poster said, find how much running can your body handle and try to do it regularly. Do all your run at easy pace till you figure it out and feel comfortable doing it. Only after that think about adding either speed work or increasing running.

About shoes, I wear neutral running shoes. I have few different running shoes (from 0 mm to 10 mm heel to toe offset) and I rotate them. Doing this and going on trails in once in a while has helped strengthen my feet I think. It might be in my head, but my feet do not feel good even if I wear same dress shoes everyday for a lot of weeks in a row.

I feel your pain (literally). I have been an injury prone runner since I started about 4 years ago. I have recently started a strength program that focuses on the hips and core. Since starting it, I haven't even had a hint of an injury.

I do the following every Mon/Wed

http://strengthrunning.com/2012/01/the-standard-core-routine-video-demonstration

And the following every Tues/Thurs/Sat

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration

I do these whether I run or not, and it has helped tremendously.

The strength running website also has a lot of tools on injury prevention. In fact the entire website is geared towards, injury prone runners.

-Pain is temporary, internet results last forever!

http://www.runderfulmama.com

BrianRunner1234

I feel your pain (literally). I have been an injury prone runner since I started about 4 years ago. I have recently started a strength program that focuses on the hips and core. Since starting it, I haven't even had a hint of an injury.

I do the following every Mon/Wed

http://strengthrunning.com/2012/01/the-standard-core-routine-video-demonstration

And the following every Tues/Thurs/Sat

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration

I do these whether I run or not, and it has helped tremendously.

The strength running website also has a lot of tools on injury prevention. In fact the entire website is geared towards, injury prone runners.

This is helpful to me too!