Are you ready to give up some football? (Read 773 times)

yeah, it's just a game.  I get that and I agree.  but I was only talking about giving up my TV watching time.  Not life or death by any means. 

DoppleBock has suggested a possibly better league I could invest my time watching and it does interest me. 

The pass interference calls are the most arbitrary, sometimes they are calling phantom interference and other time obvious two handed push offs are not called. I have not watched any game past the half time, realize the result is going to be due to some blown call and there is no point to watching the game.

an amazing likeness

Regardless of which refs are in place, the NFL absolutely should drop the instant reply.  It has destroyed the flow of the game, and only came about due to TV having all the slo-mo replays and being able to give Al Michaels something to drone on about.  That, and it creates commercial breaks.

Make the call. What happened, happened. Coach and play through it.

I can't imagine watching a game on TV without DVR any more, given all the pauses for reviews -- I can't fathom what they are like these days live...must suck something fierce live.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

Oh yeah.  They are slow as hell live.  That said, during replay pauses, they show the replay in the stadium. So there's lots of hooting and hollering about that.  Better than the tv commercial pause between each and every possession or... worse... after a damn kickoff.  Zzzzzz.

All NFL teams seem to utilize the same playlist of songs they've been using for 10+ years.  In every stadium I've been to, it's the exact same songs.  For years and years in some cases.  (disclaimer: I haven't been to all stadiums. Hmmm, probably 8ish.  But even on TV, you can hear snippets of songs being played when they come back from commercial.  Same songs)

And live, you have to put up with the team mascots on ATVs and such.  Some are alright.  The Seahawk is pretty cool.  The Cowboys have this annoying little effer named Rowdy.  Gandhi would punch him.

But is all "frame of reference" I guess.  Ain't nothing slower than baseball.  Oh man.  And each player seems to have his own intro music, etc etc.

Prince of Fatness

The owners aren't going to give a shit until they take a hit to the wallet, and I don't see that as imminent.  They demonstrated that last year too when they locked out the players.  Since then I still watch, but not nearly as much.  I used to get the NFL Ticket on DirecTV and cancelled that, too.  Meaningless really, the owners will get their money.  It just won't be very much of mine.

Now just maybe, after reading this, if I were an owner (or misguidedly a replacement ref) I would hire extra security.  You never know if someone will be hiding just around the corner holding a baseball bat.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Wow, you can't really make this stuff up.  Give this link a couple of hours and the comments will be priceless.

On a semi serious note it's interesting that he seems more interested in fixing football than fixing my property taxes, which went up by over 15% this year.

Not at it at all. 

Seanv2

I could swear it off - except my wife is a huge fan of football (Not just packers) and if I want to spend some time with her on Sunday ~ I need to watch football and drink beer.

Funny role reversal ... 

DB you are a lucky man.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

Wow, you can't really make this stuff up.  Give this link a couple of hours and the comments will be priceless.

On a semi serious note it's interesting that he seems more interested in fixing football than fixing my property taxes, which went up by over 15% this year.

Any politician who thinks it worth their time to deal with this deserves whatever they get at the polls. 

And if re-elected, the majority of their constituents have no cause to complain about what they receive.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

I am a diehard Packer fan so those calls made me sick! If the Pack does not get a home playoff game (because of the call and wins/losses) it will cost the local economy here double what the refs are asking.  The ref who put his arms up for a TD was the same one calling the pass interference I believe. I found out he was not good enough to make it as a division 1 ref and has a history in high school and junior college. If they would have just conferenced at the end and made a call. Unfortunately, neither one was in the position they were suppose to be in on the play so there are so so many things wrong here.  They are not prepared, they don't know the rules, they are intimidated........Arrrgghhh!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Ria_runner

The NFL are the ones to blame, not the replacement refs. They are not qualified and were put in a position to fail...The NFL is a multi-million dollar enterprise.....And for what the refs are asking it would cost the owners about $100,000 each...Which is chump change for them...Pay the damn refs and stop this ridiculous product they are putting out there, and:

GO COWBOYS!!!!

Imminent Catastrophe

Meanwhile, the pilots for American Airlines (my airline for the last 15 years) have been calling in sick and writing up maintenance crap right at departure time on their flights to ensure the schedules are all effed up.  While we can hem and haw about shitty officiating, and it really is, I want to slap some pilots around more than I want to whine about football.  And, yes, the management of American Airlines.  It's the old maintenance-write-up-at-the-last-second ploy with is pissing me off.  If you wanna walk off, do it.  But don't do it like that.

That's what the AA mouthpiece would have you believe. The problems at AA are way deeper than just the pilots, the mechanics are just as pissed and this situation has been brewing for years under atrociously bad management. The front-line employees (pilots, flight attendants and mechanics) have been holding it together under bad circumstances.

And BTW, under the Railway Labor Act (which governs airlines) they are legally prohibited from walking off despite the fact that AA has unilaterally thrown out their contract and imposed draconian pay and benefit reductions. 

Threadjack over.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Doc, my tooth hurts

Lets face it, people aren't going to suddenly stop watching football because of this one call. Yeah it sucks that it happened and is a terrible call but the super bowl will probably set an all time ratings high for the 3rd year in a row.  

Lets face it, people aren't going to suddenly stop watching football because of this one call. Yeah it sucks that it happened and is a terrible call but the super bowl will probably set an all time ratings high for the 3rd year in a row.  

some people are resigned to feeling that way.  that's fine.

I know I used to watch probably 5 hours of football per week.

I'll switch to maybe 2.  It isn't just 1 call.  It's been dozens of calls and the significant slow-down of the games. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Exactly...If (it's always "If") the Pack played the 1st half like they did the 2nd then that last touchdown wouldn't have mattered. But the game winning touchdown call sure got a lot of attention.

GP-- 60 plays. 1 play lost the game? What happened the other 59 plays? Seattle had the same officials as GP.

PS: Atlanta 3-0. I am not mad at the refs!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/