What Range of Paces Do You Train At in a Normal Week? (Read 221 times)

Walk-Jogger

Simple questions, from a simple mind;

What are the fastest and slowest paces that you typically train at, in a normal week of running?

Also what is your favorite running speed? Not taking into consideration training effect or importance to your plan, but just pure and simple fun - what speed do you consider the most fun to run, for any distance of your choice, short or long?

Retired &  Loving It

Simple questions, from a simple mind;

What are the fastest and slowest paces that you typically train at, in a normal week of running?

Also what is your favorite running speed? Not taking into consideration training effect or importance to your plan, but just pure and simple fun - what speed do you consider the most fun to run, for any distance, short or long?

7:30 easy morning run

5:00 ish shorter intervals (like a 75 sec quarter)

Favorite - about 6mpm (the dreaded and controversial "moderate"!!!!). Not as fast as tempo, but still quick and always fun and not taxing.

And my range is pretty small...pretty sure I run most of my "easy" runs too fast.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

6:40-7 easy runs -- as slow as 7:30 on early AM recovery runs

tempo pace 5:30-6:00 depending on conditioning

4:40-5:20 interval paces, depending on the workout

If doing some accelerations, short sections sub-4.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

Most weeks I ptobably hit every pace between about 4:45 and 10:00. The lions share or that is easy mileage between 7 and 8 pace.

Favorite pace? Conversational I guess.

Runners run

warmup: usually 9 minute range

easy runs: 8 minute range

marathon pace right now is 7:20, so a more focused run will take me from there up through low-mid 6:00 range.

Favorite pace right now has to be the runs where I hang around marathon effort and get in that zone where it feels like the work is paying off.

MTA: You killed it on that marathon last July, Cecil. Congrats!

npaden

Just finished a 12 X 400m interval workout and hit 6:11 pace on one split.  Was actually shooting for 6:30 pace on them and averaged pretty close to that.  I'm sure I get down lower than that when doing strides, but I don't ever track them as a separate split so I'm not counting them.

Had one easy run this week that was at a 9:59 average pace for 3.27 miles.

Overall my average pace for the last 7 days is 8:47 and 37.6 miles logged.

Just ran a PR half marathon at a 7:54 pace a week and a half ago for perspective on my speed (or lack thereof).

As far as my favorite running speed, it depends on the mood that day.  Sometimes a mindless easy run is exactly what I need to just get lost in my thoughts.  Sometimes pushing the pace a little on a tempo run gets everything going.  Sometimes it is a moderate run that I'm just beginning to experiment with.  I don't think it is ever intervals, but I run them because they have a place in a good training program.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Easy runs 9:00 to 9:40, fully two minutes slower than my 10K race pace.  Today was unusual in that I did a tempo run at ~8:40.

Mmmmm...beer

Around 8 flat is pretty comfortable, that's where most of my easy runs end up.  I like getting into the 7's when I'm feeling good, makes me feel like I've accomplished something. lol

Since these last two weeks are my first ventures into speed work, I can't really say what I like best there, but both my  HM pace run and my 10x100m strides run were good.  Looking forward to my first MP run this weekend.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Walk-Jogger

warmup: usually 9 minute range

easy runs: 8 minute range

marathon pace right now is 7:20, so a more focused run will take me from there up through low-mid 6:00 range.

Favorite pace right now has to be the runs where I hang around marathon effort and get in that zone where it feels like the work is paying off.

MTA: You killed it on that marathon last July, Cecil. Congrats!

Thanks, Matt - I'm still recovering from paying for feeling that race, 4 months later.Black eye

Retired &  Loving It

xhristopher

Probably between 6:45 and 8:45. Unless I'm in a race or running an all too rare track workout or tempo that's my range for the week and I'll average just under 8. The most enjoyable pace is under 7:30 when I'm rested and just floating along. I think running a wide range of paces is good.

Why do you ask?

I see you're getting numbers, but I they lack context unless you look at what the poster races. One person's 7 is another's 9. Or 10. Age might also be a factor.

Aside from track work & trail, I hover @ 7:15-7:45. And that may be too fast. But, since I find myself there -- or think I do, w/out log examining -- I guess that's typical.

That's training runs. Sundays I run trails in a park. I guess it's training, but it's fun and we just do whatever: Mainly in the 10+ish range.

So, maybe, including short speed work, 4:20ish to 11ish, track to trail?

Favorite: All of them.

Walk-Jogger

Why do you ask?

I see you're getting numbers, but I they lack context unless you look at what the poster races. One person's 7 is another's 9. Or 10. Age might also be a factor.

Aside from track work & trail, I hover @ 7:15-7:45. And that may be too fast. But, since I find myself there -- or think I do, w/out log examining -- I guess that's typical.

That's training runs. Sundays I run trails in a park. I guess it's training, but it's fun and we just do whatever: Mainly in the 10+ish range.

So, maybe, including short speed work, 4:20ish to 11ish, track to trail?

Favorite: All of them.

I ask just out of general curiosity. I have no real ulterior motive here, not that I'll admit to anyway .  I do think it could be useful information to the general readership here to see this part of the picture for a broad swathe of runners, however. A lack of context didn't occur to me, but then again I peep at everyone's logs and PRs if they're open to the public.

Retired &  Loving It

I'm 49. Tonight I ran 11.3 at an 8.30 pace. Pretty easy the whole way. The first 3 were  about 8:50 (takes me a mile or so to warm up) but miles 2-8 were about 8.05 to 8:10 and that is where I love to run. Pretty close to marathon pace but it seemed almost effortless. But for early am runs I'm lucky to get 9:30. So excluding workouts, I'm between 8.00 and 9.30 generally. if it helps my 5k pace is about 6:15.

xhristopher

I ask just out of general curiosity. I have no real ulterior motive here, not that I'll admit to anyway .  I do think it could be useful information to the general readership here to see this part of the picture for a broad swathe of runners, however. A lack of context didn't occur to me, but then again I peep at everyone's logs and PRs if they're open to the public.

Since you started the topic… what I've gathered from brief peeks at your log is that you don't have a wide range. You seem to run them all hard or really hard. It's difficult to argue with success as you usually kill your age group. 

I recall us giving you some grief for "racing" so many of your half marathon workouts, which weren't too much slower than your races. (The fastest half I've ever run in training is a full 6 minutes lower than my PR… 95% of the time I'm 10-15 minutes slower than my half PR for 13 mile runs.)

When I said I believe it's ok to run your easy days easy I believe it. Every run has a purpose and it shouldn't be the same purpose every run. Chew on that.

Walk-Jogger

When I said I believe it's ok to run your easy days easy I believe it. Every run has a purpose and it shouldn't be the same purpose every run. Chew on that.

That's a point that I get hung up on a lot - I believe in synergy, killing two birds with one stone, and I think one run can have more than one purpose But that may be a good topic for a different thread of it's own. My own weekly training paces are usually in the range of 4:30 to 8:00 mpm, unless I'm running with a group or with my woman who runs a bit slower. My favorite running speed is 200 meters at 36-38 seconds or so, so around a 5:00 pace, because I like to run fast and smooth and it feels most natural to me. It horrifies me to realize that top marathoners are running my 200 meter training pace for 26.2 miles. I have to push that thought out of my head or else I'd  feel like giving up  running all together.

Retired &  Loving It