calling all catladies and catmen: cat pees right next to food bowls, refuses to use litterbox... (Read 177 times)

Kittyface

Tragic hip

When my cat decided she wanted to poop next to the box instead of in it I surrounded it with newspaper. Now she poops on the paper, I throw it away and put down new paper. Much easier cleanup actually.

ETA:And Paulski Angry

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cats are cheap. Hell, often they're even free.

Throw away your defective cat, and get a new one, preferably one that works properly.

You're welcome.

I'm sure you're defective in some way, as well (if not now, give it a decade or two).  Should go both ways, doncha think...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm sure you're defective in some way, as well (if not now, give it a decade or two).  Should go both ways, doncha think...?

Yeah, my cat is like "dude, these people suck, why can I not throw them in the bin and get some new ones?"

Anyway - thanks, all, for your kind advice and support/funny cat stories. The update is that the new litterbox in the Pee Corner seems to have done the trick. And I think it's a great idea to get another new litterbox, as the old one is a few years old and bound to stink a bit even after cleaning.

This cat has a history of inappropriate peeing and pooping when stressed, so I really think it's that, not a urinary tract problem. But if she starts refusing to use the new litterbox I will definitely take her to the vet and have it checked out. She doesn't have any other symptoms I'd normally associate with uti's in cats - no bloody/cloudy pee or painful urination. However she may well benefit from kitty prozac. We had that once before, when she was at her worst with the skin problems, and it did chill her out, but maybe a little too much. She used to fall asleep with her face in the food bowl every night.

NHLA

Has the cat been de-clawed?  Their feet will hurt when they get old so they will not go in box.

If its a UTI you should see a trace of blood in pee.

Yeah, my cat is like "dude, these people suck, why can I not throw them in the bin and get some new ones?"

Anyway - thanks, all, for your kind advice and support/funny cat stories. The update is that the new litterbox in the Pee Corner seems to have done the trick. And I think it's a great idea to get another new litterbox, as the old one is a few years old and bound to stink a bit even after cleaning.

This cat has a history of inappropriate peeing and pooping when stressed, so I really think it's that, not a urinary tract problem. But if she starts refusing to use the new litterbox I will definitely take her to the vet and have it checked out. She doesn't have any other symptoms I'd normally associate with uti's in cats - no bloody/cloudy pee or painful urination. However she may well benefit from kitty prozac. We had that once before, when she was at her worst with the skin problems, and it did chill her out, but maybe a little too much. She used to fall asleep with her face in the food bowl every night.

Nah, that's just advance planning. When she wakes up, breakfast is seved immediately!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

When my cat decided she wanted to poop next to the box instead of in it I surrounded it with newspaper. Now she poops on the paper, I throw it away and put down new paper. Much easier cleanup actually.

ETA:And Paulski Angry

+1.Our cat stop using his litter box for about 3 weeks. He goes outside. I am an early riser. It is almost like having a dog! He is back to using the box. Guessing he adjusted  to the unscented litter.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

keeponrunning

Glad you managed to solve it!  What you may be able to do is slowly drag the litter box back towards the other ones.  I did that when one of my current cats was not 'potty-trained' when I got her and would poop under the bed (yes, that was nasty).

Now, if I could only get her trained to not puke on the new carpet Roll eyes.  Two nights ago she was purring whilst laying across my chest in bed.  She started upheaving so I quickly redirected her front end off the edge of the bed.  Due to that, the puke splattered in a two-foot wide circle on my new (light-coloured) carpet.  Thank goodness for enzyme-based pet spray!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

paulski66

miscreant

Please. Try to take the long view, yo...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

#artbydmcbride

...  She started upheaving so I quickly redirected her front end off the edge of the bed.  Due to that, the puke splattered in a two-foot wide circle on my new (light-coloured) carpet.  ...!

Having a copy of Runner's World handy to slide under their chin works better!    Cool

Paulski66,   LOL!

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Glad you managed to solve it!  What you may be able to do is slowly drag the litter box back towards the other ones.  I did that when one of my current cats was not 'potty-trained' when I got her and would poop under the bed (yes, that was nasty).

Now, if I could only get her trained to not puke on the new carpet Roll eyes.  Two nights ago she was purring whilst laying across my chest in bed.  She started upheaving so I quickly redirected her front end off the edge of the bed.  Due to that, the puke splattered in a two-foot wide circle on my new (light-coloured) carpet.  Thank goodness for enzyme-based pet spray!

Best invention in Human history is the Bissell SpotBot.  No joke.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Harriet, I happened upon this suggestion in a review of the Feliway gizmo on Amazon.  One person said to put aluminum foil where you don't want your cat to pee.  You could put a sheet under the food and water bowls.

Our cat pees in the bathroom sinks.  Could be worse, I guess.

CSP

Some ideas:

Use the Cat Attract cat litter (had a cat who loved it so much he started sleeping in the box--clean or not.)

Add more boxes--try different litter textures in each.  You can even layer litters to put the most preferable texture on top.

If you have a long hair cat, trim some of the hair on their backside and back of back legs to prevent any litter from sticking.

Get a urine analysis to make sure the cat isn't in pain when using the box

Try a box with lower sides--easier access if the cat has any arthritis

Good luck.

JHU3331

I'm sorry for bumping this old thread, but I really feel like I have some advice to offer you - and you seemed to really need it at the time.....

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore Smile

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out: nomorecatpee.com

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Cheers!