Snow Blows…aka "why I've done the vast majority of '14s runs on the dreadmill" (Read 337 times)

CT JEFF

Today at BJ's saw boxes of Tumbleweed fire starters. $8 for 32 little balls. Only slightly larger than cotton balls.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So much for Muskegon's seasonal average of 96".  We still easily have 2 more months of snow on the way.  It's getting really tough to run outdoors.  There is NO shoulder and snowbanks on corners are easily 6' high.  Kinda scary driving in my tiny car when I really can't see cross-traffic.  I've done quite a few pull-outs from stop signs with my fingers crossed that no one is coming.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I don't mind the snow so much.  I just am a "little" averse to the cold.

With that in mind, my "long" run this weekend will be 12 on the dreadmill.  Looking for a movie to watch while I pound out 2 hours.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

One of my non-Toronto Canadian friends posted this link to Facebook yesterday.

Apparently, they're also complaining in Canada.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dang, that's a major shit-ton of snow!!!  Here's a shot taken not far from me:

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Da Yoopers still rock!!

~ Sarah Kay

HCH

That's crazy. Is it even worse on the UP (it often is)? I'll stop whining about the 50" of snow we have out there.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

Feeling the growl again

That's crazy. Is it even worse on the UP (it often is)? I'll stop whining about the 50" of snow we have out there.

Areas of the UP have almost 4X as much snow.  Drifting is deceiving.  Fortunately, most of the areas in the UP getting 200+ inches of snow are hilly/tree-covered and not prone to drifting.  Without drifting, the weight of snow will keep compacting it and the depth seems to kind of stop at around 4-5 feet and just compacts after that.

I've got a spot in my driveway that has drifted 6 feet deep off 6 inches of snow if the wind direction is right.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A buddy of mine today:

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

WOW!

Nice plowing job. They must have some pretty tall plows.

Here in Atlanta it took 1-2 inches to paralyze the metro.

Zoomy,

Be careful out there.

Check out this running in snow video.f

(MTA: if you find the video boring, I bet you haven't watched the entire interview)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

WOW!

Nice plowing job. They must have some pretty tall plows.

Here in Atlanta it took 1-2 inches to paralyze the metro.

I would hazard a guess it was a Sno-Go and not a plow; you'd never push that with a plow.  Here is a Sno-Go in action where I went to college.  IIRC the bank of augers on front that took in the snow was 5-6 feet tall on some of them.  They could blow the snow 100+ft away from the road.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

D'oh…California kids clearly don't understand that the shiny stuff is ice and we run against traffic.  Derp.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would hazard a guess it was a Sno-Go and not a plow; you'd never push that with a plow.  Here is a Sno-Go in action where I went to college.  IIRC the bank of augers on front that took in the snow was 5-6 feet tall on some of them.  They could blow the snow 100+ft away from the road.

Yeah, I don't think it's a plow.  I know they've been using a variety of snow-removal machines in different areas.  Our plows have had a rough time with some of our storms.  During a few of them, counties were pulling their plows when the snow was coming down too fast to keep up.

~ Sarah Kay