Running during a heat wave (Read 611 times)

this morning only 70 F along the lake front. felt amazing compared to this past weekend

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

90 + 73 in PA.  Going out around 5:00.  Hazy cloud cover.  Not sure if this will help, or confuse my poor body even more...but I don't want to swim...

Back to full sun.

Opposite at 0445 this am. 77 degrees and 85%. (but the same misery index?) throw in some 1,000 repeats and hills. good times.

Get off my porch

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

humidity ≠ dew point

I'm not well-versed on these. I read online that humidity below 65% means it feels comfortable. It is below 65% right here right now, and it does feel pretty good. (Well, it feels good standing outside; it's not comfortable riding around in my car because my AC doesn't work.)

Our temp + DP is 160 something.  I guess that means we'll be sweating when we're running in it, then?

(For me personally it is the direct sunlight that I can tell affects me.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Best Present Ever

You're confusing dew point and relative humidity.  The relative humidity is low because it's so freaking hot, but the dew point is still high -- there is still a lot of water in the air -- and it feels miserable.  Here in Charlottesville, the air temp is 95, relative humidity is 45, but the dew point is 71.  Which is unhappy.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

I'm not well-versed on these. I read online that humidity below 65% means it feels comfortable. It is below 65% right here right now, and it does feel pretty good. (Well, it feels good standing outside; it's not comfortable riding around in my car because my AC doesn't work.)

Our temp + DP is 160 something.  I guess that means we'll be sweating when we're running in it, then?

Prince of Fatness

Dew point is a measure of how much moisture is in the air.

Relative humidity is the percentage of moisture relative to the air's saturation point.

Dew point cannot be greater than actual temperature because that would mean that the relative humidity would be greater than 100%.  Not possible.

The key in all of this is that the air can hold more moisture at a higher temperature.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right.

The dew point is the temperature at which moisture comes out of vapor and precipitates. When the temperature is the same as the dew point, either fog forms or it begins to rain. The higher the air temperature, the more moisture the air can hold (just like the higher the water temperature, the more of a dissolved solid it can hold).

So a dew point of 70 means that when the temperature hits 70 degrees, the moisture starts coming out of the air.

A dew point of 50 means there is less moisture in the air, and so the temperature has to drop a lot lower for precipitation to happen.

The key in all of this is that the air can hold more moisture at a higher temperature.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Our humidity is below 65%, and our dewpoint is below 80, and our temperature is in the 90s, and it is pouring.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...and it is pouring.

No it isn't; look again.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Temperature / dewpoint.  When the lines are really close together, it's really humid.

Yeah, 6 - 7 am was when I ran this morning.  Temp below 70 is nice, but I still sweated a lot.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

FTFY

Temperature / dewpoint.  When the lines are really close together, it feels really humid.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In this case, the rain is falling from somewhere far up above where the dew point = the temperature.

Our humidity is below 65%, and our dewpoint is below 80, and our temperature is in the 90s, and it is pouring.

Prince of Fatness

In this case, the rain is falling from somewhere far up above where the dew point = the temperature.

+1

Today was an example of the sun really adding to the suckage factor. 89 + 65 = 154. Bad but not horrible considering dew point is down close to 10 degrees from yesterday. But there was not a cloud in the sky and I had roughly 25% shade on the route. It sucked.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

165 when I ran today.

You know, it ain't the heat so much as the humidity.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You know what else feels good? When the sprinklers on the field come on and they hit the track, and you run back & forth on the straightaway waiting for the sprinklers to come around again. I enjoyed that, this afternoon.