Running during a heat wave (Read 611 times)

Christirei

Since I run early in the morning I run through a very wealthy neighborhood close to me because it is "safer" than my area. What I love about this neighborhood is that everyone waters their lawns all summer long! Sometimes I probably look like a scared rabbit crisscrossing the street over and over, but really I'm just aiming for all the sprinklers!

Marylander

I think my older brother probably tortured me in some way as a child using a sprinkler or something (doing things like that to me was his main hobby) as I hate being sprayed by sprinklers and stuff. I'll be out on a run really suffering from the heat and will actually run around any sprinklers I come across so they don't get me. It's irrational but I can't make myself run through them. Wink

I can't make myself run through them. Wink

Fair amount of sprinklers around here use sulphur water, pretty strong incentive to move to the opposite side of the road. temps actually down a little this morning, still humid/muggy/sticky/suckage.

Get off my porch

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I realize it would probably be too burdensome to carry clean water with you, to feed into the other end of sprinklers, but, what if you carried some inline filtration systems that you could hook up to the hoses feeding the sprinkler systems that you encounter?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Art in AZ

The sprinkler systems around here have everything underground except when the sprinklers pop up. Water felt good sine it was 92 + 66=158 during my 6 mile run this morning. Though we are supposed to have rain and cooler temps this weekend.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

endlessrun

I've never associated the heat of summer with "misery".  It's the time of year I look forward to all year and it comes and goes so fast.  I can't get enough heat.  Last year, was the hottest summer ever here in NJ and I ran everyday, only cutting my run short once due to heat.  Of course, that's me and doesn't help the OP.

I'd suggest wearing sunblocker if it's sunny, not just to protect from sunburn but it keeps the skin cooler.  In blistering sun, wear a loose, long-sleeved shirt.  Instead of a hat, which makes it harder to dissipate heat, pour a little water on the head once in a while.  If you're properly hydrated, you'll sweat plenty and that wetness will keep you cool.  Sure works for me, anyway.  Lastly, do trail running if you can.  It's easier on the feet and the shady trees keep it cooler (although the humidity from the plants is higher).

BTW, I've found it takes a lot more than a few days to acclimate to extreme heat, more like a few weeks.  Even then, doesn't mean a 90-degree run is going to be easy, just means you won't faint, lol.

247 viz

Be careful outside.

Be visible with Nathan vests.

Prince of Fatness

88 + 75 = 163

Brutal. And the sun wasn't even out.

I'm thinking that the dew point was higher than that where I am because it poured late this morning.  It was like my whole body couldn't breathe. Might have been the worst one this season. Could only muster 5 miles.

Not at it at all. 

not lazy, just tired

83° + 79° dew point = 162, sunny.  Not nice. Can't wait for fall. Only did 4.3 very slow miles. Can't wait until fall.

Not if it makes sense.

not lazy, just tired

Did I mention that I can't wail 'til fall?

Not if it makes sense.

Did I mention that I can't wail 'til fall?

and the turbo effect for that fall marathon.

Get off my porch

BeeRunB

Using a  heart rate monitor and running the same zone as you would in cool weather will slow you down the proper amount. Summer is a great time to overtrain because the stress on the body is so much more. Just going from 70º to 80+º  at the same heart rate can slow you 10% and more depending on your fitness and body fat%. Up in the 90º''s it can slow you down to a crawl. To keep improving in speed at the same aerobic heart rate (and you want to keep improving your aerobic speed),  cutting volume might be necessary. Good luck! 

I am in the midwest and smack dab in the middle of a heat wave. It's miserable out. i have been running for a while, so I tend to follow the just slow down rule when it gets this hot in July. My question is that my hubby has been traveling a lot this summer so I have been doing one week of running on a treadmill all week then doing a long run over the weekend and feeling terrible, then running outside for a week and doing a long run on the weekend and feeling okay, and then promptly go back to running indoors again. I can definitely tell that I am not acclimating to the heat at all. This was another indoor running week for me and this weekend is supposed to be a ten mile run. It's going to be 100 degrees on Friday and  100 degrees on Saturday, so probably high 70's or close to 80 when I head out in the early morning. I'm already dreading it. running long in that kind of weather does not appeal. Any thoughts? I am considering just running indoors but wouldn't go for the full length....I have a treadmill problem. I can run about an hour max and then just. have. to. get. off.

I already take lots of water and hydrate during the week and all of that, just wondering if anyone out there thinks it is even worth it. I am early in my training for a fall half, so i'm not super motivated to hit the mileage for the weekend anyway

Prince of Fatness

88 + 75 = 163

Brutal. And the sun wasn't even out.

Oh, today was much better. 90 + 75 = 165 and sunnier. WTF?

Not at it at all. 

kilkee

runktrun

93 + 77 = 170 and I didn't think it was that bad...which is pretty messed up.

(Pennsylvania)

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

70F this morning is really mild.  97% RH is not.