34th Annual Sgt. Preston New Year's Day "6 Mile"/5k (Read 708 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ETA: I KNEW IT!!! The Garmin doesn't lie! Wink This e-mail just arrived: Hi Kirsten, The 6 Mile course had a problem. After many 6 mile runners told us it was short we found where a volunteer erroneously directed runners to turn around at the ranger station on Scenic Drive rather than directing them through to the actual turn around point. This resulted in a reduced overall distance for the 6 Mile race to 5.45 miles. Since all participants ran the same shortened course the places earned are valid but with a shorter distance than advertised. We will make every effort to make sure this doesn't happen in the future and the 6 Mile course will return as advertised. The current results posted at www.RunnersEdgeRaceTiming.com reflect the corrected distance and gives an accurate pace per mile. The Race Director and Committee of the Sgt Preston Run would like to apologize for this error and sincerely hope to see you again next year. Thank you, Derek Bailey Runner's Edge Race Timing Sgt Preston Run Committee Member ~~~~~ Official finish 56:03...one second slower than Garmin--god, I LOVE that gadget! Big grin This was my first year running this event...I ran the "6 miler" (in quotes, because my Garmin and other folks' read 5.45 miles at the finish and the 5 mile marker was at about 4.5 miles--someone goofed somewhere, but no biggie). Last year I had considered it, but as we were 90 minutes away at backroadrunner's place for our NYE celebration I decided to hold off. After only 5 hours of sleep (bad roads had us home just after 2am, I was asleep by 3, then back out of bed at 8) I awoke, showered to get styling products out of my hair and makeup off of my face, ate breakfast, enjoyed my coffee, and we left around 9:30 to make sure we got parking. I think only 1 more car got into the lot after us, then everyone else had to drive a ways to find overflow parking. Race started at 11:15, since there were so many folks still trying to register last minute. The race director is an awesome guy who owns a little running store near us. He also organizes tons of trail runs, as well as my very favorite PR'd HM in '07. Over a loudspeaker at the start he said this year had record # of registrants...I couldn't hear, but DH said he thought it was just shy of 400. Nice crowd. I found my friend just before the finish. I had thought maybe she bailed, as I didn't see her name on the list of registrants yesterday, but apparently she waited until this AM to register. Could have used YakTrax or my NB 921 spiked Winter shoes (which I purchased in large part for this race...hrm). Roll eyes Undecided Snowy footing for a mile or two, some slippery slush coat after that, plus bitter, biting winds (30mph gusts were predicted) along Lake MI and abrasive snow (my corneas feel sort of exfoliated, as does the rest of my face--should have worn sunglasses). I ran most of the last couple of miles with an older guy that I recognized from a local 15k this past Summer. Very nice guy. We chatted a bit and he informed me that there are "masters" division track meets that might start at 35 for women...hmmm...and I turn 35 in Feb. Perhaps my sprinting days aren't yet over! Wink I lost him right before the last killer hill: Still a nice event. Next year I will have more appropriate footwear or the weather will be nicer. About half the field had traction devices on their shoes...lots of people passed me along first 1.5 miles of snow, including my friend who normally finishes a bit behind me. My time was pretty slow (I think my average pace was 10:18), but under the conditions and on only 5 hours of sleep with less-than-perfect recent training I'm not too upset. It's still a good way to get a jump on the Pace Bunny to start the year. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's starting the year off right, WTG Zoomie! I thought my time today was a little too fast for my pace, so I asked a woman if she thought the course might have been a bit short. She checked her Garmin and said no, it actually read 5.06 miles. Them Garminses is handy things.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice way to start the year, Zoomie! (*and UGH about the shoes, any word?)
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice way to start the year, Zoomie! (*and UGH about the shoes, any word?)
          Thanks! Yeah, NB originally wanted for me to send them back so that their quality control peeps could take a look at them, then they'd either repair or replace, which normally takes 2-3 weeks. I was pretty much "no f'in way on that, man." I've already battled to have a usable pair of those bastards for nearly 2 months and run for 3-4 weeks on Wintery roads in shoes that have minimal tread and very thin, breathable uppers (awesome on dry roads and in warmer temps, but crummy this time of the year). So they are going to send me a new pair and I'll still return my problematic ones for them to look at. As it should be. Those shoes would have been SO useful today. I'm betting I could have run that 5.45 in closer to 50 minutes with those on. k

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Nice job Kirsten on your first race of the new New Year! Tough race. It was much colder than the temp let on and windy on our side of the state this morning too. Altered run route in fact as I had planned an extra 2 miles what would have been into the wind, but as you so aptly described, it was just biting. Congrats and nice start to '08! Hope to see you in GR this year along with Q. Big grin

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Imminent Catastrophe

Congrats zoom. Obviously it didn't take you too long to figure out your new toy Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hope to see you in GR this year along with Q. Big grin
                Definitely! I am so glad that there will be RA folks there. Because the race date was moved up a week I most likely won't have did there, as he will be in Death Valley doing a big JDRF benefit bike trek. It used to be that the GRM was the week after. Poo. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Congrats zoom. Obviously it didn't take you too long to figure out your new toy Big grin
                  Not at all! Amazing how intuitive that thing is. Though I didn't pay much attention to pace while I was running, just doing what I could without being in pain. Was interesting to see the screw-up in the mile markers near the end, though. When I saw 5 I was all "damn, I really rocked that last mile...how is that possible?" Then I looked at the distance on my Garmin and realized that something was goofy in the measurement. k

~ Sarah Kay

Nice start to the New Year, Zoomy! Congrats!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Okay Kristen - I was there too and ran the 5K!! We are going to have to figure out a way to meet at the next local race. I ran with yaktraks and was happy I had them on. Good job on only 5 hours sleep!! Looks like we run about the same pace . . . . I received an e-mail today from the race director giving placment, pace, etc. I thought that was a really nice touch. Nice JOB!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Okay Kristen - I was there too and ran the 5K!! We are going to have to figure out a way to meet at the next local race. I ran with yaktraks and was happy I had them on. Good job on only 5 hours sleep!! Looks like we run about the same pace . . . . I received an e-mail today from the race director giving placment, pace, etc. I thought that was a really nice touch. Nice JOB!! ~Mary
                        Mary, we have run several races together, I noticed in your intro. on the Michigander's board. We definitely have to start meeting up for these! Big grin Yeah, Matt and the Endurance Sports folks really put on great races. My favorite was the OBB Oktoberfest HM in Spring Lake...absolutely perfect race! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice job, zz! Amazing how you could keep your heart rate so steady and low throughout the race. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice job, zz! Amazing how you could keep your heart rate so steady and low throughout the race. Tongue
                            Ha! Wink That was weird...a few minutes before the start my Garmin prompted me for some HRM function. I have never used mine, so I pushed yes to make the screen go away. I'm guessing that someone very near me had their HRM strap on and it activated my Garmin. k

~ Sarah Kay