Need Help Making a Winter Training Plan (Read 76 times)

SamStevo

I finished my Junior (HS) XC season running 18:55 on october 21st and I've been training pretty hard doing 40 mi last week and a little less than 50mi this week. On nov.18 I feel confident shooting for 18:35 in a 5k race I have, and on Nov.26 I feel confident shooting for 1:35:XX for half marathon (super hilly course). If I'm in in 18:35 5k shape and I would like to run the 1600m and 3200m as my main events this outdoor track season what should my training plan for this off-season look like? My goals are sub-5 in the 1600m, and right now I don't have a super ambitious goal for the 3200 (because in the past I've rarely run it) but going sub-11 and continuing to drop my time from there is the base goal. I want to improve my fitness without losing any fitness at any point, but I also plan to take a full week off after my half marathon to rest my legs (XC season started aug.21 and I've been training since). Can anybody give me specifics on what I need for a training schedule? More break? Less break? how much running? what workouts? If you could design me a training plan that would be awesome. couple PRs listed below to help

100m: ran 12.4 in last rep of workout of 6x100m (after 4x400m)

400m: 60.8 in a 4x4

1600m: 5:19

5000m: 18:55 (shooting for 18:35 next week)

Let me know if you need any other info to better your ability to help

paul2432

The most important question is, “what does your coach recommend?”.  He or she is in much better position than us to make a recommendation.

How many weeks is your off-season?

SamStevo

The most important question is, “what does your coach recommend?”.  He or she is in much better position than us to make a recommendation.

How many weeks is your off-season?

my off season is 13 weeks, from the week right after my half to the week before track season. I asked my coach and he gave this rough outline without too much detail yet, but I feel like it's not not enough and not specific to my off season goals, even though I explained them to him

week 1-2: no running at all

week 3-4: 3 days of running

week 5-6: 4 days of running

week 7-11: 5 days of running, 2 workouts a week here, idk about other weeks

week 12: 4 days running

week 13: 3 days running

track week 1 (wk 14)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Two thoughts:

1) 1:35 is a very soft target given an 18:35 5k, even given a hilly course. Not that you've run that yet, but 18:55 5k XC surely suggests closer to 1:32 for a hilly half, even given your likely speed vs endurance dominance considering your age.  If you do make that 18:35 5k, I can't imagine you wouldn't run 1:30 unless the course was a technical trail race or gained 1000'.

2) I find your coach's specs odd, in that mpw should be (I think) more important to specify than dpw.

I'd take at least a week off of running after the half, maybe two as per your coach, but continue to do some sort of exercise.  After that, I think you should try to maintain ~75% of your average in-season mpw as easy running plus strides and hill sprints.  I wouldn't do any formal speedwork during the offseason, but if you feel like pushing tempo-hard for an occasional session, go ahead.  The point is to have an OFF season, not to continue to train.

If you live in a place where you can do an alternate exercise during the winter, I encourage you to do so in addition to or as replacement for some of your running.  Cross-country skiing is super excellent, as is biking (particularly mountain biking which works your balance and upper body).

SamStevo

Two thoughts:

1) 1:35 is a very soft target given an 18:35 5k, even given a hilly course. Not that you've run that yet, but 18:55 5k XC surely suggests closer to 1:32 for a hilly half, even given your likely speed vs endurance dominance considering your age.  If you do make that 18:35 5k, I can't imagine you wouldn't run 1:30 unless the course was a technical trail race or gained 1000'.

2) I find your coach's specs odd, in that mpw should be (I think) more important to specify than dpw.

I'd take at least a week off of running after the half, maybe two as per your coach, but continue to do some sort of exercise.  After that, I think you should try to maintain ~75% of your average in-season mpw as easy running plus strides and hill sprints.  I wouldn't do any formal speedwork during the offseason, but if you feel like pushing tempo-hard for an occasional session, go ahead.  The point is to have an OFF season, not to continue to train.

If you live in a place where you can do an alternate exercise during the winter, I encourage you to do so in addition to or as replacement for some of your running.  Cross-country skiing is super excellent, as is biking (particularly mountain biking which works your balance and upper body).

Thank you for the advice. Any tips on how I should go about increasing mileage throughout the winter? stay at 75% of in season all winter from week 2 (week after break) until week 13 (week before track)? or start from a % of my mpw in season and increase to another, higher % of my mpw in season by the end?

paul2432

Your coach, quite reasonably, is being conservative.  Long term improvement in running requires consistency over months and years.  If you get hurt burn out over the winter that doesn't do you or your coach any good.  He probably also knows you'll do more than what he told you, so perhaps told you less than what he really thinks you should do.

Whatever plan you ultimately decide upon, remaining flexible is important.  You may feel great after the HM or you may feel terrible.  Similarly, you may respond well to higher mileage or you may not.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I would only gradually build back to the 75% figure after your time off.  Looking at your coach's schedule, I'd aim to hit that around week 7.

And as Paul said, remaining flexible is important.  The worst thing you can do is to latch onto a number (like 75%!) and stick to it without considering your body.