Some basic analysis of runners who have qualified for Boston (Read 311 times)

Seanv2

So a bunch of years ago, I asked a number of running ahead users to answer some questions about how they qualified for the Boston Marathon. Since then, over 100 runners have answered those same questions. Finally (with the help of a very smart RAer) I put this information into a spreadsheet and did some basic analysis of it. You can see my analysis here. I think its interesting, maybe you will too.

Huge thanks to all of you who have taken part. If anyone else is interested, you can fill out an online form here. 

I also dug a little deeper in a separate post into which programs people usedwhat type of speed work and what type of crosstraining respondents did.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Very cool.  It looks like a great project.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Dream Maker

Cool. I answered.

I'm slow as fckall these days, so it's fun to answer questions about qualifying for Boston because it happened and can't be taken away by my current embarrassing exploits. Big grin

Though I'm sure it would happen again if I could get my weight down to where it was. I love running.

I hate dieting.

Seanv2

Cool. I answered.

I'm slow as fckall these days, so it's fun to answer questions about qualifying for Boston because it happened and can't be taken away by my current embarrassing exploits. Big grin

Though I'm sure it would happen again if I could get my weight down to where it was. I love running.

I hate dieting.

Great, thanks for answering! Over the last 24 hours I've gotten almost thirty reponses. I try to post two a day so it migh be a minute before yours goes up. Looking forward to sharing your story!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

GinnyinPA

I'm curious about age as well in your survey.  I started running in my mid-50s and it is possible I will be able to qualify for Boston soon - but only because of age grading.  (Women 60-64 BQ time is 4:25 and last year I ran 4:21.  If I can do it again this year, I'll qualify for 2017.) How many of your respondents were older runners?

mikeymike

I'm curious about age as well in your survey.  I started running in my mid-50s and it is possible I will be able to qualify for Boston soon - but only because of age grading.  (Women 60-64 BQ time is 4:25 and last year I ran 4:21.  If I can do it again this year, I'll qualify for 2017.) How many of your respondents were older runners?

When I clicked the link and looked at the spreadsheet it told me the average age at BQ of the 125 people who responded was 36.3 years with a high of 61 and a low of 18.

Runners run

Seanv2

When I clicked the link and looked at the spreadsheet it told me the average age at BQ of the 125 people who responded was 36.3 years with a high of 61 and a low of 18.

That's right, but the respondents definitely skew young, much younger than BQ runners in general. Also worth noting that I asked people about their first BQs so someone may have BQed for the first time at 18, but then did so throughout his or her life. If you look here you can see all the respondents organized by age. So far, there are no women 60-64, I'd love to add your story!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

No more marathons

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Ron # 87 ---mile repeats

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JanaLamb

Hey, if you meet the performance standards, does that mean you're qualified for the race already? Or that only means you can apply?

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

beat

Break on through

Hey, if you meet the performance standards, does that mean you're qualified for the race already? Or that only means you can apply?

It means you would be qualified. But being qualified doesn't necessarily mean you would get into the race.  Those who beat the standards by a bigger margin have an advantage over those who just barely meet the standard.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Seanv2

It means you would be qualified. But being qualified doesn't necessarily mean you would get into the race.  Those who beat the standards by a bigger margin have an advantage over those who just barely meet the standard.

Beats is right. For the purposes of this survey, I only care if you met the standard, not if you got in or ran it.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com