Morgan Roadster

Ex runner

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

Corvette ZR1. Smile

BIS

High Horse

Lot's of badass rides here. Cool

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

Forgive my ignorance about cars.  What makes a car desirable?  Is it the way it looks?  The way it rides?  The posh inside?  Maybe I'm too poor to own most of these cars.  If I have one, I don't think I would take it out of the garbage for fear of damaging it.  I can't go to Walmart in it because it doesn't have much trunk space.  What can I do with it?  What am I missing?

Feeling the growl again

And really I don't care so much about cars now anyway. They're just things, that have to be maintained.

+1.  My favorite car is really one that goes for as long as possible after it is paid off.  Ford forced the replacement of my Contour at 12 years old when they decided to deal with a defective brake controller by simply stopping the manufacture of the part rather than do a recall.  But my free-from-a-family-member GMC Sierra is now 22 years old and still truckin'....dropped a couple thousand into it this spring so I'm hoping to wring another three years from it.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Forgive my ignorance about cars.  What makes a car desirable?  Is it the way it looks?  The way it rides?  The posh inside?  Maybe I'm too poor to own most of these cars.  If I have one, I don't think I would take it out of the garbage for fear of damaging it.  I can't go to Walmart in it because it doesn't have much trunk space.  What can I do with it?  What am I missing?

Depends on the car...for the old muscle cars (the only thing I get really excited about) it was raw speed and power.  They certainly were not posh/comfy inside and didn't corner all that well.  But they went like hell in a straight line.

Cars are eye candy for me.  I like to look at them but I've never buy any of them shown here.  I drive a 2007 Accord...bought used...or a 1991 GMC Sierra.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Depends on the car...for the old muscle cars (the only thing I get really excited about) it was raw speed and power.  They certainly were not posh/comfy inside and didn't corner all that well.  But they went like hell in a straight line.

Cars are eye candy for me.  I like to look at them but I've never buy any of them shown here.  I drive a 2007 Accord...bought used...or a 1991 GMC Sierra.

Yeah...if I had what most people consider a dream car I'd likely treat it like Cameron's dad did...and we know how that ended.

That's why I'd go with a rally car.  It would still be useful as a daily driver and rock on snow.  Most dream cars need to be garaged for Winter.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

+1.  My favorite car is really one that goes for as long as possible after it is paid off.  Ford forced the replacement of my Contour at 12 years old when they decided to deal with a defective brake controller by simply stopping the manufacture of the part rather than do a recall.  But my free-from-a-family-member GMC Sierra is now 22 years old and still truckin'....dropped a couple thousand into it this spring so I'm hoping to wring another three years from it.  Big grin

That's related to where I was going with my post. I don't dream of the car necessarily, I dream of the life where I actually get use out of some cars. I do absolutely enjoy the feeling of power and control in a sports car. If I still lived in NC, I would probably drive something different than I do now. There have been at least a few occasions per year that I would not have been able to do significant business if I weren't able to drive well and far in bad weather. Really bad weather. Likewise, I loved my previous car. It was a 2001 Sentra that I beat like a redheaded illegitimate mule. I paid cash for it new with some inheritance money. It was crazy reliable, and I was able to Gorilla glue some body parts back on without causing and noticeable cosmetic change. Having a reliable and efficient car carried me through a decade that I had no money in. 

I was really tempted recently to buy an old Subaru Brat as a camping mobile. I realized what I really wanted was to live in a place and time where I had a legitimate use for it. I would love to be back living in the mountains of NM or WY, with the time to use it, and friends who would enjoy dirt roads in jump seats. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

You're not missing anything...  cars do nothing for me either, except get me from point A to point B when walking or my bike don't work.

I'd take early retirement over fast cars anyday.  Then I could live in that XV I posted and travel the world and run.  (though I wouldn't buy that thing, I'd build one out of an old box truck).

You're not missing anything...  cars do nothing for me either, except get me from point A to point B 

I'd take early retirement over fast cars anyday.  

Yup.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slice

My dear husband pimped my ride for me for Christmas. He took my old Challenger and had it completely gutted and redone. It used to be lavender with white interior and a white vinyl top. Now it's red and has an R/T package on it. It's not actually an R/T but it looks AWESOM5E! He surprised me by having the valet at dinner bring it around last night. I didn't even know it was my beloved first car!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/272524_4173454848748_1073864916_o.jpghttps://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/464827_4173451048653_1126720524_o.jpg

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Mine shows in my avatar- I have owned it for 14 years.

That's me driving it at Mosport race track.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

@slice nice looking Challenger. Never owned a mopar, but they sure had a bunch of good looking cars in the late 60s/early 70s. Willis

this is mine:

t'was my first ever car back in '88, given to me by my Uncle when I passed my test.  it was a veritable fucking death-trap by all accounts; ropey suspension, addled steering, demented tracking & wheel-balancing, misfiring cylinders, rusty, ripped vinyl roof, leaking oil sump, temperamental wind-screen wipers etc. etc. yet i loved that piece of shit nonetheless Smile

memories,

misty greasy oil-splattered Haynes Manual head-shaking inspired memories,

of the way we were

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

kcam

Cool thread.  I'm driving my dream car now - 2011 Subaru Forester Hatchback, 5 speed manual trans.  My wife and I take it all over the Sierra (we've camped in the back of it several times but mostly pitch a tent), Death Valley, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, etc.  I love road trips.

In the spirit of the OP I picked up a 69 Olds 442 in my late 20's.  Spent a lot of time working on it, labor of love. That thing was beautiful. Swapped the 3speed on the floor with a 4speed close-ratio Muncie.  Man that thing was fast.  I think it used to get about  - no joke here - 6 mpg if you weren't babying it.  Sold it in 1989 for $4000 and now would never care to have a car like that again.  I'd rather go to a car show and admire them and then get to leave all the problems with the owners.