How much extra room should there be inside running/training shoes length wise? help! (Read 71 times)

mustachio

Is two thumbs= 1.5in or a thumb and a half=1.25in too much extra room inside running or training shoes? With my big toe touching the end of the show there is about 1.5 or 1.25 inches of extra room in a size 10. Im not sure if i will run into problems when trail running or training or if i should return them. With

If any of your toes bump up against front of the shoe when running, the shoes are too short.  Keep in mind that toe clearance while running is less than toe clearance standing still.  Better a little too much clearance than not enough, especially if the shoes are comfortable.

Of course, there is such a thing as too much clearance.  Only you can decide.

I've always been told it's one thumb width between the end of your toes and the end of the inside of the shoe, and it's worked for me.

People have different shaped feet, and this may not apply to all feet or all shoe shapes. Until recently, most shoe companies made their shoes to fit a shape of foot that did not exist (some still do)

Image may contain: text

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

mustachio

mustachio

I decided to take a picture instead. lol. What do you guys think? Is this too much room left over or reasonable enough? A bit more than a thumbs width left over inside. A half size down where slightly tight width wise.

https://prnt.sc/qqybc0

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

Judging from your picture, that is about the distance I've settled on for my running shoes.  I moved up one-half size from a couple of years ago since I had to recover from a Morton's neuroma in my right foot.  The extra space in my shoes seems to help and I'm not wearing the outer side near my little toe nearly as much over a 500 mile shoe lifetime as I did one-half size down.

It did feel a bit weird at first going to a slightly longer shoe.  I might have done okay with a wider shoe but I like the toe space I've got now and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335