Glucosamine / Chondroitin (Read 1305 times)

I have heard from some fellow runners that they swear by Glucosamine Chondroitin for their joints. Mostly this has come from older runners (late 50's and up). Has anyone tried it and/or benefitted from it?

upcoming races:

Anyone have pizza?

Funny, you should mention that. My girlfriend told me that her friend said I should take it as well. Although, I'm 42. Hey! What are they trying to say??!!! Shocked
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Can't speak for humans, but it has done wonders for my 14-1/2 year old dog. Beforehand, the ol' boy was struggling to stand up; within a week of giving him 1500mg a day, he was moving much easier. I wouldn't call him vigorous, but he's doing really well now considering his age (about 86yo human equivalent). Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

50% of people who take this have less joint pain. It does nothing to rebuild joints or protect joints. It does help that half feel less hurt.
            Thanks Trent. I've never had any joint pain but, I started taking a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement as a preventive measure. I recently stopped because I'm not convinced there's any benefit unless you're treating actual pain or condition. I hate the idea of spending on vitamins that my body doesn't really need.
              I take Glucosamine/Fish Oil/Multivitamin every morning...If I forget to take them every so often, there's not a HUGE difference, but I've heard how good it is for your joints (glucosamine) and just continue to take it... Just my $0.02 Clowning around
              "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                50% of people who take this have less joint pain. It does nothing to rebuild joints or protect joints. It does help that half feel less hurt.
                Have there been sufficient studies to confirm that there are no risks associated with taking it?

upcoming races:

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

how good it is for your joints (glucosamine)
                  It is not. It does nothing for your joints. Just for your joint pain.
                  Have there been sufficient studies to confirm that there are no risks associated with taking it?
                  Yes, however since it is a supplement rather than a drug, its manufacture is not as well controlled and so you cannot be certain that you are getting what the bottle says (and not getting any contaminants).
                    Thanks for your input, doc.

upcoming races:

bikerscott

I've started running again after not for quite a while. I've always had problems with my knees, and am finding that I'm feeling it more now that I'm a bit older than I did when I was young. The other day, my left knee was unusually sore the day after my run, and I happened to see a glucosamine suppliment in the aisle while I was shopping. I bought it and took one when I got home - not two hours later the pain in my knee was gone! I know that there's no way the suppliment would work that fast, but evidently the power of the placebo effect is greater than logic Big grin Either way, I'm going to keep taking them - at worst, I'll be spending a few pounds per month that I might not need to...
                        My two cents: I have been taking this for about a year and my joints hurt less in the mornings. may just be me or may actually work. http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/glucosamine/liquid-glucosamine.html http://www.flexicose.com/

Take my advice: Pull down you're pants and slide on the ice

It is not. It does nothing for your joints. Just for your joint pain. Yes, however since it is a supplement rather than a drug, its manufacture is not as well controlled and so you cannot be certain that you are getting what the bottle says (and not getting any contaminants).
                          Thanks for the information, Trent. I started taking this because I had read that it helped your joints. I haven't has any particular pains - so now that the bottle is empty - I'll be off this stuff unless I develop joint pain.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I started taking it onthe recommendation of my Dr who was also a runner. I have had knee problems and back fatique for years and amd not having any problems currenly. I take Move Free and will read the bottle, but I don't believe that the claim that this is for pain relief is true. The Glucosamine / Chondroitin are suppose to help lubricate the joints etc (as explianed to me by my Dr. by the way, I'm 54 and started running 4 years ago, my Dr is 60.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

JakeKnight

I started taking it onthe recommendation of my Dr who was also a runner. I have had knee problems and back fatique for years and amd not having any problems currenly. I take Move Free and will read the bottle, but I don't believe that the claim that this is for pain relief is true. The Glucosamine / Chondroitin are suppose to help lubricate the joints etc (as explianed to me by my Dr. by the way, I'm 54 and started running 4 years ago, my Dr is 60.
                              I predict a certain kosher Coke loving race director will shortly post a really, really long medical article to clear this up. I'm going to get some popcorn. And a dictionary, so I can understand the Fancy-Pants words.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey