staying hydrated long run (Read 113 times)

littleGizmo

As I have progressed from running on a treadmill to outside running I notice a problem, staying hydrated on long runs outside. Running for 2 hours in a cool gym on a treadmill didnt seem like much of a problem. However last week I ran 2 hours outside in 91 degree heat with a lot of humidity and sun on me not shaded. I really felt thirsty and developed a headache after 40 minutes but kept running for 2 hours anyway to finish run. I brought no water with me, no where to carry it? How you stay hydrated on long runs? backpack with water in it?

an amazing likeness

I have to say that you've been asking some pretty good questions along your journey of figuring things out...fun to watch your progress, now on to the water question...

There are a bunch of different things people do, but generally two approaches:  (1) carry water, and/or (2) water cached or available.

For the 'carry water' approach there are backpack water bladders, called 'hydration packs', there are belts which hold water bottles, and there are handheld water bottles which have a grip/strap so you don't need to squeeze them all the time.

These are all available in a variety of models and options from all sorts of retailers...go ahead and google 'hydration pack running' / 'hyradtion belt running' / 'handheld bottle running' and I'll bet you get a couple million results...

For the 'cached or available' approach, people plan runs with water fountains in the route, some people carry money and stop into a store, other people stash water ahead of time along the route they plan to run.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zebano

littleGizmo - Milktruck answered your question really well so I'll just add I really like to wear a hat in absurd heat like that and half the water I carry gets dumped on my head or in my hat. Some people swear by salt sticks or electrolyte drinks when it's that hot, just some things to experiment with if you don't feel straight water is doing the trick.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Hydration pack with a 1.5 liter bladder is on me whenever I run more than 5 miles in normal weather or always in hot weather. I put a lot of ice in mine which I can feel a bit of a cooling effect on my back when sweaty. There are also lots of pockets for snacks/gels. The 1.5L will last me a 2-hour run if I am not squirting the water on myself, which I always do in hot weather. I also like to think the little bit of extra weight adds a little resistance during training runs but it is minimal.

I like to have my hands free so I don't like carrying a hand bottle, no matter how fancy. During a race where heat is a factor, I will stash frozen water bottles on the course which mostly melt by the time I get to them.

I would also point out that you are not yet acclimated to the heat going from the A/C in the gym to the heat outside. Hard to pack enough water with you to not feel the effects of the heat dragging on you. I run outside year round whether hot/cold or sunny/raining which acclimates me for different times of the year and personally hate the treadmill.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Gotta say, running two hours at a humid 91F is brutal if not dangerous.  Think it might be a good idea to pare back your long run by a half hour or so when it's that hot?

ccoakley

Running vest with 2 20oz flasks.  One for water and one for Gatorade.  2 hrs is about the limit before I need to refill fluids.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Cash in a ziloc bag. Most of my runs are never more than a mile from a grocery store, gas station, fast food or convenience store. I carry some cash in a zipp loc bag for when I need it. There is a water fountain at some of the county parks, so sometimes I run past there as well.

Everyone has a personal favorite strategy.

One I use is to know where the drinking fountains are, that way you don't have to carry anything. Do your long run at a big park or someplace that has drinking fountains.

When that's not available because of the route, usually a long trail run, I use either a Utility Belt (like the Nathan Pinnacle, Salomon Sense, or Ultimate Direction) to hold 1-2 250-300ml soft flasks, or for longer excursions a running vest with front pockets and a pair of 500ml soft flasks. Depending on the distance and temps. Sometimes it's a combo, like using a single small bottle running up Mt Tamalpais, and refilling it from the drinking fountain at the top.

I don't like to carry things in my hands when I run (I can hardly tolerate wearing a watch!), or drinking out of tubes from a back sack. A lot of the hydration packs with tubes aren't balanced very well, and the extra stuff just ads weight. The good running belts, the step-through elastic kind, not the ones with buckles, work surprisingly well to keep bottles from bouncing, I always use soft flasks so I can suck all the air out, so they won't slosh. And they pack smaller, especially as you drink the water!

It's good to know how much water you actually need. Do a test where you weigh yourself (nekked) before a one hour run, and again after. Don't eat or drink anything between weigh-ins. The amount of weight lost can be calculated in the number of ounces/ml of water you lost, and should be replaced. That's an overly simplified way to go about it, with no fancy algorithms or computations with variables such as humidity, sun angle, etc. but it's good enough. For me, in 80-90 degree heat, 500ml per hour is my rate of water loss/demand, more or less.

And never confuse fatigue for dehydration, I got a bit of hyponatremia doing a Grand Canyon run, and threw up a bunch or water about 30 minutes after getting back to the top. I learned from that to KNOW what my water needs are (via above method), and to use more of what plants crave in my fluids.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Everyone has a personal favorite strategy.

One I use is to know where the drinking fountains are, that way you don't have to carry anything. Do your long run at a big park or someplace that has drinking fountains.

In really hot, I've been known to run loops near home so I can have a water station on my front step. It also lets me stop if I need to. As Surly Bill points out, it can be dangerous running in the heat if you aren't careful. I'm a solo runner so I need to self-monitor; my family knows how long my loops should be and they try to be there to meet me as I pass so they can check on me.

Be smart when running in the heat. Cut a run short if you need to. Your health is more important than hitting a mileage number.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

For the 'carry water' approach there are backpack water bladders, called 'hydration packs', there are belts which hold water bottles, and there are handheld water bottles which have a grip/strap so you don't need to squeeze them all the time.

I think this list is roughly in reverse order of price. Unless you immediately know which one is right for you, you might start with the lowest price option and move up if needed. Some have said they can't stand to have something in their hand; I used to say that too, but I bought an Amphipod 20 oz handheld, and I find I don't really even notice it.

Dave

MoBramExam

To add to what others have suggested, a key to being able to stay hydrated during long runs, or any other physical activity in extreme heat and humidity, is to make sure you are well hydrated to begin the run.

SMART Approach

Great advice above. I also want to state intensity should be adjusted on long runs when warm. Another key thing is you probably want to have alot of 4-6 hours of training running weeks before doing 2 hour long runs. When your aerobic base is robust you can better able to handle the stresses of longer runs. Mid week mikes are every bit as important. Stay safe.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

+1 on the advices.

I've noticed as I've aged that hydration needs change. I used to be a camel, hour long runs in the heat and never felt thirsty, and never had dark urine afterwards. Now, M59, I have to pay attention to hydration. I suspect dehydration contributed in part to some kidney stones in the last couple years; several times after long runs I would have dark urine, sometimes disturbingly dark. Weeks later, BAM! kidney stone. To be fair, maybe the running/dehydration just exposed the presence, not caused it. Then I started actively hydrating, not just "drinking to thirst". Don't have that issue (dark urine or kidney stones) anymore, so I'll say it's the active hydration.

Hydrating BEFORE running is good advice, I forgot about that!

If you have a glass of water before a run, it would be well over an hour before you need to take in any more fluids to stay within acceptable hydration range. Water is absorbed through the intestines, and only so much can traverse per hour. If that water before a run makes you need to urinate a ways into your run, fear not, THOSE fluids were already in or on the way to your bladder and aren't helping you much, anyway. Hydration is over-hyped. For me, the goal isn't to be perfectly hydrated for optimum performance at all times, like those people who can't even walk to the store without taking their sippy-cup of water with them, but to not have detrimental effects, it's OK to be at levels less than optimum, especially when you can replenish right after your run. X-amount per hour while running anything longer than 2 hours, and after running, seems to do the trick for me.

Now, if you're racing, you want to stay at optimum levels, and that's going to take some research, measuring, and experimentation to determine what's best for you.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My husband had kidney stones a couple of years ago.  The urologist told him the MAIN thing to do is drink tons of water.  So he sets his phone alarm to go off four times a day and he drinks 16 ounces of water each time.  He's also cut back on his salt a lot.  They told him some food he should stay away from, such as spinach (apparently the advice can differ from person to person!), but they also said as long as he continues drinking water the way he is, he'll be fine.  He's had to go for checkups every six months up until now, but he's been cleared to come back yearly after this.

jeffdonahue

Throw $5 in a pocket and plan your runs out so you pass by a store or somewhere you can run in adn buy a water.