Anyone else run and doing Weight Watchers? (Read 709 times)

Supersono99

I'm new here and trying to figure out where things go. I'd love to participate in a user group centered around running and weight watchers. Does one exist and I'm overlooking it or would anyone else be interested in discussing points and running?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We do have a weight loss group...it's been really quiet in recent months, but I expect things to pick up after the holidays.  In a few weeks we'll be starting our Winter challenge.  I'm personally going to be experimenting with a ketogenic plan as soon as I finish my last cyclocross race of the season in a week.  I originally started running almost 7 years ago to lose my last few pounds...instead more have found their way onto my ass.  I simply cannot lose on a high carb diet, but lost really well (60#s) years ago on low carbs.  I've been reading a lot about low-moderate intensity endurance cardio and ketogenic performance.  I hope to take off at least 15-20#s this Winter on steady-state runs and bike rides before going back to higher-effort activities come Spring (I suspect low-carbs will not lend well to the increased "interval" intensity nature of mountain biking).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Supersono99

I looked at that group but didn't understand it because it doesn't show a forum? I'd love the motivation of a weight loss challenge! I'll have to look at the ketogenic plan you are talking about, I've never heard of it. 

runfoolery

You need to click Join. Then the forum appears. It's not password protected

Supersono99

Blush

Oh 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You have to join to see the forum.  It's semi-private, that way.

The essence of ketogenic diets is to force one's body to adapt to a fat-burning metabolism by not feeding it it's preferred quick energy source.  Humans can and do survive well on limited carbs (the Inuit and Masaai are 2 peoples who demonstrate this).  Atkins is an example of a ketogenic diet, where one eats only very low-glycemic carb sources, like lettuce, veggies, berries and very limited whole grains...no refined sugar, no white potatoes.  A lot of people on paleo-style diets eat very restricted carbs, too.  This guy has a really interesting blog chronicling his own experiences.

~ Sarah Kay

Supersono99

This explains a lot, like why a diet worked that a friend of mine did. 

I did running and weight watchers 7 or so years ago.  In fact, one of the reasons I started running more was to get the activity points. Big grin I generally would give myself 1 point for each mile I ran up to 6 miles.  Once I went over 6 miles, I would add an extra point.  For example, if I ran 8 miles, I gave myself 9 points.  If I went over 12 miles, I would add two points (i.e. if I ran 12 miles, I got 14 points).  At that time, I was training for my first half marathon. I know different things work for different people, but that worked for me. I was trying to balance the need for energy with losing weight.  If I was too tired and hungry to run, I wouldn't do it.  I also found that too few points would actually stall my weight loss.  

This was on the older plan, and I have no idea what the new plans are like. 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Supersono99

I run/walk so I use the moderate level activity to determine my points and that seems to work. This is the new plan. I think at my speed, it comes out to a bit less than a point per mile. 

old-runner

I'm a big believer in Weight Watchers, so if you start a group let me know and I'll join. I've been running for four years now and when I first started I lost 50 pounds with a combination of running and Weight Watchers. I'm not currently active in Weight Watchers but I did the new plan (Points Plus) for several months this past year and it's great. I keep on getting down to a great running weight for me then backsliding and gaining 10 pounds or so before I get back on the wagon. It's time for me to get back on right now as a matter of fact.

Supersono, 

I lost a bunch of weight with WW when I first started running.  I had about 15 more to lose and then I put about 15 back on due to injury - so now have a total of 30 to get rid of - ugh.   I keep trying to get back on track with the eating with WW but keep backsliding.  I would be open to participating in a group.  I may take a look at the weight loss group mentioned earlier.   

You can call me Anna

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WW folks are always free to use the weight loss board for any discussion.  We do general 3 month challenges where most folks set a goal to lose ~5% of their body weight.  We're all using different approaches.

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, Zoom.   

I joined and am taking a look around.  It may help me stay focused on my intake and keeping it low.....or at least lower than it has been while bemoaning my injured leg.    

You can call me Anna

Maggie & Molly

never even knew that was there.  I joined so I can check things out later!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Run Like a Mother

Amy, I'm here!  And of course still doing WW.  I just bought the new electronic scale yesterday.  The generally accepted rule on the WW boards is that you earn 1 PP for every 80 calories burned (it used to be 100 calories on the old points system).  I would participate in a WW group, or even the weight loss group that was mentioned.  I need the encouragement too Smile

Linda