Using 5K Races as Hard Workout (Read 59 times)

dcowboys31

Hello,

My goal for 2018 was to train for 5K races only and hopefully get below a 7:00 mile average pace. However my life turned upside down in February after suddenly losing my wife and our house being listed in May. Still managed to run three days a week all summer and raced once in July and once in August. The sub 7:00 mile will likely not happen this year but I am at about 7:35 mile average for most races and in our area (eastern Massachusetts / Metrowest) they tend not to be flat courses, at least the ones I have done. Originally planned on doing one race a month.

I finally blew up around Labor day weekend and took that week off, went to the DR. to get all blood work done (all negative)  and since then have done a 5K race every weekend and am using that as the only hard effort of the week. Managed to find a great balance by accident (training below). So just wanted to gather some thoughts/opinions on using the race as the hard effort for the week as I was doing intervals on Wednesdays before this.  Really like getting out to the races and generally feel great afterwards. Since my wife's passing the loneliness and struggles to move forward have been overwhelming and have found competing every week has been something to get me out doing something, but also wanted opinions on if this is overdoing it. Thank You in advance.

SAT/SUN 5K race = 7:35 mile average / 180/185 bpm average plus 1.5 to 2 miles easy (50% walking) warm up/down

SAT/SUN Easy 6 miles = 10:00 mile average / 140/145 bpm average / plus 2 mile walk

WED Tempo 4 miles = 8:30/8:35 mile average / 160/164 bpm average

FRI Easy 2 miles = 9:00 mile average / 150/154 bpm average

Jay

It may just be my level of fitness...

but I know after a 5k race I'm pretty sore beat up for a few days, I could easy run here and there, I think If I raced a 5k each weekend it would limit my running workouts in between races.

I do count my 5k race as a workout though, a tempo run/race what have you.

But have at it! race every weekend!

You could always race 1 5k, then next weekend, run 1 at tempo/10k pace or whatever, or even easy pace. Just throwing some ideas your way...

I wanted to run some intervals today, but I'm too sore to have a quality workout, trying not to make excuses for myself but also being honest with myself.

PS- I'd love to run a 5k@7min. pace, hopefully next season... trying to go sub 30mins this year.

300m- 37 sec.

an amazing likeness

Jay -- to this reader, it sounds like you're getting great benefits from your race weekends...socially and the workout. Don't question it, brother, keep it rolling.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

PDoe

Sounds very reasonable to me. I also like the way you have set up the week though I would try to get in a fourth day during the week depending on whether race day is Sat or Sun.

Ex. Race Sat

Sun- easy day, 10:00 avg

Mon-off

Tue- Tempo day with some W/U and C/D

Wed- off

Th- another easy day

Fri- short and easy again

Sat or Sun- race day

As you get more fit and feel up to it, fill in the off days with easy days and lengthen out a couple of them.

SMART Approach

Go for it but run 3 easy miles after the race. This will buffer some of anaerobic stresses of the race and help with continued progress. It becomes a more functional and a better work out day if you can add more miles around this intense session.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'd second MT's advice to keep doing what you are doing and you'll get below that 7:00 min pace soon.  All it takes is one good weather day on a day you are feeling good and execute on the right course.

Do you have any running groups you can run with on the weekdays.  I got faster when I was running with others at-least once a week.  This used to be my tempo or long run run for the week. The past few years I've regressed substantially because I don't race much and run by myself after I moved to a different area.