Medium Run (Read 194 times)

robertaajr

How many miles should my medium run be?

Feeling the growl again

That's not much to go on...given you provided nothing as context or goals.  But looking at your log, 6-7 miles.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

About 50% longer than your regular run or what Spaniel said (as always)

an amazing likeness

Rather than distance, consider thinking about in terms of time. Since your most common run is between 30-35 minutes and your longer runs are 80-95 minutes -- a good midweek long would be in the 60 minute range. Let the distance be what it may depending and get the time stretched out to 60-70 minutes.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

How many miles should my medium run be?

It's hard to see where you're going. You have a 10K, 1/2, and full marathon on your calendar in the next 4 months. Your training log shows easy 4 mile runs every day with a long run every week or two. Your training plan shows that continuing.

Where would you insert these medium runs? Why are you running an easy 4 everyday? You're running in the 7's and 8's. Is that an easy 4 for you or is it taxing? Your last few long runs have been in the mid 9's. Is that your training plan? Run multiple 4 mile runs in the 7-8 mm and long runs at 9:30ish?

I'm not judging. You run your own plan that works for you. I'm just trying to figure out what is your goal for these upcoming runs?

For me as an experiment of one. I find that running my 7 mile loop 4 times a week with a mix of medium-long and long runs works for me. I consider anything 8-12 miles a medium long run, the standard marathon training plan long run (14-20) miles a long run and if I'm going over that it gets to Ultra pace training. Also, anything slower than a 10:30ish pace would be considered ultra pace training.

You kind of have to figure out what's best for you for pace and distance but I'd say to reassess if an easy 4 every day is really where you want to be. Maybe it is, but it seems unique.

robertaajr

My 4 mile runs are normally a pretty easy pace. Some days are faster than others depending on the temperature and humidity and how tired I am. I don't really know what kind of training I should be doing for a marathon. The reason my 10 miles are a long run is because those take a lot out of me. My goals are to run that 10k in under 40:00. I don't know if I can get my pace down that much though. The half and full I just want to finish with an 8 or 9 minute pace. But short races like 5k and 10k I'm all about time. I want to do a 6 minute pace of possible for me. So I figured doing a medium run in the middle of the week instead of all 4 mile runs. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Feeling the growl again

You are on the right track running a mid-week long run.  My personal recommendation, based off your log, would be to hold off on doing a marathon for another year.  You just don't have enough running in.  You clearly have some natural ability to be doing the paces you are doing, but I would never recommend someone do something that is really above where they are at and likely to lead to a poor outcome.

Injuries suck.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

robertaajr

Thanks Spaniel, yeah the nice part is I have 4 months to still prepare. I'll do the half marathon and see how I feel and do with that. I believe I can do it because I have a couple months and I'm already half way there almost. A month ago I was running 2 miles now I can run 11. I'll be up to 20+ by November. Any ideas how to get my speed up for that 10k?

Feeling the growl again

Any ideas how to get my speed up for that 10k?

How long have you been running?  Did you literally start when your log did?

The biggest thing you can do now to get faster for 10K is focus on running more.  Speed during workouts is almost irrelevant at this point.  That comes later.

If you want, one tempo run per week with 20-25 minutes at a solid but comfortable pace....roughly what you feel you could hold for 1 hour in a race.  But you should not do this until you can do it without reducing your overall mileage for the week.

Why is it sideways?

1) Longer than a short run, shorter than a long run.

2) Long enough to feel some fatigue towards the end of the run, short enough to still feel strong.

3) Short enough that you could do it a couple days in a row with no problem.

4) Long enough that running it every day might start to wear you down.

5) Short enough you can run a good steady effort on it if you feel good.

6) Long enough that you can get in a flow and stay there for a while.

jfa

Ah, the medium long run. The unheralded star of all good marathon training programs.