Race Director Gifts - Normal? (Read 639 times)

So I was looking at the website for the Metro Health Grand Rapids Marathon, and noticed something which struck me as odd on the race day FAQ: "Bring a bottle of decent beer or a pint glass from your local microbrewery as a gift for the race director." http://www.grandrapidsmarathon.com/race_day.aspx (2nd to last item) Roll eyes I've never noticed this before, is it some sort of tradition or something for marathons? Either way, I like the cut of the guys jib, just seems sorta strange, haha.
      Sounds like something I'd try to pull Smile It cuts down on his costs of throwing get togethers at his place as he already has the beer.

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow, great idea. Big grin - Trent (a RD)
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I ran the GR HM last year (awesome race, BTW--can't wait to do it again this year!)...the beer thing is really tongue-in-cheek. Backroadrunner and I each brought him a bottle--apparently they really weren't prepared for people to actually bring beer, but I found a great Scottish ale (Skull Splitter), so I figured it would be nice to share. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tongue in cheek? Oh no. I'm thinking beer in cheek. I will prepare an email to my race participants shortly... Evil grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mmm...beer... Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hah, that's a great idea! I will have to see if I can sneak that onto our race form for the New England Mile next year...heheh.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I'd bet that it was a 'test' to see who actually reads the whole thing. Good luck, Trent. Let us know how it turns out! Smile Hah!
                  "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."