At what speed does bipedal forward propulsion... (Read 234 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

We walk and run only because that's all the modern shoe will allow you to do.

The elite athletes of the world don't walk or run, they move. Speed, economy, agility, acceleration, and load bearing are describable and different locomotion techniques. Of the six, your running technique is the least efficient and the one the training and shoe industry demands you follow.

That it sucks is your problem.

If you don't know the other five techniques, then you know very little...

Your goal is to utilize the least amount of energy required to attain the speed you choose.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

T Hound

Slower but happier

I think of myself as a foot racer.  Some running, some walking, some lounging around at the snack table.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

First off, you'd be highly incorrect to state humans are bipedal. We're quadrupeds.

Second point to your question is easy. If you start walking on a treadmill, and slowly increase your speed, at some point you have to stop walking and start running. It's called your walk to run transition speed.

Most runners, would transition anywhere between 3.0 and 3.5MPH. Of course the lower your transition speed, the less efficient you move.

Oh, and I've been documented to walk at 9MPH.

Once a person stops crawling, how often do you see them moving on all fours?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

We're closer to arboreal quadrupeds than brachiators, but closer to terrestrial quadrupeds than we are to arboreal quadrupeds. The intermembral index shows that humans really are bipedal, though.

(FINALLY! I got to use some useless info from college primatology class in the 80's!)

T Hound

Slower but happier

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Given we're bombarded by advertising barfing at us that buying expensive shoes with only mere ounces in weight difference will make you run faster, then the question I was asked is very basic; why don't armless athletes win marathons?

If a human arm weighs anywhere from 12-18lbs each, why don't runners with a 32lb weight advantage win races????

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Birdwell

why don't armless athletes win marathons?

If a human arm weighs anywhere from 12-18lbs each, why don't runners with a 32lb weight advantage win races????

Well, considering that often times hard works requires rolling up your sleeves and getting your hand dirty, it's fairly understandable why those who aren't willing to use a little elbow grease to get things done probably miss out on winning.

I mean, it's probably very nearly in their grasp, but they just can't get there fingers on it!

It's really a shame, almost the pits. To be so close to victory and watch it slip through your hands.

If you can't hold on, what can you do? Sitting around picking your nose isn't gonna get it done.

Of course, worrying about it and chewing off your finger nails doesn't help.

At the end of the day, It's understandable.

rlopez

Good God, it's a new generation of ra people interacting with this crank.

Don't do it.

Just walk away.

It won't do any good. He went dumpster diving, zombied a thread, and voila.

Just say no.

Prince of Fatness

Good God, it's a new generation of ra people interacting with this crank.

Don't do it.

Just walk away.

It won't do any good. He went dumpster diving, zombied a thread, and voila.

Just say no.

You forgot this.

Not at it at all. 

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Funny that in answering the question for the biomechanic research group of the US Army is why I was to save the US Army $3.9 million they were wasting in biomechanic research. Maybe that explains why I train Navy SEALs and you don't.

Maybe that's why I could teach you to run 20% faster in an hour and you aren't even smart enough to ask how I do it.

That's the difference between being an internet idiot posting on the same web page for years and being invited to present your research at military training conferences.

I mean, when your students are orthopedic surgeons for both the Army and Marine Corps, as well as the medical and training command of the US Army Rangers maybe explains why I'm training them and you aren't...

Joann Y

Dwight!

I was paid by the NSA to post this information at their secret seminar under Cheyenne Mountain. Afterwards, we went to Cave of The Winds for ice cream. In case you missed it, I'm kind of a big deal.