don't see improvement (Read 138 times)

jsimms435

I ran for about a year between March 2018 and this year and then took a few months off due to focusing on getting use to an insulin pump and dealing with some other health issues.  I started back recently and it feels like I never ran before.  I can get about 15 minutes or so of running in outside and then have to do the walk/run thing.  I do a little better on a treadmill.

I just feel like since I ran for almost a year I should be able to make more progress than this and wonder what is wrong with me that I ran a 30 minute 5k in late March and now can't complete 30 minutes of running at all?

Is that typical for people to lose their ability so fast?

I am currently doing two days of strength training and three days of running and plan to up the running to 4 days a week soon.  Mainly I am doing the run/walk thing when I can't seem to run anymore, but I feel like I am not getting any signs of progress.

Sorry to vent.  I don't have many running friends to ask questions to.

an amazing likeness

After a "few months" off, you are basically starting from scratch.  Keep at the walk/run mix, it's the right way to build your base miles back. Use care...don't hammer the run sections -- the run sections should be low impact jogs, not sprints. Over time (weeks) your mix of walk time versus run time will change to more run and less walk. Listen to your body's signals as you change that mix.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Don't despair!  You will get it back.  It took a few months to get out of shape so it will probably take a bit of time to regain lost fitness.  Keep at it.  

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Altair5

Runs in the rain

It is amazing how fast you can lose fitness that took months to build up. I think it is the cellular metabolic stuff that goes fastest followed by aerobic fitness and it takes longer to lose structural stuff like circulatory system, strong tendons and joints. Of course to build up again the order would be reversed.  So you may not quite be back to square one and may gradually build up to where you were faster than you expect.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

paul2432

You are also running during the hottest time of year (looks like you are in North Carolina). Even with no break at all, you would expect to be slower in the summer heat.

Christirei

Hang in there, injuries have kept me from running off and on and I'm always shocked by how much fitness I lose after a couple of weeks or months off. It's totally normal and just hang in there and keep plugging away, remember how it felt and what you did to build up your fitness in the first place and plan to just start over. It's okay, pretty much everyone has to do it in one way or another at some point.

Early this summer I was marathon training and hitting 40-50 miles per week and then got hit with a knee problem Sad after time off i'm changing some things and basically running 10-15 miles per week. It was a hit to the self esteem, but hopefully i'm making changes for the better so that I won't have to regress so far in the future!

You got this, stick with it!

SMART Approach

Take time. Plan your walk  breaks rather than being forced to take them. This will encourage your development. Like run 8 min easier pace and walk 1 min. Repeat. Progress from there over next month. It will come back just be smart with your training. Nice support here. Also check out I Love To Run Facebook community for crazy support. I am a coach there. Feel free to reach out. Don't worry about your pace. Do a biweekly check where you run continuously without walking and see how you do.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

dhuffman63

Trails

There is absolutely nothing wrong with walking.  Having major health issues will take time to rebuild up.  There are people...ultramarathoners who walk their races...one lady did the 3100 miles in 52 days at Sri Chimnoy, she's also walked over 100 marathons.  Did you run before 2018 or was that your first year?  If so you still need to build a base.  Take your time, running will always be there.

jsimms435

You are also running during the hottest time of year (looks like you are in North Carolina). Even with no break at all, you would expect to be slower in the summer heat.

That's true to some degree, but I am running early in the morning when the sun really isn't up yet

jsimms435

There is absolutely nothing wrong with walking.  Having major health issues will take time to rebuild up.  There are people...ultramarathoners who walk their races...one lady did the 3100 miles in 52 days at Sri Chimnoy, she's also walked over 100 marathons.  Did you run before 2018 or was that your first year?  If so you still need to build a base.  Take your time, running will always be there.

I've run on and off for several years.  I actually did a 10k about five years ago.  I always seem to try to start off too fast and end up sometimes injuring myself (twisting an ankle or pulling a muscle).

GinnyinPA

1) If you're in the south, it may be cooler in the morning, but the humidity is higher. Humidity affects your running even more than temperature.

2) Slow down. One reason you find it easier on the TM is you can control the pace better. Keep your pace slow and easy. Forget about the paces you used to be able to run, just jog slowly now until you regain your fitness.

jsimms435

thank you.  I am constantly telling myself especially in the beginning to slow down.  I know the rule is that you should be able to have a conversation with someone else without straining.

Mr MattM

What other have said is absolutely correct.  Fitness is lost pretty fast, but the good news is that having attained a good prior level of fitness, you can often regain fitness more quickly.

Good luck with your running!

be curious; not judgmental

jsimms435

i was surprised when I was able to do 34 minutes of running outside this morning without stopping.  Walked for about 15 minutes after that.  Running for 30 minutes was my first goal.  I'm starting week 3 of my exercise plan today

sophiaK

I don't see much of an improvement in terms of running, but I keep it up for the health, plus, it feels good after.