Half marathon either 9 or 6 weeks before first marathon- which better? (Read 35 times)

mk885

Hi

I am running first marathon in Philadelphia on Nov 21 and loosely following Higdon Novice 2 with adaptions as I was running 25 miles a week with 10 mile long run before starting.

I am considering either Coney Island half on sep 12 or jersey shore half on oct 3

not sure which would be better timing for my marathon on nov 21?

Also planning to reduce long run the week prior and after hm to maybe 10 or 12 although the higdon plan doesn’t seem to have taper or recovery for hm.

Thoughts?

Thanks again- really appreciate the collective wisdom

Mike

SMART Approach

Either is fine. Chose the course more like the marathon course. After your HALF run 2-3 more miles right after or later in day and you have an amazing conditioning day. Without seeing your plan it is hard to make recommendations around your long runs. So many variables. This is benefit of having a coach.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

To me, a half during a marathon cycle has two goals:

- serve as fitness test to predict marathon finish time, and determine what pace to go out at

- get off a strong performance, since you're in good shape

For both, the one 6 weeks out works better. You will be better trained, and closer to the level you'll be at on marathon day (although maybe a bit more fatigued). Also the later race will likely have cooler temps (I am assuming hilliness is comparable).

Your call on the long run the weekend before & after, but I wouldn't worry about it. I only do about a half-week mini-taper/recovery on either side of the race. I avoid any hard mid-week speed workout the week before & after, but the weekends on either side are not impacted.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

To me, a half during a marathon cycle has two goals:

- serve as fitness test to predict marathon finish time, and determine what pace to go out at

- get off a strong performance, since you're in good shape

I'd add a third - you can get a really strong lactate threshold stimulus from racing a half-marathon all out.  It's a race, but it also has value as a big workout (that needs to be tapered for and recovered from).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.